Immigration Ban

11 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I found this graph interesting.  Not because of where opinions are now.  But, where opinions were historically prior to 2011.  Majority of Americans didn't think immigrants strengthened America until around 2014?

That seems about right. The economic benefits of immigrants (legal or illegal) weren't really talked about, it was a boiled-down conversation of "they're taking our jobs" or "we're the melting pot."

That chart looks like a horse constellation. :D

30 minutes ago, knapplc said:

That seems about right. The economic benefits of immigrants (legal or illegal) weren't really talked about, it was a boiled-down conversation of "they're taking our jobs" or "we're the melting pot."

That chart looks like a horse constellation. :D

I guess I always felt that the "Melting pot" or "nation of immigrant's" feeling was stronger than "They're taking our jobs".  

I guess not.

So, what do you think changed in 2014?  Or.....actually 2011 since that's where the trend started.

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, what do you think changed in 2014?  Or.....actually 2011 since that's where the trend started.

My guess is people just started pushing back against the right-wing outrage over immigrants. The rhetoric stepped up, along with all the other hate rhetoric from the right-wingers, so factual information came out in response.

I didn't give immigrants much thought, so to me it was a bit of a lightbulb moment when I saw how much illegals contribute to the economy, often without getting anything in return. Take Social Security - I vaguely knew they contributed to it through withholdings, but I just never paid attention to the fact that they weren't ever going to claim any of that contribution. I remember seeing somewhere that they contribute billions to SS alone, and those contributions may have kept it afloat.  Weird to think of it that way.

7 hours ago, knapplc said:

My guess is people just started pushing back against the right-wing outrage over immigrants. The rhetoric stepped up, along with all the other hate rhetoric from the right-wingers, so factual information came out in response. 

I didn't give immigrants much thought, so to me it was a bit of a lightbulb moment when I saw how much illegals contribute to the economy, often without getting anything in return. Take Social Security - I vaguely knew they contributed to it through withholdings, but I just never paid attention to the fact that they weren't ever going to claim any of that contribution. I remember seeing somewhere that they contribute billions to SS alone, and those contributions may have kept it afloat.  Weird to think of it that way. 

They also go to the store and pay sales tax on the things they buy just like the rest of us.

And yet you still get angry, ignorant right--wingers raving about how they just come here to freeload and don't pay a dime in taxes.

Edit: Looks like one of those morons managed to find the eyeroll button. Astounding.

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I guess I always felt that the "Melting pot" or "nation of immigrant's" feeling was stronger than "They're taking our jobs".  

I guess not.

10 years post 9/11 may have something to do with it too. We learned a lot jumping to conclusions about some one just because of how they look. Then we forgot it all....

4 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

They also go to the store and pay sales tax on the things they buy just like the rest of us.

And yet you still get angry, ignorant right--wingers raving about how they just come here to freeload and don't pay a dime in taxes.

Edit: Looks like one of those morons managed to find the eyeroll button. Astounding.

Is the eyeroller admitting they are "ignorant"????   Classic!

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, knapplc said:

Interesting. Is this deliberate misinformation or is this an honest mistake?

Except that...

The US CBP website says we're way below those 2001 numbers.

So... where's the crisis?  And why is the USCBP Chief tweeting that it's worse than in her 25 years, when it's not?

Giving the benefit of the doubt, I don't know how you accurately assess numbers of illegals who successfully cross over (if you know about them and they're illegal, you'd stop them??), and also apprehensions are not necessarily an accurate predictor of total people. 

I mean, don't get me wrong, I think the accusations are bulls#!t, but I still don't really understand how those numbers work.

49 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Giving the benefit of the doubt, I don't know how you accurately assess numbers of illegals who successfully cross over (if you know about them and they're illegal, you'd stop them??), and also apprehensions are not necessarily an accurate predictor of total people. 

I mean, don't get me wrong, I think the accusations are bulls#!t, but I still don't really understand how those numbers work.

Statistics can be used to get a pretty solid estimate, although I have no idea if they've ever done that. They could randomly select days to fully cover certain swaths of the border, or they could monitor one swath of the border for many days in a row, and use that data to predict what's happening throughout the year. If they did that for a few years they could get more specific on the effect of the time of year.

They've increased the # of agents by a lot though and the # of arrests has gone down. Just by using common sense it's pretty clear the # of crossings has decreased.

8 hours ago, Landlord said:

She can't, she can only go by the hard numbers she has available, which are the apprehensions.

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

She can't, she can only go by the hard numbers she has available, which are the apprehensions.

I mean, people make millions and billions of dollars using statistics to accurately asses much more complicated problems than this.

So she/we could, but we probably aren’t doing that.

Which I know is beside your point. She’s taking the #s she has access to and saying the opposite. Clearly the admin promised her something.