Immigration Ban

41 minutes ago, admo said:

Be careful reporting news in the world.  This is sensitive material, especially for some of the self-proclaimed non-christians on this board, who have openly slammed the door closed on Christianity, but will speak kindly on behalf of muslim culture, people and their religion.   

I would hope we all can agree, it is horrible to burn bibles (Christian, Jewish, Islam, etc), and just as bad, is the evil behavior to start riots that burn buildings and wound people for it.  It's not peaceful, and it is incredibly insensitive and hateful.  

Let us pray for a peaceful resolution for all.

Please let me know when you have said anything different than I may have...

• Plus1 1

5 hours ago, admo said:

Be careful reporting news in the world.  This is sensitive material, especially for some of the self-proclaimed non-christians on this board, who have openly slammed the door closed on Christianity, but will speak kindly on behalf of muslim culture, people and their religion.   

I would hope we all can agree, it is horrible to burn bibles (Christian, Jewish, Islam, etc), and just as bad, is the evil behavior to start riots that burn buildings and wound people for it.  It's not peaceful, and it is incredibly insensitive and hateful.  

Let us pray for a peaceful resolution for all.

Can we please stop taunting/harassing the board like this? I've seen several posts like these over the last few days and they are incredibly insincere. The intent is obvious.

• Haha 1

There is no taunting/harassing the board as you say.  There is no obvious intent as you say. 

Calling something incredibly insincere in the P&R forum is your own opinion, and misinterpretation, on a message board.  But also, anybody can disagree with your opinion as well, on a message board.  

I am getting tired of false accusations when opinions are different.  Can we please stop that.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, admo said:

There is no taunting/harassing the board as you say.  There is no obvious intent as you say. 

Calling something incredibly insincere in the P&R forum is your own opinion, and misinterpretation, on a message board.  But also, anybody can disagree with your opinion as well, on a message board.  

I am getting tired of false accusations when opinions are different.  Can we please stop that.

Oh, I'm sorry. I was just quoting @Enhance.

2 minutes ago, admo said:

:yeah

• Plus1 4
8 hours ago, knapplc said:

What is "the Islamist problem?" Is that anything like Hitler's "Jewish problem?"

I don't and wouldn't use the language of "the islamist problem", because I think it paints with a painfully too wide brush, but I think it's also naive to to not recognize that islam has a very violent fringe. It is absolutely a fringe, and is still small, but compared to other major religions seems to be disproportionately troublesome. 

I'm drastically far from being an expert on world religion and am glad to be proven wrong but per my perspective of the world there's far more violent extremism acted out under the banner of Islam than there is under Christianity/Judaism/Hinduism/Buddhism.

But in case I'm not abundantly clear the overwhelming majority of Muslim folks, especially immigrants, are kind humble peaceful folks, and the crazies don't define the religion the same way that Westboro Baptist Church doesn't define Christianity.

10 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

I don't and wouldn't use the language of "the islamist problem", because I think it paints with a painfully too wide brush, but I think it's also naive to to not recognize that islam has a very violent fringe. It is absolutely a fringe, and is still small, but compared to other major religions seems to be disproportionately troublesome. 

I'm drastically far from being an expert on world religion and am glad to be proven wrong but per my perspective of the world there's far more violent extremism acted out under the banner of Islam than there is under Christianity/Judaism/Hinduism/Buddhism.

But in case I'm not abundantly clear the overwhelming majority of Muslim folks, especially immigrants, are kind humble peaceful folks, and the crazies don't define the religion the same way that Westboro Baptist Church doesn't define Christianity.

I think there's some recency bias, or whatever you want to call it with Islam and violence. There are plenty of examples of Christian violence not that long ago; abortion clinic bombings, civil rights opposition, the KKK, etc. You could probably even lump the Q movement in as well since most of them claim to love Jesus. And as for Judaism, Israel is essentially a religious state that violently oppresses Palestinians so there's that...

I also find it interesting that Islam is 6 to 700 years younger than Christianity. If you go back 700 years into the past of Christianity you are just wrapping up the crusades, and about to ramp up all kinds of inquisitions. It was an extremely violent time for the religion. It's an interesting parallel to me.

I'm not excusing any of the violence in our modern world, but we should always have some perspective.

• Plus1 3

There is a very clear issue with those of the Islamic faith in countries throughout Europe. You don’t have to look far to find plenty of examples. The terrorism in Sweden, and the blocking of an Easter procession in Spain, are just very recent examples. Pointing out the clear danger in Islamic ideologies (or at least the interpretation of the ideologies by a large number of Muslims) is not bigoted, and suggesting differently is moronic and an intentional effort to the avoid the obvious. The potential danger of the Islamic faith is obvious to most reasonable people, even popular figures on the left like Sam Harris and Bill Maher. Of course they’re not all bad, even most. But in this situation, the fringe isn’t small. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

The potential danger of the Islamic faith is obvious to most reasonable people, even popular figures on the left like Sam Harris and Bill Maher. 

There is no danger "of the Islamic faith". There's danger of radical zealots, who use religious ideology as a weapon, which Islam has a bit more notable of a share of. Language like this implies that it's baked inherently into the religion, which it isn't.

But in this situation, the fringe isn’t small. 

The fringe is absolutely small. There are two billion Muslims worldwide, and almost all of them are peaceful people who find terrorism horrific and evil.

FT_15.11.17_isis_views.png

gsi2-overview-13.png

gsi2-appa-5.png

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

There is a very clear issue with those of the Islamic faith in countries throughout Europe.

There's a very clear issue with those of Christian faith throughout the world.

We could compare receipts if you like.

The potential danger of the Islamic faith is obvious

@Enhance

You're curating P&R. Is this OK?

• Plus1 1
28 minutes ago, knapplc said:

There's a very clear issue with those of Christian faith throughout the world.

We could compare receipts if you like.

@Enhance

You're curating P&R. Is this OK?

Please use the report function in the future. I'm not the P&R curator. Today is my first time checking in on the board in a few days so it doesn't do a lot of good to tag one specific mod like this. 

This thread also isn't really the place to discuss whether or not a post is against board guidelines. If you think something is over the line then report it and let us handle it.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Enhance said:

Please use the report function in the future. I'm not the P&R curator. Today is my first time checking in on the board in a few days so it doesn't do a lot of good to tag one specific mod like this. 

This thread also isn't really the place to discuss whether or not a post is against board guidelines. If you think something is over the line then report it and let us handle it.

Dude...this is harsh!  Haha

• Haha 2