The Republican Utopia

3 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

A majority of Americans also favor closing tax loopholes and raising taxes on the wealthy.

Guess which Political Party wanted to close tax loopholes, impose taxes on the ultra wealthy AND conceded to spending cuts to McCarthy? (Which he rejected because Republicans aren't serious about the debt whatsoever)

• Thanks 1
  • TBH 2
44 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

What is wealthy? 

According to Joe Biden, those that make more than 400k. McCarthy rejects anything that raises revenue. 

As of now, McCarthy doesn't have the votes to pass anything because of the Qaucus on the Right. Even if he got Joe Biden to concede on every point, Republicans simply don't have the votes. Anything that keeps the government functioning is simply a concession that is unacceptable to them. 

• TBH 1

22 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

According to Joe Biden, those that make more than 400k. McCarthy rejects anything that raises revenue. 

As of now, McCarthy doesn't have the votes to pass anything because of the Qaucus on the Right. Even if he got Joe Biden to concede on every point, Republicans simply don't have the votes. Anything that keeps the government functioning is simply a concession that is unacceptable to them. 

What is wealthy to you?   Is someone with a high income but little net worth, wealthy?  

What if someone making $400,000 has very little savings and lives paycheck to paycheck.   Are they actually wealthy?  This happens more than you think.  

• Haha 1
  • TBH 1
38 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

What is wealthy to you?   Is someone with a high income but little net worth, wealthy?  

What if someone making $400,000 has very little savings and lives paycheck to paycheck.   Are they actually wealthy?  This happens more than you think.  

Are you trying to say we should feel sorry for people who make over 400,000 because their top tax bracket might go up 2-3 percentage points?

34 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Are you trying to say we should feel sorry for people who make over 400,000 because their top tax bracket might go up 2-3 percentage points?

If I was trying to say that, I would just come right out and say it.  I’m trying to get people to define what wealthy is.  People want the wealthy to pay more, so who should that be.  And does it depend on where you live/cost of living.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Can't they get a second job? Ask their parents for a loan? Stop eating out so much? Learn to budget better?

• Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 2

26 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

If I was trying to say that, I would just come right out and say it.  I’m trying to get people to define what wealthy is.  People want the wealthy to pay more, so who should that be.  And does it depend on where you live/cost of living.  

It's pretty well defined in the proposal and was told to you as being anyone making over $400,000.  If you are making over $400,000  and living paycheck to paycheck and don't have any assets, that's your own fault and shouldn't play into the discussion as to if their top tax bracket should be increased by a measly 2-3 percentage points.

44 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It's pretty well defined in the proposal and was told to you as being anyone making over $400,000.  If you are making over $400,000  and living paycheck to paycheck and don't have any assets, that's your own fault and shouldn't play into the discussion as to if their top tax bracket should be increased by a measly 2-3 percentage points.

Exactly this. There are a variety of reasons that tax bracket could be living paycheck to paycheck, but I'm not going to cry if their tax rates go up a few percent.

But there are other taxes that Republicans refuse to implement, like a surcharge on capital gains for stock transactions with $1 million or more. Raising capital gainss rates for long term holdings higher than 15% for income groups higher than a certain amount, etc. All would be revenue raisers, none would adversely impact 99% of Americans and all these proposals DOA in Republican circles.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

$400,000 in San Francisco might buy you a few cans of beans and a cardboard box to live in.  Let’s stick it to those wealthy bastards.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1