The Republican Utopia

On 4/22/2023 at 9:39 AM, Guy Chamberlin said:

It is worth noting that Biden's proposal does allow for transgender sports bans at the high school and college level, where most of this debate is taking place. Since Biden is taking heat from the transgender community for this, I'm wondering if Republicans are crediting him for the more prudent approach. Or if they are ignoring it entirely in order to keep ginning up the culture war.

I'm betting the latter. 

For sure Repubs, are stoking the war. It happens all the time. For me, two issues stand out. I do not want biological males competing with women, especially when records, scholarships and awards are on the line. I do not want title IX benefits taken from women. I think people are afraid to speak up on this, and women will take it on the chin if we do not. The second item is that parents should control their kids health care. I understand some parents neglect or abuse their kids and if that is the case social workers can/will eventually step in. I do not want educators, or other folks getting ahead of the parents on transition decisions. That said I do not need the repubs to legislate it either other than protecting parents rights to make the decision. If a parent and kid decide to move forward so be it. That's on them. 

• TBH 1

What can Anonymous reveal that's actually new, or in any way more binding? 

Donald Trump voluntarily goes on the Howard Stern show and brags that as the owner of the Miss Teen USA pageant, he would walk into the locker room unannounced in order to see the beautiful underage girls undressed. Trump also goes on national TV and admits he thinks about having sex with his daughter. He hung out with Jeffery Epstein and most recently wished Ghislaine Maxwell "good luck" with her trial. He endorsed Roy Moore, who almost won his Senate race in Alabama after it was revealed he dated 14 year olds in his 30s, and assaulted women of all ages after that. Of course there's Matt Gaetz, who faces allegations that would have drummed him out of office in virtually any previous decade. The list of homophobic Republicans leading homophobic causes who turn out to be closet homosexuals is legion. 

It's not that Democrats don't deserve the same scrutiny, it's that Republicans might want to agree on both the burden of proof and appropriate punishment for their pedophile crusade. They won't, because it's simply a campaign gimmick.

If Donald Trump, Bill Clinton, and Prince Andrew all faced the same televised trial for their Jeffery Epstein associations, it might do us all good. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

6 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

If this goes forward I wonder if they would be able to get a hold of emails, texts, and other communications. Bet those would be juicy. Actually, I'm surprised their hasn't been a FOI request leaked out yet...

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/republican-debt-ceiling-plan-boost-215019539.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw&tsrc=twtr

The deficit reduction plan put forward by House Speaker Kevin McCarthy as the price for lifting the debt ceiling would notably slow economic growth and increase unemployment next year if enacted, according to an analysis by Moody’s Analytics released Monday.

But if course 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, knapplc said:

So, they're going to try to destroy the economy to hurt President Biden. Ignoring, of course, the damage that will do to us, the little people. Because we don't matter.

Totally cool. Keep voting Republican, y'all!

I blame the average voter. If they didn't want to be pushed to the brink of default because they thought having stupid work requirements on SNAP benefits was as important as the debt ceiling, they would've voted differently.

If the American people experience economic calamity they deserve it and have only themselves to blame. They voted for their house members presumably knowing that this would happen. 

7 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I blame the average voter. If they didn't want to be pushed to the brink of default because they thought having stupid work requirements on SNAP benefits was as important as the debt ceiling, they would've voted differently.

If the American people experience economic calamity they deserve it and have only themselves to blame. They voted for their house members presumably knowing that this would happen. 

Simple question.  Do you think the country can sustain this level of yearly debt increase with no future harm? 

• Plus1 1

I remember being glad Donald Trump wasn't crashing the economy.

I did want Republicans to acknowledge that Trump's numbers were following the 6.5 year continuum set by Obama, but that's about as contrarian as I got about the economy. My issues with Trump were mostly about him being a horrible human and dangerous leader. No amount of money in my pocket would change that. 

• Plus1 1