The Republican Utopia

34 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Sure some people may make a bigger deal of it due to hating Desantis but it also can’t be ignored that there was a plan and it could’ve happened if it weren’t for Desantis’ little culture war feud with the largest employer and economy driver in the state. Anyway you look at it Desantis failed. It doesn’t matter if there was a 10% chance or 90% chance because RD made sure it was 0%

• TBH 2

2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Sure some people may make a bigger deal of it due to hating Desantis but it also can’t be ignored that there was a plan and it could’ve happened if it weren’t for Desantis’ little culture war feud with the largest employer and economy driver in the state. Anyway you look at it Desantis failed. It doesn’t matter if there was a 10% chance or 90% chance because RD made sure it was 0%

It could have happened if the CEO liked the project, which he didn’t,……if the employees in the imagineering group were on board with the project and moving cross country, which they weren’t,….and if it made financial sense, which Iger said on the Quarterly call it didn’t based on Disney’s cost cutting more now.  It was a perfect type of project to cut out.  

On a side note, a 90% vs 10% chance actually would have made a difference in who was to point fingers at.   

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

On a side note, a 90% vs 10% chance actually would have made a difference in who was to point fingers at.   

I’m not really pointing any fingers. It may or may not have happened, pretty much at Disney’s discretion. My only point is, instead of the governor starting and continuing a stupid culture war with them, he could’ve done many things that would have made the chances better. But instead he made the decision extremely easy for them.

In normal times, a Pres candidate might like to have a large business triumph in his back pocket or at least the visible attempt. I’ve got to question putting a guy like that in a much more important position dealing with economic matters on a national scale. Gotta believe the stupid ill advised culture war crap is more important to him, I mean he has shown us and proven it. Not what I’m looking for in a President for sure.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

A snapshot of one poll indicates the American people would like to reduce the spending as a condition for raising the debt ceiling.  

https://apnorc.org/projects/few-are-following-the-debate-closely-but-most-want-congress-to-increase-the-debt-limit-with-deficit-reduction-conditions/?doing_wp_cron=1684589990.0328559875488281250000

image.thumb.png.f8ea6561119648abb0fa3bbb292f6fdc.png

I'm all for reducing the deficit, it has to be the right cuts in the right programs, plus generating revenue with better and more simplified tax laws.  Reduce budget for non-payroll expenses in military spending, reduce spending in frivolous congressional investigations, improve the tax codes to generate more revenue and incetivize companies to bolster the middle-class.   I'm sure if I gave it more than 46 seconds worth of thought I could rattle off a handful more.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
4 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

A snapshot of one poll indicates the American people would like to reduce the spending as a condition for raising the debt ceiling.  

https://apnorc.org/projects/few-are-following-the-debate-closely-but-most-want-congress-to-increase-the-debt-limit-with-deficit-reduction-conditions/?doing_wp_cron=1684589990.0328559875488281250000

I’m not against reigning in spending. I’d prefer they cut from things like defense instead of aiming all of the savings at the poorest most vulnerable people. And I don’t have a problem with expanding work requirements to be on the dole. But holding the debt ceiling hostage isn’t the way to do it imo. This spending has already been approved. If they don’t want to increase the debt ceiling then don’t pass budgets and commit funds that will exceed it. Pretty basic money management stuff that most of us have to abide by in our personal finances. When you spend money you don’t have and aren’t going to get, that is piss poor planning.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

Where does it mention spending? Spending is not the only component of reducing the deficit.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

I’m not against reigning in spending. I’d prefer they cut from things like defense instead of aiming all of the savings at the poorest most vulnerable people. And I don’t have a problem with expanding work requirements to be on the dole. But holding the debt ceiling hostage isn’t the way to do it imo. This spending has already been approved. If they don’t want to increase the debt ceiling then don’t pass budgets and commit funds that will exceed it. Pretty basic money management stuff that most of us have to abide by in our personal finances. When you spend money you don’t have and aren’t going to get, that is piss poor planning.

We don't have level-headed, smart people in congress. They're just power hungry or self-righteous morons. I'm fine with cutting spending if we also increase taxes. We are just f#&%ing stupid and we can't be f#&%ing stupid forever. At some point things are going to backfire.

And the debt ceiling should increase automatically.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
9 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Where does it mention spending? Spending is not the only component of reducing the deficit.

Problem is that other component is off the table for the right, and is a nonstarter.

10 hours ago, Moiraine said:

You make a valid point about that.   The only counter is that I don’t believe anyone is talking about tax increases in these negotiations

• Plus1 1

You make a valid point about that.   The only counter is that I don’t believe anyone is talking about tax increases in these negotiations

Dems are by going on about making sure corporations and billionaires pay “their fair share”.  They are specifically talking about tax increases or more elimination of tax breaks.  

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, sho said:

Dems are by going on about making sure corporations and billionaires pay “their fair share”.  They are specifically talking about tax increases or more elimination of tax breaks.  

I believe Dems want a clean debt ceiling increase and not talking about tax increases attached to it. 

• Plus1 1

Is there any reason debt is better than increased taxes? I understand the economy ebbs and flows so we need to borrow sometimes, and I’m not a macroeconomic person, but we have to pay the interest on debt with our taxes anyway. Doesn’t it make more sense to increase taxes up front and put less of those taxes toward interest later on because we didn’t have enough revenue? More bang for our buck that way.

And yes I know there is spending too. I don’t know what the work requirement is for SNAP but it used to be 20 hours per week. I think the GOP just wants to expand that to more people(?) and it’s for other programs too. 

I also don’t know how much $ this would save. Is this a real thing that could help or is it a rile up the base thing? I think I am fine with Biden caving on that.

I just wish Republicans would stop being morons about taxes.

• Plus1 1