The Republican Utopia

2 hours ago, Gage County said:

Looks like AL, AR, MS and VA all have had King-Lee Day. Looks like it was Democrat governors with Democrat majorities in both houses that passed these laws. Looking at you Bill Clinton.

I am not sure I buy into the fact that AL, AR, MS and VA ever had Dem governors and majorities but whatever.

Only AL and MS still share the holiday btw, other states do honor Lee on different days however.  

Doesn't matter the party that designated the holiday as a shared one or decided that Lee still needs to be honored in any way its' not cool.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

What???

can you show how you looked up that info?

Sure! I did this a couple years ago so it's not top of mind. Let's take Alabama. First search "Alabama King-Lee Day history." Go through the articles and get the year it was enacted. 1985. Now search for "Gov List AL," and can you believe it?? It's George "Segregation Forever" Wallace!

For House and Senate majorities, we don't need an actual count of members by party. I would've searched who the Speaker of the House and the Senate President pro tempore were. Unicamerals reduce the work load by 50%! This stuff can be pretty hard to find on the state level. Our Campaigns can help sometimes.

• Plus1 2

3 hours ago, NM11046 said:

I am not sure I buy into the fact that AL, AR, MS and VA ever had Dem governors and majorities but whatever.

The Democrats ruled the Southern states from Reconstruction to the Civil Rights Era like a big slobbering dog. It would be more unusual that the Democrats didn't control the state houses and gov office.

• Plus1 1

Seems Pena was a convicted felon and yet was able to run as Republican anyway.  

https://www.abqjournal.com/2565117/solomon-pena-arrested-in-shootings-targeting-new-mexico-democratic-politicians-homes.html

Pena served nearly seven years in prison. District Judge Joshua Allison ruled that a state law barring felons from holding office unless they are pardoned by the governor is unconstitutional so Pena remained on the ballot. He said that the state Constitution allows legislators to enact laws on voting rights of felons and their ability to run for elected office, but not to distinguish between the two by imposing additional requirements.

Pena lost the election by more than 3,600 votes, garnering 2,033 votes to Garcia’s 5,679.

4 minutes ago, Gage County said:

The Democrats ruled the Southern states from Reconstruction to the Civil Rights Era like a big slobbering dog. It would be more unusual that the Democrats didn't control the state houses and gov office.

Where are they pitching their tents now?

10 hours ago, Gage County said:

Ah, thanks for the reminder I forget that the parties and their philosophies were switched back then.  But MLK Day was just adopted in 1983... when Regan was POTUS and didn't go into effect until 1986.  

I'll have to do some digging if I have time to see what leadership was in place in the late 80's in those states.