Immigration Ban

On 8/9/2021 at 9:04 AM, Dr. Strangelove said:

Yeah, this sounds pretty stupid and is likely not true. Investigate it, sure. But it is almost certainly untrue. 

As for "abolish ICE", any Democrat running on that message or any pushing that message within the party deserves to lose. It is not only a dumb idea, but it will also cost them elections in an environment where they already play at a massive disadvantage. 

I agree that it can easily cost them elections, but why is it a dumb idea? 

It was founded in 2003. Was America some lawless hellscape before then? 

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

I agree that it can easily cost them elections, but why is it a dumb idea? 

It was founded in 2003. Was America some lawless hellscape before then? 

My basis is predicated entirely on elections. "Abolish ICE" is an idea that would cost Democrats more than "Defund the Police" in 2020. Their electoral position is already in a catastrophic place for the foreseeable future, there is no need to intentionally step on an Electoral landmine with "abolish ICE" in their platform.

As for the agency itself, I don't have much of an opinion. Pre-2003 it wasn't different, they simply combined several offices and agencies under a larger, unified structure. Missions served by INS moved to the new ICE and so on. Abolishing it wouldn't accomplish anything. The mission would simply be passed onto other DHS agencies, like CBP, TSA or USCIS.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

As for the agency itself, I don't have much of an opinion. Pre-2003 it wasn't different, they simply combined several offices and agencies under a larger, unified structure. Missions served by INS moved to the new ICE and so on. Abolishing it wouldn't accomplish anything. The mission would simply be passed onto other DHS agencies, like CBP, TSA or USCIS.

Honestly that sounds preferable. In some areas we do have unnecessary government bloat with agencies whose mission could be effectively accomplished elsewhere (looking at you, DHS). And I would argue ICE itself serves as a home for a lot of the castoffs and rejects for other government agencies - unfortunately many times the more xenophobic ones. 

I'm not under any impression this would be an electorally popular opinion, though. Luckily I don't have to worry about it any time soon.

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

My basis is predicated entirely on elections. "Abolish ICE" is an idea that would cost Democrats more than "Defund the Police" in 2020. Their electoral position is already in a catastrophic place for the foreseeable future, there is no need to intentionally step on an Electoral landmine with "abolish ICE" in their platform.

I think it's a case of Dems messaging poorly and/or the voters not understanding the actual policy or implications. Instead of "abolish ICE" they could run on "restore CBP" (or something better), which could be functionally the same but would poll better.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
16 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Mass Immigration, especially from the Middle East, is never a good idea. Poor Sweden meant well.

I'm just trying to imagine what would happen in red states in the USA if a Dem POTUS candidate went around burning Bibles at his/her campaign appearances...

I'm not condoning the riots, but to pretend "christians" are above this is silly.  Many of them feel persecuted just because the Starbucks cup says happy holidays...

People suck.  No need to attach muslim/christian/jewish to any of it...

Edit:  Again, I'm am not for the riots.  But I'd say immigration from Muslim countries can be a great thing as it would teach many "christians" that the world is full of beliefs and cultures.  And in a free world, those differences should be respected.  Now if zealots break laws, Christian or Muslim, or any other religious group, book'em Danno!

If anything, the actions of the rioters shows what can happen when everyone, from top to bottom, is forced to believe the same thing.  The migrants are coming from places that it might possibly be punishable by death to believe in something other than the Koran...

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 2

Mass Immigration, especially from the Middle East, is never a good idea. Poor Sweden meant well.

Tell me you're bigoted with out really telling me you're bigoted.

You do know there are many christians who have immigrated in mass from various countries across the middle east and that the majority of muslim immigrants don't cause any problems in their new country.

• Plus1 6
  • Thanks 3

Mass Immigration, especially from the Middle East, is never a good idea.

Nebraska has a pretty sizable immigrant population from the Middle East. They work in our packing plants where Whites won't work. They are good people and good neighbors. I'm not really sure a riot half the world away changes any of that.

Because our elites refuse to talk about the Islamist problem

What does this even mean? Who are "our elites?"

What is "the Islamist problem?" Is that anything like Hitler's "Jewish problem?"

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 2
11 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Nebraska has a pretty sizable immigrant population from the Middle East. They work in our packing plants where Whites won't work. They are good people and good neighbors. I'm not really sure a riot half the world away changes any of that.

What does this even mean? Who are "our elites?"

What is "the Islamist problem?" Is that anything like Hitler's "Jewish problem?"

My favorite student I've had this year (out of 593) is an immigrant from Afghanistan.  And she was fasting for Ramadan, so it's safe to assume she is Muslim...

She will do some really cool things for the U.S.  And I'll add, I've also taught my own kids this year!

edit: And thinking back over 11 years, my second favorite student might have been an Muslim immigrant from Iraq when I was at Lincoln NE.  She was always respectful and wanted to focus on learning.  I've also seen here presence on FB with former students, and she has turned out great!

Am I biased, or are Muslim parents better at raising respectful students?  I don't know...

• Plus1 5
17 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Be careful reporting news in the world.  This is sensitive material, especially for some of the self-proclaimed non-christians on this board, who have openly slammed the door closed on Christianity, but will speak kindly on behalf of muslim culture, people and their religion.   

I would hope we all can agree, it is horrible to burn bibles (Christian, Jewish, Islam, etc), and just as bad, is the evil behavior to start riots that burn buildings and wound people for it.  It's not peaceful, and it is incredibly insensitive and hateful.  

Let us pray for a peaceful resolution for all.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1