The Republican Utopia

4 minutes ago, ZRod said:

There was some talk of phasing out gas stoves from what I hear. I think it has to do with the build up of CO that is inevitable since they leak, and the fact that most aren't vented outside.

ahhh....so ronny is getting his gun all polished for the defense of his gas oven

10 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

.except that it plays well with her desired audience, somehow.  The people that vote for these politicians though…that’s who I blame for the current conditions.

JJ, I agree with much of what you said.  One piece I would add or maybe it’s a possible disagreement with you on this is that the more outlandish a politician gets, the more media coverage they get and therefore more exposure and name recognition for being outlandish but not really accomplishing anything. (Like you said, happens on each side)  These politicians end up raising more money nationally, have secure seats because they are generally in safe districts and it’s just a repetitive cycle.  Pavlovs dog in a weird way. The politician gets rewarded, the media gets rewarded with sound bites to talk about for 24-48 hours and the crazy voters get to see their favorites on TV.  

Many of the good politicians who are the ones putting forth good bills are the politicians we hardly know or hear from.   Would like to see them on the news cycle more 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, commando said:

they will slap his wrist and call it good.  george is going nowhere

Memba that time Al Franken resigned because he took an in appropriate picture of a sleeping woman when he was a comedian years before?

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

They desperately need the customer service too. If you call the IRS the system is basically entirely automated and you can never talk to an actual person. They also sent me several letters last year that I was late or didn't pay my taxes at all, even though it was all documented and I have receipts. I should have been able to check the status of the claim, or speak with someone to verify that they see my payment on the IRS side, but nope. Just have to wait for them to catch up and the letters to stop. It's a complete cluster f#&% thanks to these jerk offs. Just another unneeded stressor in my life thanks to the GOP.

And that's not even me b!^@hing about the fact both parties kowtow to the likes of Quicken and Grover Norquist so that we're forced to pay to do our taxes that are required by the government, and that the code is archaic and confusing for the average American.

• Plus1 1

13 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I actually think I have a pretty good grip on why so many politicians embrace the crazy. Plain and simple, it works for them. Politicians, either party, tend to be the slimiest among us. They’ll do and say anything that gets them elected and that keeps their election coffers full. So whack jobs like MTG etc. are not all that surprising. Although they constantly give us reasons to wonder WTF. “Supposed plane at the Pentagon”….apparently MTG didn’t see the news coverage on 911.  Not sure how she can imply a plane didn’t hit the Pentagon or that it’s all some sort of conspiracy….except that it plays well with her desired audience, somehow.  The people that vote for these politicians though…that’s who I blame for the current conditions.

Here's the research I was talking about if you're interested.  You asked so I figured I'd take a stab at it.

https://www.apa.org/news/apa/2020/conspiracy-theories

Conspiracy theories make people feel as though they have some sort of control over the world,” Romer says. “They can be psychologically reassuring, especially in uncertain times.

those lower on agreeableness, conscientiousness, and humility were more likely to embrace both general conspiracy theories

That second quote....ooph.  Not that we have any disagreeable narcissists posting conspiracy theories here almost daily ..lol

• Plus1 3
26 minutes ago, ZRod said:

They desperately need the customer service too. If you call the IRS the system is basically entirely automated and you can never talk to an actual person. They also sent me several letters last year that I was late or didn't pay my taxes at all, even though it was all documented and I have receipts. I should have been able to check the status of the claim, or speak with someone to verify that they see my payment on the IRS side, but nope. Just have to wait for them to catch up and the letters to stop. It's a complete cluster f#&% thanks to these jerk offs. Just another unneeded stressor in my life thanks to the GOP.

And that's not even me b!^@hing about the fact both parties kowtow to the likes of Quicken and Grover Norquist so that we're forced to pay to do our taxes that are required by the government, and that the code is archaic and confusing for the average American.

Exactly.  I've been saying that for a long time.  The IRS desperately needs a system upgrade and more people to provide customer service.  Your situation here doesn't have anything to do with if the tax code is complicated or not.  It's simply needing to verify that you did pay your taxes. I've been in this exact same boat.  It's damn frustrating that one major party thinks that good customer service at the IRS is somehow attacking working class Americans and needs to be cut.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

JJ, I agree with much of what you said.  One piece I would add or maybe it’s a possible disagreement with you on this is that the more outlandish a politician gets, the more media coverage they get and therefore more exposure and name recognition for being outlandish but not really accomplishing anything. (Like you said, happens on each side)  These politicians end up raising more money nationally, have secure seats because they are generally in safe districts and it’s just a repetitive cycle.  Pavlovs dog in a weird way. The politician gets rewarded, the media gets rewarded with sound bites to talk about for 24-48 hours and the crazy voters get to see their favorites on TV.  

Many of the good politicians who are the ones putting forth good bills are the politicians we hardly know or hear from.   Would like to see them on the news cycle more 

This is............a good post. 

• Plus1 1