Immigration Ban

4 minutes ago, Bornhusker said:

lol, we went through this yesterday a few posts up.. I admitted I was wrong.

I see your post now.

The process (or lack of one), is one of the most frustrating and processes to even try to attempt.  Now, imagine being someone new to the country and doesn't speak very good English and not much money.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

I see your post now.

The process (or lack of one), is one of the most frustrating and processes to even try to attempt.  Now, imagine being someone new to the country and doesn't speak very good English and not much money.

I guess that means you don't deserve to be here 

That actually opens up another avenue of discussion:

How much should immigrants assimilate to our culture when they are here? Do you think we benefit as a society when we are more homogenous (all speak English, practice similar cultural rituals, etc.), or is it fine to allow immigrants the freedoms to self-sort into their own pockets of culture and not be expected to assimilate if they choose not to?

22 minutes ago, Bornhusker said:

Show me where I said anything about color!  You took this subject and went down the race path.. not me!

You referred to immigrants from generations ago as "people who built this country," and have constantly referred to immigrants of today as "criminals."

It's not hard to read between the lines. 

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Immigration laws started in the late 19th century by people who had already immigrated to keep out the next immigrants. So most of the history of immigration to the US didn't have any channels to bother with.

In 1870 blacks were allowed to be citizens.. I would call that early on myself, but I should have explained better. I was thinking 19th century after the civil war because that was when this country, as whole, was really established.

3 minutes ago, Bornhusker said:

In 1870 blacks were allowed to be citizens.. I would call that early on myself, but I should have explained better. I was thinking 19th century after the civil war because that was when this country, as whole, was really established.

Kind of an odd example of early immigration....isn't it?

• Plus1 5
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Kind of an odd example of early immigration....isn't it?

Why is that? My post talked about those helping to " build this country", or shortly after... it wasn't until after the civil war that the US started move in a unified direction building what got us here today.

Edited by Bornhusker
Just now, Bornhusker said:

Why is that? My post talked about those helping build this country, or shortly after... it wasn't until after the civil war that the US started move in a unified direction building what got us here. 

You do know how those black people became "immigrants".....right?

The Chinese that immigrated here around the same time and were much of the labor to build the transcontinental railroad would be a much better example.

LINK

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

You do know how those black people became "immigrants".....right?

The Chinese that immigrated here around the same time and were much of the labor to build the transcontinental railroad would be a much better example.

LINK

and as such they were able to become citizens through the correct process. The naturalization acts back then defined that, or at least some of it.

Holy hell..  Some of you are trying way to damn hard to find fault!

8 hours ago, Bornhusker said:

In 1870 blacks were allowed to be citizens.. I would call that early on myself, but I should have explained better.

How on earth is citizenship "allowed" for kidnapped people relevant here?

And how is your example of Chinese immigrants much different than Mexican immigrants? Lots of Mexican immigrants are doing farm and other labor intensive jobs no one else is willing to do.

Edited by Moiraine
9 hours ago, dudeguyy said:

How much should immigrants assimilate to our culture when they are here? 

By 'our', you mean white people's culture? Or what are you referring to?

9 hours ago, Bornhusker said:

In 1870 blacks were allowed to be citizens.. 

Blacks in 1870 weren't immigrants. They were forcibly stolen and displaced from their home lands, or were the descendants of those forcibly displaced.

10 hours ago, dudeguyy said:

How much should immigrants assimilate to our culture when they are here? Do you think we benefit as a society when we are more homogenous (all speak English, practice similar cultural rituals, etc.), or is it fine to allow immigrants the freedoms to self-sort into their own pockets of culture and not be expected to assimilate if they choose not to?

I feel strongly that we need the diversity - of color and belief, language, food, etc.  What would America be if the Italians, Irish, Germans, Africans etc came over and just started drinking tea and eating crumpets?   No kolaches!  No Budweiser!  No fajitas!  Thank goodness until recently we've been a country that welcomes all.  If you travel anywhere else you will see all sorts of cultures mixed and people adapting - nobody complains like we do.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Bornhusker said:

hmm, weird, I figured you guys would have known not all blacks were slaves.. actually, there were blacks that actually owned slaves themselves.

Please regale us with stories of the great non-slave African to U.S. migration. Either that or stop pretending that you actually think people aren't aware that there were free Blacks in 1870 and prior to that (almost all of which were descendants of slaves). Regardless of whether there are exceptions, citizenship given to Blacks in 1870 is not at all relevant to this discussion.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 1