Immigration Ban

2 hours ago, Waldo said:

It’s sh$@ty, but at some point what can we do? What about all the Africans or Asians that live in poor conditions? What about all those having trouble feeding themselves that were born inside our borders?  I feel for them, and it’s the same reason I’m so glad to be an American, but what can we do? Increase the tens and hundreds of billions that we spend yearly on illegal immigration? Let’s here it. 

I’m so glad your parents aren’t mine 

This country is rich enough to take care of all in dire need.  Jeff Bezo’s alone (Before impending divorce settlement) could almost end all hunger in this country with his wealth.  

What can we do?  Something.  Anything that takes care of a fellow human.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

This country is rich enough to take care of all in dire need.  Jeff Bezo’s alone (Before impending divorce settlement) could almost end all hunger in this country with his wealth.  

What can we do?  Something.  Anything that takes care of a fellow human.

Imagine if Bezos could live off a measly 100 million and commit the rest of his fortune to lifting those in need up

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, ZRod said:

You guys realize his fortune is in Amazon stock, right? He doesn't have 136 billion in liquid cash. He'd have to cash out and lose his controlling interested to realize that 100 billion

I completely realize that.  If he were to wake up tomorrow and decide to end hunger by cashing in stock, he could lose his controlling interest.  But it’s not that easy anyway.

Right now he’s staring down the barrel of potentially paying half to his wife in a divorce.  Which would also potentially make him lose control of Amazon.

But right now he’s got a team of lawyers and financial planners working for him trying to figure out a way to make his wife the richest woman in the world AND retain control of Amazon.  So that tells me there’s a way that he could do the same to end hunger in America.

But my original point wasn’t to tell JB what to do with his money.  My point was to show that there are obscenely rich people that COULD do way more good than they doing.  They could literally end major strife in this country without hurting themselves financially.  Instead it is put back on the shoulders of those working for the obscenely rich to take care of their fellow human.  As it always has 

• Plus1 3
  • 2 weeks later...

First, this is important. Trump wanted SCOTUS to take up this case and declare DACA unconstitutional to do his dirty work for him. They've declined and the next time they could potentially take up a case would be the summer of 2020 during the heat of an election.

It also kind of destroys Trump's offer to temporarily extend DACA in exchange for the wall. It just got temporarily extended anyway.

Secondly, I found this interesting. The derp wherein anyone who doesn't support each and every one of Trump's ridiculous, cruel immigration policies is accused of wanting open borders is deafening.

• 1 month later...

I don't agree with allowing non-citizens the right to vote in local elections.  Voting is,I believe, the singular most important privilege of citizenship. 

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/mar/8/house-votes-favor-illegal-immigrant-voting/

House Democrats voted Friday to defend localities that allow illegal immigrants to vote in their elections, turning back a GOP attempt to discourage the practice.

The vote marks a stunning reversal from just six months ago, when the chamber — then under GOP control — voted to decry illegal immigrant voting.

“We are prepared to open up the political process and let all of the people come in,” Rep. John Lewis, a Georgia Democrat and hero of the civil rights movement, told colleagues as he led opposition to the GOP measure.

The 228-197 vote came as part of a broader debate on Democrats’ major legislative priority this year, HR 1, the “For the People Act,” which includes historic expansions of voter registration and access, as well as a major rewrite of campaign finance laws.

The measure would have had no practical effect even if it had passed. Illegal immigrants — and indeed noncitizens as a whole — are not legally able to participate in federal elections.

But Republicans had hoped to send a message to localities such as San Francisco, where noncitizens are now allowed to vote in school board elections.

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

I don't agree with allowing non-citizens the right to vote in local elections.  Voting is,I believe, the singular most important privilege of citizenship. 

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/mar/8/house-votes-favor-illegal-immigrant-voting/

Yeah...I'm all for immigration and moral treatment of people who want to come to our country.

But, non citizens shouldn't be voting in elections.

So The Washington Times isn't exactly a non-partisan or respected paper, so I went to learn more about this, as it wasn't publicized anywhere else to my knowledge.  I think you both jumped quickly on a flippant comment in a short article with no facts behind it.

Here's the bill:  https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/1/text

I just did a quick perusal, don't have time to read all the details right now, but I will.  I see nothing relative to illegal immigrants being granted the right to vote.  There is written info on min notice of moving voting site, permitting written statement for proof of ID to vote (more detail below - perhaps the right is stretching this to think an illegal immigrant would do this?), extending rights to family members with spouses serving in the military, accessibility to handicapped people, allowing same day voter registration (also maybe this is where they think the illegals are coming in and voting?)   

If you look at the bill I don't see how you walk away thinking this has anything to do with illegal immigrants voting.  It's making sure young people are registered, that voting locations are where they say they are and have hours that make them accessible.  That mail ballots count and early voting should be the norm, that perhaps voting day should be a holiday, and that at age 18 you should be automatically registered to vote.  Honestly I'm not sure anybody who reads this would have an issue with any of it (unless you're the McCardle mindset that when more people vote GOP loses)

SEC. 303A. PERMITTING USE OF SWORN WRITTEN STATEMENT TO MEET IDENTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS.

“(a) Use Of Statement.—

“(1) IN GENERAL.—Except as provided in subsection (c), if a State has in effect a requirement that an individual present identification as a condition of receiving and casting a ballot in an election for Federal office, the State shall permit the individual to meet the requirement—

“(A) in the case of an individual who desires to vote in person, by presenting the appropriate State or local election official with a sworn written statement, signed by the individual under penalty of perjury, attesting to the individual’s identity and attesting that the individual is eligible to vote in the election; or

“(B) in the case of an individual who desires to vote by mail, by submitting with the ballot the statement described in subparagraph (A).

“(2) DEVELOPMENT OF PRE-PRINTED VERSION OF STATEMENT BY COMMISSION.—The Commission shall develop a pre-printed version of the statement described in paragraph (1)(A) which includes a blank space for an individual to provide a name and signature for use by election officials in States which are subject to paragraph (1).

“(3) PROVIDING PRE-PRINTED COPY OF STATEMENT.—A State which is subject to paragraph (1) shall—

“(A) make copies of the pre-printed version of the statement described in paragraph (1)(A) which is prepared by the Commission available at polling places for election officials to distribute to individuals who desire to vote in person; and

“(B) include a copy of such pre-printed version of the statement with each blank absentee or other ballot transmitted to an individual who desires to vote by mail.

“(b) Requiring Use Of Ballot In Same Manner As Individuals Presenting Identification.—An individual who presents or submits a sworn written statement in accordance with subsection (a)(1) shall be permitted to cast a ballot in the election in the same manner as an individual who presents identification.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Throughout this thread many of us have championed immigration reform, including making the immigration process smoother and easier.

This would be the opposite of that.

So, you make it harder to come here legally, so then they have to come over illegally, giving us more reason to build the wall. Does that sound about right?

• Plus1 3
On 3/8/2019 at 12:53 PM, BigRedBuster said:

Yeah...I'm all for immigration and moral treatment of people who want to come to our country.

But, non citizens shouldn't be voting in elections.

On 3/8/2019 at 11:25 AM, TGHusker said:

The fine print. Not saying you didn’t read it, but I’m posting it just in case because the article tries to make it sound a lot worse than it is. It could still be bad if it opens the floodgates though.

A 1996 federal law prohibits noncitizens from voting in federal elections, but there is no prohibition on localities, and indeed a number of jurisdictions allow it, to some extent.

Famously liberal Takoma Park, a small jurisdiction in Maryland, has for several decades allowed noncitizens, including illegal immigrants, to vote in local elections.

Experts say as many as 40 states or territories allowed noncitizen voting dating back to the nation’s founding

San Francisco in July began allowing noncitizens to vote in school board elections — though they must be parents or legal guardians of students.

On the last paragraph - If the kids themselves are citizens, maybe they should get to vote on it instead of their illegal immigrant parents.

Other than the last paragraph, this seems to be a purely political show by the GOP, since as it says in the article this has been legal in locations since the dawn of America. I assume they originally brought it up merely to make the base angry, in the original vote mentioned here: “The vote marks a stunning reversal from just six months ago, when the chamber — then under GOP control — voted to decry illegal immigrant voting.”

6 months ago was right before the election.

16 hours ago, Moiraine said:

The fine print. Not saying you didn’t read it, but I’m posting it just in case because the article tries to make it sound a lot worse than it is. It could still be bad if it opens the floodgates though.

On the last paragraph - If the kids themselves are citizens, maybe they should get to vote on it instead of their illegal immigrant parents.

Other than the last paragraph, this seems to be a purely political show by the GOP, since as it says in the article this has been legal in locations since the dawn of America. I assume they originally brought it up merely to make the base angry, in the original vote mentioned here: “The vote marks a stunning reversal from just six months ago, when the chamber — then under GOP control — voted to decry illegal immigrant voting.”

6 months ago was right before the election.

Yes I was aware of this - the voting was being allowed in local elections only and not federal. Thusly, I made that section in BOLD in the quote from the article in my original post.  However, my position remains - I still think only citizens should have the right to vote in any and all elections.  This is the true value in citizenship - the right to vote - to determine our representations on the issues that face us.  This is not an "anti" anything opinion but rather a 'right' that gives value to citizenship.  Something that makes citizenship something to be desired.