The Republican Utopia

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

#1.  You have yet to post the actual proposal thr VA is responding to.  The line item that says the budget will be 22% less in FY 2024 than  FY 2023.   If you have and I missed it, please let me know exactly where it is posted.    
#2.  From your link

This analysis assumes an across-the-board reduction of roughly 22% compared to currently enacted FY 2023 levels for non-defense discretionary accounts. That aligns with proposals to return discretionary spending to FY 2022 levels on an ongoing basis while exempting defense spending.

You're right it is an assumption. It's at the end of the article for those looking for it.

But given the track record of the GOP, it's a good assumption.

• Plus1 1
55 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

You're right it is an assumption. It's at the end of the article for those looking for it.

But given the track record of the GOP, it's a good assumption.

So I guess we learned you wrongly accused me of creating a strawman about this and wrongly accused me of carrying water for a “GOP proposal” no one has linked to, yet comments on as if the articles commented on  are fact.   Great work team:thumbs

Here is another thing to ponder…..

Articles have said McCarthy wants 2022 levels for 2024 FY which those articles deem as a 22% cut in budget.  So are those people saying the budget increased 22% from ‘22-‘23?  That’s one hell of a yearly increase to sustain if so.   So forgive me if I would like to see the compatibles before deeming the GOP budget as the anti-Christ.  

• Plus1 1

I worked at a company that was founded by two UNL grads for years. The culture was Ford trucks, hunting, fishing and Budweiser beer. If I would buy them beer as a thank you for bonuses or whatever it better had been Bud. When the Dylan Mulvany partnership happened and boycotts were threatened I thought of them first and wondered if this boycott may actually have some legs to it. Maybe it does. 

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/bud-light-marketing-vp-takes-leave-absence-wake-dylan-mulvaney-backlash-report

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

So I guess we learned you wrongly accused me of creating a strawman about this

Except that I didn't. You're getting the threads mixed up (link to where I correctly pointed out your strawman). Nice try though.

3 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

and wrongly accused me of carrying water for a “GOP proposal” no one has linked to, yet comments on as if the articles commented on  are fact.   Great work team:thumbs

Again you're wrong as the first link I provided to the NPR article has a link to the proposal in it. Great work reading!

NPR article I posted before: https://www.npr.org/2023/04/19/1170887856/mccarthys-bill-for-the-looming-debit-limit-would-slash-federal-spending

proposal link in that article: https://www.speaker.gov/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/LSGA_xml.pdf

• Plus1 2

32 minutes ago, RedDenver said:
4 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Again you're wrong as the first link I provided to the NPR article has a link to the proposal in it. Great work reading!

NPR article I posted

You have not provided a link to proposal that says VA programs will take a 22%spending cut from FY 2022 levels.  Good try.  

I think you will find the biggest cuts will be coming from unused Covid funds and previous Covid spending that isn’t needed.  If you or anyone else raging about the actual proposed discretionary spending levels from years 2016-2022, one would notice an outlier in growth one year that should be able to be rolled back.   Saying the rollback will be across the board is disingenuous at best and lying at worst unless proof is provided.  

• Plus1 1

From my Congressman: Conservative, Republican, Mormon governor of Utah, Spencer Cox, said the following in his veto message for a similar anti-trans hate bill in Utah - it's really worth reading every word of his beautiful statement:

GOV. COX: "I must admit, I am not an expert on transgenderism. I struggle to understand so much of it and the science is conflicting. When in doubt however, I always try to err on the side of kindness, mercy and compassion. I also try to get proximate and I am learning so much from our transgender community. They are great kids who face enormous struggles.
Here are the numbers that have most impacted my decision: 75,000, 4, 1, 86 and 56.
● 75,000 high school kids participating in high school sports in Utah.
● 4 transgender kids playing high school sports in Utah.
● 1 transgender student playing girls sports.
● 86% of trans youth reporting suicidality.
● 56% of trans youth having attempted suicide1
Four kids and only one of them playing girls sports. That’s what all of this is about. Four kids who aren’t dominating or winning trophies or taking scholarships. Four kids who are just trying
to find some friends and feel like they are a part of something. Four kids trying to get through each day. Rarely has so much fear and anger been directed at so few. I don’t understand what they are going through or why they feel the way they do. But I want them to live. And all the research shows that even a little acceptance and connection can reduce suicidality significantly.
For that reason, as much as any other, I have taken this action in the hope that we can continue to work together and find a better way. If a veto override occurs, I hope we can work to find ways
to show these four kids that we love them and they have a place in our state."
  • Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
11 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

FufYugYWcAADUbV?format=jpg&name=medium

So the spin is that Fox betrayed Tucker Carlson? 

And that the smug, self-promoting little propagandist deserves defending? 

I would never defend the motives of Fox News, but for whatever reason they did this they stand to lose money and field the ugliest customer feedback imaginable. 

It's obviously linked to the just-settled Dominion suit, but I'm not clear how those pieces fall into place. 

• TBH 1