Immigration Ban

10 minutes ago, SandhillshuskerW said:

The part in bold is the part that is hardly ever discussed, but it needs to be. I taught in Grand Island for 12 years and I dealt with a lot of students that had very personal knowledge of the process. I don't think everyone understands just how hard it is to become a legal citizen of the U.S. I'm not trying to defend anyone that is here illegally, but most of them would be here legally if it was an easier process that didn't take forever to go through. You are correct, it has absolutely nothing to do with Trump because it's been this way for over 20 years or more. The government should be taking a look at how they can change that system so that we can get more immigrants to be legal citizens. Most of them want to be here legally.

We had a family in our district, the daughter was in my building.  They've been working in the immigration process for almost 5 years, and at the drop of a hat had to move back to Columbia.  They're visa was about to expire because of paperwork errors not in their control.  And they were told by their attorney to go back because if they were here on an expired visa that would be the end of it.  This was a family with good kids, working parents, and just fun to have in class.

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, funhusker said:

We had a family in our district, the daughter was in my building.  They've been working in the immigration process for almost 5 years, and at the drop of a hat had to move back to Columbia.  They're visa was about to expire because of paperwork errors not in their control.  And they were told by their attorney to go back because if they were here on an expired visa that would be the end of it.  This was a family with good kids, working parents, and just fun to have in class.

I knew many students over the years that had similar stories. If the government wants to truly do something, this would be the first place I would start. I don't have an answer to it, but I'm sure there are ways to make things run a little smoother.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, funhusker said:

Gosh, it's almost like they're just people who want to pull themselves up by their boot straps and improve their lives just like our ancestors did. 

• Plus1 1
20 hours ago, knapplc said:

Show the laws he's promulgated that would dissolve America's borders.

Heck, show the laws that any person in Congress has promulgated that would dissolve America's borders.

Because without that evidence, this is all third grade nonsense.

Not nonsense. Simply reading between the lines. Democrats know it would be electoral suicide to propose eliminating borders.but when you listen to what they say and examine what they believe, it’s clear that’s where many of them are headed.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Not nonsense. Simply reading between the lines. Democrats know it would be electoral suicide to propose eliminating borders.but when you listen to what they say and examine what they believe, it’s clear that’s where many of them are headed.

So they believe in it, but they'll never do it, openly talk about it, write laws for it, or make any kind of attempt at it, and despite all that this is something we should all be concerned about as if it's an imminent thing.

You know I could produce equally solid evidence that Trump is a white supremacist, right?

• Plus1 5
26 minutes ago, knapplc said:

So they believe in it, but they'll never do it, openly talk about it, write laws for it, or make any kind of attempt at it, and despite all that this is something we should all be concerned about as if it's an imminent thing.

You know I could produce equally solid evidence that Trump is a white supremacist, right?

Open borders seem to appeal to a majority of Democrats. The concept is very unpopular with Republicans and independents however. So Democrats will quietly sognal to their base that they support the idea, while not making any overt moves to implement it as that would be electoral suicide.

A staggering 53 percent of Democrats polled, however, believe that any immigrant that makes it to America’s borders should be allowed to stay.

http://dailycaller.com/2018/07/02/polling-percentage-democrats-terrifying/

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/27/us/politics/fast-check-donald-trump-democrats-open-borders.html

FACT CHECK OF THE DAY

No, Democrats Don’t Want ‘Open Borders’
President Trump has falsely claimed at least two dozen times since taking office that Democrats want to open American borders. But legislation shows that Democrats support border security measures, though not the border wall he wants to build.

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2018 at 9:18 AM, BigRedBuster said:

First off....like I have said.  From the President on down, stop demonizing these people.  The vast majority just want a better life, came here for a job (actually want to work), are less prone to be a violent criminal than native born Americans.....etc.  Demonizing an entire group of people does nothing other than creates a false sense of fear that is not good for anyone other than a politician wanting votes.  The idiot and chief is even starting to demonize LEGAL immigrants.

Second, there are anywhere from 10 - 12 million illegal immigrants in the US.  To deport all of them, would be both a human rights disaster and destroy our economy at the same time.  On top of that, the cost of doing so would be enormous.  WAY more than the actual cost of having them here.

So, let's start with the reality, we are not deporting all illegal immigrants.  So, what's the solution?

a)  Figure out a way that people that are here can become legal.  Deport violent criminals and give the people who are here, working hard, raising their families and contributing to our communities and economy, a path to citizenship.

b)  Fix our immigration system so it's easier to immigrate legally.  The system is a disaster.  I've been familiar with or helped with two people going through it and it's almost impossible.  And...this was even long before Drumpf took office.

c)  Once that is all discussed and figured out, I'm fine with increasing border security.  We do need to know who is coming into our country.  That said, I am not under the delusion that we will stop all illegal immigration.

Fact, a very large number of people who are illegal, came here legally with a visa and over stayed the visa.  Many are even European...I guess the idiot doesn't care about them because they aren't from s#!t hole countries.

Fix the system without destroying people's lives.  The vast majority of these people are here contributing to the economy, raising their families and paying taxes....many times to a system they won't get much (if any) benefit from in the long run.

PS.....and building a friggen physical wall is the dumbest idea thrown out in the last 30 years on the subject.

The statistics that illegals commit less crimes than people born here are complete BS and have been thoroughly debunked.

Illegals should have no rights. I’m beyond tired of hearing them whining about how we owe them something. Read up on how Mexico treats their illegal immigrants. They’re complete hypocrites.

Illegals should have to register. If they refuse, round them up and send then home. Start with the most violent. If illegals do register, let those who are consistently working and haven’t committed crimes stay with work visas. There should be no path to citizenship for those who broke our laws to come here. 

Fixing immigration should be a priority. End chain migration. Bring in highly skilled and educated workers and then less skilled workers needed for jobs the food stamp and welfare crowd is too lazy to do.

Increasing border security has to be a part of any comprehensive immigration reform. We should also amend the Constitution so that foreigners can’t come here illegally and pop out anchor babies who automatically become citizens.

9 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

The statistics that illegals commit less crimes than people born here are complete BS and have been thoroughly debunked.

Illegals should have no rights. I’m beyond tired of hearing them whining about how we owe them something. Read up on how Mexico treats their illegal immigrants. They’re complete hypocrites.

Illegals should have to register. If they refuse, round them up and send then home. Start with the most violent. If illegals do register, let those who are consistently working and haven’t committed crimes stay with work visas. There should be no path to citizenship for those who broke our laws to come here. 

Fixing immigration should be a priority. End chain migration. Bring in highly skilled and educated workers and then less skilled workers needed for jobs the food stamp and welfare crowd is too lazy to do.

Increasing border security has to be a part of any comprehensive immigration reform. We should also amend the Constitution so that foreigners can’t come here illegally and pop out anchor babies who automatically become citizens.

Can you provide proof on the crime statistic?  I’m genuinely curious.

11 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Pretty sure it was already covered in this thread that the debunking was dubious at best. The main issue is that they factored in an illegal status as a crime. Therefore immigrants, both legal and illegal, on average commit more crime. There was a lot more to it, but I think that was a big issue.

Actually @Ric Flair illegals aliens do have rights just as any other immigrant has rights, infact we as citizens share almost all the same rights under the Constitution as any immigrant does. This is not indispute and would be a gross display of dehumanization to revoke their rights. I don't give a s#!t what Mexico does, we are not them.

• Plus1 2
10 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

Everyone is citing a CATO Institute study that is laughably flawed. I don't think there are good numbers or reliable data. But we know that illegals commit all kinds of crimes once here in order to stay here...most commonly identity theft and them all sorts of fraud.

https://amgreatness.com/2018/08/27/illegal-aliens-commit-fewer-crimes-than-u-s-born-not-so-fast/

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Everyone is citing a CATO Institute study that is laughably flawed. I don't think there are good numbers or reliable data. But we know that illegals commit all kinds of crimes once here in order to stay here...most commonly identity theft and them all sorts of fraud.

https://amgreatness.com/2018/08/27/illegal-aliens-commit-fewer-crimes-than-u-s-born-not-so-fast/

speaking  of trump inc?

13 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

This made me laugh because it’s literally the situation we have right now. Illegal immigration is almost (and maybe is) a non issue because it has steadily decreased for 20+ years now under the pre-Trump policies, and because it likely isn’t a negative for our society. It would be a negative if we just opened up our borders which you’ve falsely claimed is a mainstream liberal goal, but no one who isn’t crazy has called for that.

The status quo on immigration was working perfectly fine, and changing illegal immigration policy is probably the 50th most important thing this country needed to do and is a huge waste of $.

It’s been blown up by Trump because he’s a racist and so are many of his followers, subconsciously or otherwise.