Immigration Ban

So... as far as deportations are concerned, how do we square this:

With this:

I personally don't trust Nielsen's words on this at all & I agree with Singal's second tweet. ICE is way overstepping their bounds - because they know they have a president & Sec of Homeland Security that have given them wide latitude to do their job without supervision.  Even if that means overstepping their boundaries & hauling away doctors or pulling over buses or sweeping Koreatown 7-Elevens. They know there aren't going to be any repercussions for violating people's civil rights like that because this administration has turned them loose.

And of course they lie to our faces and say we're not separating families or only going after the "bad ones."

• Plus1 2

Both of these teams were in our conference in high school. What a garbage move on the part of Spencer.

That stories like this continue to pop up is why I think people who claim there is no racism or Trump hasn't moved the dial at all are delusional. The comfort level required to openly come out & do stuff like this in public is a direct reflection of the commander in chief giving a wink & a nod that it is OK now.

Was listening to a podcast where they were discussing the disconnect between allowing and even promoting the free flow of capital between nations but placing restrictions on the human labor to do the same.  Couldn't help but think of the similarities with how college sports are governed.  It is okay for the capital (coaches) to change schools as any times as they wish, but the human labor ('student athletes') are restricted. 

Would be interested to know if people's views on restricting immigration also align with not allowing transfers and/or payment to 'student athletes'.

• 2 weeks later...

This is morally repugnant. The whole ICE decision making process is disgusting. It's why I don't buy a word any official says on immigration "priorities" or the like... their actions don't match their words.

On Thursday, ICE denied an extension to remain in the U.S. for 30-year-old Jesus Berrones, who lives in Arizona with his pregnant wife and five children. The immigration agency ordered Berrones to appear on Monday to be deported, according to his lawyer Garrett Wilkes.

Berrones has been living in the U.S. since he was 1½, when his parents brought him here in 1989, according to his wife, Sonia. In 2006, at age 19, Berrones was caught driving with a fake license and deported to Mexico. He then twice re-entered the country unlawfully to rejoin his family.

In 2016, ICE granted Berrones a stay of removal based on his son’s illness. Even when it has grounds for deportation, the agency can use its discretion to grant stays and has commonly done so in the case of individuals caring for a sick child. 

Last year, under the new Trump administration, Berrones went to ICE to refile a stay, and officials told him it was not necessary because he was no longer a deportation priority, Wilkes said. But in January, Berrones got a notice from ICE that he would be deported. The lawyer filed another request for a stay, but it was recently denied.

Berrones’ 5-year-old son has been battling leukemia since 2016 and is undergoing chemotherapy. Berrones is the family’s sole breadwinner.

“He’s a hard-working man,” Sonia Berrones, who is a U.S. citizen, told HuffPost on Friday, in tears. “We’re scared. The kids will ask me: ‘Where’s Daddy?’”

HuffPost reached out to ICE for comment, but did not receive a response by early Saturday.

• Plus1 1
52 minutes ago, dudeguyy said:

This is morally repugnant. The whole ICE decision making process is disgusting. It's why I don't buy a word any official says on immigration "priorities" or the like... their actions don't match their words.

all  hispanics are ms 13.  all muslims are ISIS.   all Russians are BFF.   and anyone who disagrees is a traitor.   

• Plus1 1