Immigration Ban

The Onion is on point: Area Man Willing To Give Up Any Of Muslims’ Rights Necessary To Feel Safe

PITTSBURGH—Explaining how defending the population is the government’s ultimate responsibility, area man Greg Farnsworth told reporters Thursday he is willing to give up any of Muslims’ rights necessary to feel safe. “The bottom line is that we are putting innocent lives at risk if we don’t give the government more power to protect us, and if that means giving up a few constitutionally protected freedoms of Muslims in the process, so be it,” said Farnsworth, who added that, while he didn’t necessarily like the idea of the NSA monitoring phone calls or emails, he believed it was vital to accept a few violations of privacy rights among those of the Islamic faith to ensure the nation remained secure. “If last week’s attacks taught us anything, it’s that al-Qaeda is still determined to kill as many people as they can. So if we have to add more security measures at airports for Muslims or track people online who are critical of the U.S. government, provided they are Muslim, in order to keep us safe, I’m willing to make that sacrifice.” Farnsworth added that, if you really considered the lives and well-being of your family, limiting a few rights for Muslims here and there isn’t a bad trade-off at all.

Usually they do satire. This is distillation of actual sentiment.

• Fire 3

There were sane, rational people saying this was going to happen the entire way, too.

When Democrats vilified Trump's call for a ban and said his policies would lead to radicalization and make us less safe, it was not just an empty political attack. They were trying to convince more people of the unforeseen consequences that would be wrought were Trump to ascend to power and carry out his decrees.

Unfortunately, due to either the perpetual stage of conditioned, irrational fear that a large chunk of the country finds itself in or the flawed nature of the messengers who were sounding the alarm, not enough people listened. Or they listened and decided it was not important and they would vote for Trump anyway.

And here we find ourselves, at that eventuality. It is frustrating and disappointing to my very core thattoo many of my fellow Americans either didn't listen or didn't care that this day was coming down the pike.

But here we are. I'm glad we've begun pushing back. What Knapp foretold will likely come to pass. And Trump and the evil little men surrounding him will use it as justification to further persecute the most vulnerable among us. Shoot, they've already done it. They've scapegoated an entire nationality in the face of all available data and sheer reality as justification for building a stupid, expensive, useless wall.

We will continue to discover our own true mettle, as well as that of those around us, when the events Knapp described occur. We'll need to push back then, too.

• Fire 1

20,000 of Massachusetts' finest citizens (including our senators Markey & Warren in addition to the Mayor Marty Walsh) protested today in Copley Square against the immigration and muslim ban.

Marty Walsh said yesterday that he will house and protect impacted immigrants in Boston City Hall if neccessary.

I am grateful to live where I do. It gives me a glimmer of hope - I honestly can't imagine having to be cautious about who I spoke to about politics in a red state. Even here if you do talk to a republican its actually very diplomatic and polite - you listen and learn and it typically goes both ways (they know they're up against the masses heere though!)

https://mobile.twitter.com/mikd33/status/825823265247621122

• Fire 1

20,000 of Massachusetts' finest citizens (including our senators Markey & Warren in addition to the Mayor Marty Walsh) protested today in Copley Square against the immigration and muslim ban.

Marty Walsh said yesterday that he will house and protect impacted immigrants in Boston City Hall if neccessary.

I am grateful to live where I do. It gives me a glimmer of hope - I honestly can't imagine having to be cautious about who I spoke to about politics in a red state. Even here if you do talk to a republican its actually very diplomatic and polite - you listen and learn and it typically goes both ways (they know they're up against the masses heere though!)

You can speak to intelligent conservative people in red states too.

• Fire 1

Absolutely! Didn't say that wasn't the case and I'm sorry if it read that way. Sadly my family and friends are not easy to talk to about it. I've just had far more intimate convos here trying to understand the "why's".

As I read my post again it does sound somewhat entittled and snobby - didnt mean it that way.

• Fire 1