The Republican Utopia

58 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, Republicans do want to cut SS and Medicare?  What happened to all the.. "BIDEN LIED IN THE STATE OF THE UNION ADDRESS".

Because it was in the context of debt ceiling negotiations.  Not addressing those programs for the long term like Mike is saying. 

Do you actually think SS and Medicare are fiscally sound and nothing is gonna need to change for those programs long term??

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
14 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Because it was in the context of debt ceiling negotiations.  Not addressing those programs for the long term like Mike is saying. 

Do you actually think SS and Medicare are fiscally sound and nothing is gonna need to change for those programs long term??

There are a few relatively easy solutions to fix them, but Republicans are uninterested.

Raising the taxable income levels for Social Security, for example. It's currently maxed at $160k, why not raise it or get rid of the cap altogether? Add a surtax on stock sales of $250k or more, add a surtax on stock buybacks over $1 Billion, etc.

There are a number of ways to increase the solvency of these programs but the Republican resistance to tax increases mean the only option is budget cuts which is politically impossible. 

I think Democrats should agree to raise the eligibility age if Republicans agree to taxing higher earners.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

The comment was about the programs in general and the Republicans wanting to cut them.  At the SOTU address, Republicans called him a liar and acted shocked that he would accuse them of anything of the kind. 

If this is seriously the Republican's issue they want to push for and think that cutting the programs benefits or pulling them out by the roots and getting rid of them (like Lee has said) is the way they want to go, then fess up to it, promote it and own it.  Don't act like Biden is this horrible human being for saying you want to cut the programs. At this point, Republicans just look like pathetic little liars about the issue with how they reacted to the SOTU address.

FYI.....I've been hearing that SS is going to be insolvent in XX number of years ever since I was a teenager.  Does it need managed?  Sure...maybe.  But, I'm numb to politicians trying to scare me into thinking it's all going to go away because it's going broke.

I've been planning retirement without SS ever since I've been out of college.  Just like everyone should be attempting to.  But, I know some don't have the means to do that....and why we need SS.

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 1
45 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

There are a few relatively easy solutions to fix them, but Republicans are uninterested.

Raising the taxable income levels for Social Security, for example. It's currently maxed at $160k, why not raise it or get rid of the cap altogether? Add a surtax on stock sales of $250k or more, add a surtax on stock buybacks over $1 Billion, etc.

There are a number of ways to increase the solvency of these programs but the Republican resistance to tax increases mean the only option is budget cuts which is politically impossible. 

I think Democrats should agree to raise the eligibility age if Republicans agree to taxing higher earners.

I don’t think raising the eligibility age is all that great of a solution.   Yes, people are living longer, but the human body can only take so much before people aren’t able to physically work the way they used to.   It’s hard to do manual labor jobs past age of 62-65.  

The idea of raising the income cap for FICA is interesting, but it shouldn’t be a straight raise from the current threshold.   If that’s the solution, a gap should occur and start again at something like the $1mill or 5mill threshold IMO.   People sitting in the $180k-$400k threshold already get hammered on income tax comparatively speaking because it’s a high rate, many of the deductions no longer apply, and it’s not like we have F U money at that level.  

Allow private investment of SS money (not all, a small portion) at the age of 18 and then I’m all for more FICA taxes though. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1
34 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

If this is seriously the Republican's issue they want to push for and think that cutting the programs benefits or pulling them out by the roots and getting rid of them (like Lee has said) is the way they want to go, then fess up to it, promote it and own it.  Don't act like Biden is this horrible human being for saying you want to cut the programs.

Cool, they should own it when talking about long term solvency for the programs, then Democrats shouldn’t be horrible human beings for misrepresenting what changes to those two programs long term would actually mean with scare tactics that aren’t applicable.  

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Cool, they should own it when talking about long term solvency for the programs, then Democrats shouldn’t be horrible human beings for misrepresenting what changes to those two programs long term would actually mean with scare tactics that aren’t applicable.  

I look forward to the day that people stop electing horrible human beings so we as a nation can stop complaining about horrible human beings.

Be mature, competent, and work in good faith with other govt officials.  Doesn't sound like a high bar...

• TBH 2

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Man, you carry a lot of water for the GOP. Must get tiring.

And then the classic Archy switch to something other than the thing the GOP is being criticized for:

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

I don’t think raising the eligibility age is all that great of a solution.   Yes, people are living longer, but the human body can only take so much before people aren’t able to physically work the way they used to.   It’s hard to do manual labor jobs past age of 62-65.  

The idea of raising the income cap for FICA is interesting, but it shouldn’t be a straight raise from the current threshold.   If that’s the solution, a gap should occur and start again at something like the $1mill or 5mill threshold IMO.   People sitting in the $180k-$400k threshold already get hammered on income tax comparatively speaking because it’s a high rate, many of the deductions no longer apply, and it’s not like we have F U money at that level.  

Allow private investment of SS money (not all, a small portion) at the age of 18 and then I’m all for more FICA taxes though. 

The issue with private investments is that people are terrible with finances in general. They would likely mismanage their retirements and cost themselves money. 

If the power to manage the finances is taken away from individuals in that scenario, even larger sums of money would be tied to the market.  During downturns, direct government intervention in the stock market would be likely. 

No matter the scenario, there's a reason why Republicans don't make a serious attempt to privatize social security when they control congress: it doesn't work.

As far as taxes go, I'd be okay if the burden was pushed to even higher levels of income earners. Whatever makes it solvent without reducing benefits. 

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Oh yes.....Putin is now going to come liberate America.

Oh great.  Let Putin and his armies raze our cities, murder and rape our neighbors, rip our children from our families and force them into adoption never to be seen again, crater our economy all in the name of God.  Let's make life here on Earth a  living hell so that when we die our soul can live in eternity with other beautiful souls like these two.   Way better than living across the street from a gay couple with an immaculate yard. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

Man, you carry a lot of water for the GOP. Must get tiring.

And then the classic Archy switch to something other than the thing the GOP is being criticized for:

Switching from a SS/Medicare talk from a SS/Medicare talk is now considered switching subjects!?! :laughpound:laughpound   Well that’s a new one for you I’ll give ya that:facepalm:

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1