The Republican Utopia

5 hours ago, Scarlet said:

You have to figure that this board is somewhat of a microcosm of the larger electorate.  Strictly looking at this from a strategic perspective, I have to wonder if instead of moving to the far right, the Republicans should have moved more to the center.  How many posters here are former Republicans who will be hard pressed to ever vote for that party again?  I guess the internal strategists to this into account but if it wasn't for gerrymandering and the Electoral College this party would have gone the way of the ivory-billed woodpecker over the past 10 years.  

You are correct on all points 

13 hours ago, Scarlet said:

You have to figure that this board is somewhat of a microcosm of the larger electorate.  Strictly looking at this from a strategic perspective, I have to wonder if instead of moving to the far right, the Republicans should have moved more to the center.  How many posters here are former Republicans who will be hard pressed to ever vote for that party again?  I guess the internal strategists to this into account but if it wasn't for gerrymandering and the Electoral College this party would have gone the way of the ivory-billed woodpecker over the past 10 years.  

In 2018, the last mid-term election, the Dems won 10,000,000 more votes than Republicans. 60 mill vs 50 mill.

In 2022, the most current mid-term election,  the Republicans won 3,000,000 more votes.  54 mill vs 51 mill.   That is hardly going the way of the ivory-billed woodpecker and gerrymandering doesn’t totally explain the GOP taking over the house. Theoretically the GOP should have a 13 seat advantage and they only have a 9 seat advantage based on raw vote totals.  That show gerrymandering goes both ways.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

In 2018, the last mid-term election, the Dems won 10,000,000 more votes than Republicans. 60 mill vs 50 mill.

In 2022, the most current mid-term election,  the Republicans won 3,000,000 more votes.  54 mill vs 51 mill.   That is hardly going the way of the ivory-billed woodpecker and gerrymandering doesn’t totally explain the GOP taking over the house. Theoretically the GOP should have a 13 seat advantage and they only have a 9 seat advantage based on raw vote totals.  That show gerrymandering goes both ways.

Yet they vastly underperformed the historical metrics of an opposition party in a midterm election especially when considering the inflation rate at that time.  If they had moved more to the center that vaunted red wave we all heard about might really have happened.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 3

29 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is so idiotic and proves republicans really don’t understand. 

It shows that McCarthy is engaging *badly* in political theater over the debt limit. As per the usual, Republicans have no substance, no policy, nor anything that actually addresses government spending.

37 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Yet they vastly underperformed the historical metrics of an opposition party in a midterm election especially when considering the inflation rate at that time.  If they had moved more to the center that vaunted red wave we all heard about might really have happened.

Lets add onto the historically terrible performance in 2020 that in presidential elections, Republican candidates for President have won the popular vote for President one time in 35 years.

9 hours ago, TGHusker said:

You are correct on all points 

I'd say this board is going to be significantly more liberal than the electorate. Huge swaths of the Republican Party are older Americans who typically don't get on the internet. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
36 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

It shows that McCarthy is engaging *badly* in political theater over the debt limit. As per the usual, Republicans have no substance, no policy, nor anything that actually addresses government spending.

Lets add onto the historically terrible performance in 2020 that in presidential elections, Republican candidates for President have won the popular vote for President one time in 35 years.

I'd say this board is going to be significantly more liberal than the electorate. Huge swaths of the Republican Party are older Americans who typically don't get on the internet. 

Does 67 count as old:dunno

2 of my favorite quotes:

You don't stop exploring because you are old.  You get old because you stop exploring.   Learning is like rowing a boat upstream; if you stop and you go backwards.

and one more:  A mind once shaped by a new idea cannot return to its original form.

• Oh Yeah! 1
12 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

And any one of them could have easily leaked it with no trail.

If SCOTUS security is more lax than the rest of the government and corporate America then yes.

If they have proper security protocols it's easy to see who downloaded copies, and may have leaked them. If they really wanted to they could get warrants to search phones, laptops, emails, etc. This was a crime after all, right?

All this makes me think it could have actually been one of the justices, and you can take a wild guess at which one I'm taking a hard look at.

1 minute ago, ZRod said:

If SCOTUS security is more lax than the rest of the government and corporate America then yes.

If they have proper security protocols it's easy to see who downloaded copies, and may have leaked them. If they really wanted to they could get warrants to search phones, laptops, emails, etc.

All this makes me think it could have actually been one of the justices, and you can take a wild guess at which one I'm looking hard at.

I'm wondering if the security on these documents are really as secure as something that is top secret in the defense department.  Typically, we haven't had a problem with justices wanting to leak these things.  It wouldn't surprise me if they are allowed to take work home to read and work.

If they can, maybe that needs to change.

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm wondering if the security on these documents are really as secure as something that is top secret in the defense department.  Typically, we haven't had a problem with justices wanting to leak these things.  It wouldn't surprise me if they are allowed to take work home to read and work.

If they can, maybe that needs to change.

They probably can. I mean this stuff isn't national security type material. The protocol should be that they can only work on it on a "company laptop".

19 hours ago, Scarlet said:

I think Republicans look upon McCain and Romney as the kind of centrist mistake they need to avoid, at least in terms of the Presidency. 

Republicans had a lot of choices in 2016, and they went in hard with Donald Trump. His closest challenger was Ted Cruz. Given an alternative candidate to rally all the centrists, John Kasich ended up in the low teens and carried no weight at the convention. When talking strategy, it assumes the RNC and top leadership is calling the shots, but they really weren't. GOP leadership and the big money donors didn't want Trump at all and hated Ted Cruz like most people who've actually worked with him. This one is on the American voters. They made the move against conventional wisdom. 

Obama's election incited the Tea Party and the GOP used the Tea Party insurgency to its political advantage, never quite realizing they were losing internal control to angrier Washington outsiders until it was too late. They thought January 6 was the chance to make a clean break from Trumpism until they started getting calls from the Home Offices and learned the loyalties of Republican voters had shifted under their feet. 

I do think there is strategy at work in the conservative think tanks, where they craft and distribute narratives about drag queens, CRT, Anthony Fauci, and the Biden Crime family with tremendous success.