Immigration Ban

Well, I am not Jack Bauer but do you think that terrorists can do harm in more ways than just killing?

I don't know much about the human resources for terror groups but I am guessing they are not just looking to fill one job category.

every muslim must be a terrorists?

At no time did I say that. This is the problem with this thread and all of them. You are not asking a question you are being "that guy".

I simply said that not all terrorists kill people. There are lots of ways to help the evil.

with the vetting they go through to get in now absolutely none of the people from these countries has ever committed a terrorists act here in the united states....but they must all be stopped now because?????? ehh...nm. the united states is scared of them all because they COULD BE helping the bad guys and need to keep them all out i guess.

What's sad about these conversations (threads) where those who have a contrary opinion are misrepresented, restated to mean something that was not the original intent or labeled is, your forcing some to say screw it, avoiding giving their input and ultimately these threads will be void of reason and criticle dialogue.

Won't that be fun for those who remain?

You want to save time & energy while coming away with an opinion that fits within your box? Simply talk to your mirror!

Where were these protests when 84HuskerLaw & bnilhome were ranting and raving about Liberals the past year?

I know it's fun to play the victim, but these complaints ring hollow when you allowed them to go on without protest throughout the election cycle - or in the case of some, participated in it.

If the post is over the top, PM a Mod or report it. They'll take care of it. "But knapplc, the Mods are all liberals!!!11!!eleven!!" Nope, and even the ones you think are have a solid sense of right & wrong.

This is not directed specifically at you, TAKODA.

• Fire 5

What's sad about these conversations (threads) where those who have a contrary opinion are misrepresented, restated to mean something that was not the original intent or labeled is, your forcing some to say screw it, avoiding giving their input and ultimately these threads will be void of reason and criticle dialogue.

You want to save time & energy while coming away with an opinion that fits within your box? Simply talk to your mirror!

Where were these protests when 84HuskerLaw & bnilhome were ranting and raving about Liberals the past year?

I know it's fun to play the victim, but these complaints ring hollow when you allowed them to go on without protest throughout the election cycle - or in the case of some, participated in it.

If the post is over the top, PM a Mod or report it. They'll take care of it. "But knapplc, the Mods are all liberals!!!11!!eleven!!" Nope, and even the ones you think are have a solid sense of right & wrong.

Knapp, I know your not directing your comment specifically towards me, but for 84 and Bnls comments were theirs alone and there were more than enough posters who lambasted them for their views. Those I speak of did not side one way or the other, they simply have an opinion they feel should be heard. Heck, we have a mod who sees the issue to which I speak, you have JJ and Teach cringing at trying to share an honest opinion and neither of them would be considered supporters of DT.

I remain in the boat that while DT would NOT have been my choice, I do believe the intentions he has here by making our country safer, is needed. How we get there is a matter of opinion, reasoning and everyone coming together!

Edit ~ faith or hope that we will do things right, either way, I think some additional vetting is a must! Why leave the decisions on good risk bad risk to the local law enforcement. They have enough on their plate, trying to

protect and serve.

Edit ~ Edit~ and HC was most defiantly not my choice!

More of the same, for 4 or 8 more years, PASS

• Fire 3

Knapp, I know your not directing your comment specifically towards me, but for 84 and Bnls comments were theirs alone and there were more than enough posters who lambasted them for their views. Those I speak of did not side one way or the other, they simply have an opinion they feel should be heard. Heck, we have a mod who sees the issue to which I speak, you have JJ and Teach cringing at trying to share an honest opinion and neither of them would be considered supporters of DT.

Nobody is stopping them from voicing their opinions. They are crying because people show, through facts, that what they're saying is wrong. They don't want to have a conversation, they want to be agreed with and told that their opinions are correct.

This is not a safe space for people who only want to listen to their echo chamber opinions. If that's what they want, they need to go somewhere else. This is a healthy place of good conversation, where opinions are challenged by sharp people.

I can handle being told I'm wrong, being shown I'm wrong. It's one of the best parts of this forum. In just the past ten days I've been shown, through solid arguments & sourced material, that opinions I've held are either factually incorrect or outright wrong. Should I complain that I'm being oppressed? Nope. I learned from it and thanked the guy who showed me - even encouraged him to post more.

If people aren't capable of handling that, that's their problem, not this forum's.

• Fire 5

Well, I am not Jack Bauer but do you think that terrorists can do harm in more ways than just killing?

I don't know much about the human resources for terror groups but I am guessing they are not just looking to fill one job category.

At no time did I say that. This is the problem with this thread and all of them. You are not asking a question you are being "that guy".

I simply said that not all terrorists kill people. There are lots of ways to help the evil.

with the vetting they go through to get in now absolutely none of the people from these countries has ever committed a terrorists act here in the united states....but they must all be stopped now because?????? ehh...nm. the united states is scared of them all because they COULD BE helping the bad guys and need to keep them all out i guess.

The US is not scared of them. The US is being careful. There is a difference.

I remain in the boat that while DT would NOT have been my first choice, I do believe the intentions he has here by making our country safer, is needed. How we get there is a matter of opinion, reasoning and everyone coming together!

Edit ~ faith or hope that we will do things right, either way, I think some additional vetting is a must! Why leave the decisions on good risk bad risk to the local law enforcement. They have enough on their plate, trying to

protect and serve.

The others are quality examples, but not Teach. This place is a massive echo chamber right now, and as I've said before, not without good reason. That being said there are 4 or 5 poster who mostly lean left that are driving down discussion. They are passionate about the issues (which is great), but the manner in which they respond doesn't help to further the conversation, or make opposing parties think about an issue from a different perspective. We all need to stop jumping to conclusions and ask questions to better understand each other.
  • Fire 2

and...they weren't being careful before?

This reminds me of when my wife yells at me for having a cup of coffee in the living room because she is so concerned I am going to spill it all over our carpet and leave a permanent stain. I've been married to her now for over 25 years, have drank coffee since before we were married. But, she remembers the one time right after we were married and lived in an apartment and I dribbled two spots on the carpet.

• Fire 1

That being said there are 4 or 5 poster who mostly lean left that are driving down discussion. They are passionate about the issues (which is great), but the manner in which they respond doesn't help to further the conversation, or make opposing parties think about an issue from a different perspective.

It's great that you're not naming names so those people you're accusing can't defend themselves, and/or you don't have to provide proof of what you're accusing them of.

• Fire 4

The 7 countries on the list where the other Muslim countries are not taking refugees from, are countries without functioning governments. I would also like to add that, many posters are asking why DT is not listing other countries? These 7 countries were identified by Obamas national security task force, not DT's!

Obama's list of countries was in reference to people who had visited those places, not citizens, and only applied to those people not being granted visa waivers.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/29/us/mit-syria-student-ban-trnd/

All through high school, the 18-year-old had one goal in mind: get an engineering degree from the prestigious Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

But Hassan is from Damascus, Syria. And Friday, he had his hopes crushed through no fault of his own.

If you want to argue that people like Hasan are harming America in ways other than killing people, that's your right. Find a way to support it.

• Fire 2

All through high school, the 18-year-old had one goal in mind: get an engineering degree from the prestigious Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

But Hassan is from Damascus, Syria. And Friday, he had his hopes crushed through no fault of his own.

If you want to argue that people like Hasan are harming America in ways other than killing people, that's your right. Find a way to support it.

and...they weren't being careful before?

This reminds me of when my wife yells at me for having a cup of coffee in the living room because she is so concerned I am going to spill it all over our carpet and leave a permanent stain. I've been married to her now for over 25 years, have drank coffee since before we were married. But, she remembers the one time right after we were married and lived in an apartment and I dribbled two spots on the carpet.

I guess I would ask this...are you more careful now, less careful now or the same? And, in those 25 years have you ever spilled again? If so, could it have been avoided?

Zoogs, I have no idea about this but does MIT not offer online courses? They might not, I thought that Harvard has/was still trying to hold out from doing that but I never checked. But, if his hopes ere to get a degree from MIT and if he can obtain that online, well, sounds like he might still be able to obtain those hopes.