Immigration Ban

2 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Yes I was aware of this - the voting was being allowed in local elections only and not federal. Thusly, I made that section in BOLD in the quote from the article in my original post.  However, my position remains - I still think only citizens should have the right to vote in any and all elections.  This is the true value in citizenship - the right to vote - to determine our representations on the issues that face us.  This is not an "anti" anything opinion but rather a 'right' that gives value to citizenship.  Something that makes citizenship something to be desired.  

While I generally agree with you, I think things like the local school board elections shouldn't require citizenship to vote.

• 3 weeks later...

12 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm interested in knowing what he specifically means by "closing the border."

So, no goods can pass across either?  If so, I'm sure industry will love that.

I'm sure Americans vacationing in Cancun right now would love that.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm interested in knowing what he specifically means by "closing the border."

So, no goods can pass across either?  If so, I'm sure industry will love that.

that is exactly what he is threatening.  red meat for his "base"

1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

He's a moron, but I'd be all for Mexico facing consequences for allowing their people to flee to the U.S. undeterred. 

What the what?

Do you want countries to try to imprison their people within their own borders? Isn't that against the entire idea of freedom?

"Mr. Gorbachev, build up this wall!" -Ronald Reagan (or at least how the 2019 GOP remember him)

• Plus1 2

34 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

What the what?

Do you want countries to try to imprison their people within their own borders? Isn't that against the entire idea of freedom?

You're being dramatic. Asking large amounts of people to stay within their country's borders is far from imprisonment. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

You're being dramatic. Asking large amounts of people to stay within their country's borders is far from imprisonment. 

That's one of the more insane and oppressive things I've heard. So you'd be ok with our government banning you from leaving the country? If that had been the case, many of our ancestors wouldn't have been allowed to emigrate, and we wouldn't be here.

• Plus1 3
6 hours ago, RedDenver said:

That's one of the more insane and oppressive things I've heard. So you'd be ok with our government banning you from leaving the country? If that had been the case, many of our ancestors wouldn't have been allowed to emigrate, and we wouldn't be here.

It's oppressive to ask that masses of people not enter your country illegally? Now that's insane....

Ellis Island, and what's happening at our southern border are not equatable.

5 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

It's oppressive to ask that masses of people not enter your country illegally? Now that's insane....

Ellis Island, and what's happening at our southern border are not equatable.

You know he’s talking about stopping people leaving. Not stopping people entering. They’re very different things.

• Plus1 1