Immigration Ban

20 minutes ago, QMany said:

I can't believe anyone ever took offense/objection to "baskets of deplorables." 

It was mostly accurate.

They’re real upset about unborn children being murdered but if it’s a Mexican over a day old go ahead. 

• Plus1 2

http://loweringthebar.net/2019/05/assorted-stupidity-124.html

• Remember the national emergency on the southern border? Great news: the government is preparing to deploy members of that elite security force, the TSA, to help with the continuing crisis. CNN reports that hundreds of TSA workers from various parts of that agency will be retasked, thus diverting them from whatever useless task they are performing now to one for which they are even more poorly trained. Will they be able to surpass their historical detection-failure rate of nearly 96 percent? Stay tuned.
  • According to CNN, the email it obtained indicates that “[o]fficials expect the contingent to ultimately include federal air marshals who typically fly in plain clothes on commercial flights to prevent terror attacks,” because it makes perfect sense to have those people go walk around in the desert instead.

Meanwhile, Trump is making great progress in fulfilling his promise to build the wall

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/federal-wall-funding-of-1-57-billion-yields-1-7-miles-of-fence-1.1262220

U.S. Customs and Border Protection has put up just 1.7 miles of fencing with the US$1.57 billion that Congress appropriated last year for President Donald Trump’s wall along the Mexican border, a federal judge was told.

I was in a border state this week for work, and had a cab driver from PR.  I asked him how he feels about his island getting the right to vote.  To say I was shocked at his response is an understatement.  

He immediately said, "No.  We contribute nothing to the US why should we have the opportunity to vote?"  Then he went on to spout the Fox News/Trump diatribe.  "The news isnt' telling the truth.  PR is taking US dollars and not using them for helping rebuild.  There are people that can work that don't and they take welfare support .... etc"

I had to really check myself, and so I didn't ask any more questions.  But I can just not fathom how people that are directly impacted by this administration's policies and disgusting comments can fall in line.  I have a business colleague who's parents are middle eastern immigrants and they voted for and continue to support Trump.  What the heck kind of world is this now?

• Plus1 3
43 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

I was in a border state this week for work, and had a cab driver from PR.  I asked him how he feels about his island getting the right to vote.  To say I was shocked at his response is an understatement.   

He immediately said, "No.  We contribute nothing to the US why should we have the opportunity to vote?"  Then he went on to spout the Fox News/Trump diatribe.  "The news isnt' telling the truth.  PR is taking US dollars and not using them for helping rebuild.  There are people that can work that don't and they take welfare support .... etc"

I had to really check myself, and so I didn't ask any more questions.  But I can just not fathom how people that are directly impacted by this administration's policies and disgusting comments can fall in line.  I have a business colleague who's parents are middle eastern immigrants and they voted for and continue to support Trump.  What the heck kind of world is this now? 

Read a story about an evangelical dude who was married to an undocumented immigrant who's since been deported. He's trying his best to get her back here but has so far been unsuccessful.

Says he's still unsure whether it was a mistake to vote for Trump and that he believes God will ultimately smile on that decision.

I guess when you get down to it people can be a lot more complex than we give them credit for. Not everyone fits nicely into a little predetermined box. People will go a long way even in the face of overwhelming evidence to justify continuing to support someone they like.

31 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Read a story about an evangelical dude who was married to an undocumented immigrant who's since been deported. He's trying his best to get her back here but has so far been unsuccessful.

Says he's still unsure whether it was a mistake to vote for Trump and that he believes God will ultimately smile on that decision.

I guess when you get down to it people can be a lot more complex than we give them credit for. Not everyone fits nicely into a little predetermined box. People will go a long way even in the face of overwhelming evidence to justify continuing to support someone they like.

Yes, people are often much more complex under the surface. But if my wife got deported, and I still support the politician who is in favor of, or responsible for, that act, that wouldn't make me complex. It would make me an a$$h@!e. 

• Plus1 2

• 2 weeks later...

This could have been posted in a couple different topics here, but felt like with the recent debate about the "hoards" of immigrants crossing illegally it might best be put here in order to try and put a face on those coming and why they decide it's worth it to leave their home country.  Worth a full read.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/06/07/domestic-violence-immigration-asylum-caravan-honduras-central-america-227086

• Thanks 1

A Trump Victory:  As promised:  The wall is being built......................................................around the white house 

Fortress Trump:

https://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2019-06-07/construction-to-begin-soon-on-taller-white-house-fence

The White House is getting a new 13-foot fence, almost double its current height, to help keep intruders out.

The Secret Service says the $64 million construction project will soon begin on what eventually will be a 13-foot, 1-inch (3.96-meter) fence, including wider and stronger pickets.

The existing fence stands about 6-feet, 6 inches (1.83-meters) tall.

The Secret Service, which provides security protection for the president and the White House, declined to provide details of the state-of-the-art security features it says will be part of the new barrier.

• 2 weeks later...