Immigration Ban

What's fascinating to me is not that people would boycott Starbucks over that, but that they would find a way to convince themselves that this response -- angry derision over a positive commitment to help helpless refugees -- is one that deserves plaudits.

Will you be helping any refugees?

Why would it make a difference? What if he is helping?

There are a ton of ways to help with the refugee situation right here in Nebraska. Many do.

• Fire 4

Here's an interesting well-written piece on the ban from a local perspective:

Hansen: It's hard to find an expert who says Trump's order makes the U.S. safer

As an aside, Matt Hansen was part of a panel that came and spoke to us at my Intro to Mass Comm class at UNO. He seemed like a really cool dude. Talked about how he grew up dreaming about covering Nebraska sports, but when he finally got his break and started covering it, found it was not what he had hoped. Proceeded to transition to covering other news.

Anyway, this whole thread has largely been a lot of us decrying the immigration ban, and some of us taking a wait and see approach or deferring to the Executive's authority on the matter. A consensus that we seem to all agree on is that we need to constantly scrutinize our vetting procedures to make sure they're effective. To that end, some feel a temporary ban is useful, while others think it is hogwash.

There's not been a whole lot of talk to the other side of that coin - there is a strong argument to be made a rushed, poorly thought out ban makes us LESS safe.

• Fire 1

What's fascinating to me is not that people would boycott Starbucks over that, but that they would find a way to convince themselves that this response -- angry derision over a positive commitment to help helpless refugees -- is one that deserves plaudits.

Will you be helping any refugees?

Why would it make a difference? What if he is helping?

There are a ton of ways to help with the refugee situation right here in Nebraska. Many do.

I would say zoogs & others are helping by voicing their opinions on this board & elsewhere. Many of us would love to do more but that's not always an option.

Regardless of one's personal beliefs, doing SOMETHING, ANYTHING is sorely needed. This applies to anything in which a person believes or supports. It's so easy to be apathetic and that is what is truly damaging. I support all protestors, even those that are diametrically opposed to my beliefs. Activism of any kind makes this country great.

When we hit Denver, there are a couple Middle Eastern/Persian markets we try to hit. The food quality is top notch and there are a lot of items that cannot be purchased anywhere else. Since the ban, we started ordering as much as we can from these markets. Given how these communities are being treated, a little inconvenience is the least we can bear. I feel like it's a practical way to support local residents/citizens directly affected by this ban. When we left a Halal butcher yesterday, the owner (an Iranian) stopped us at our car to thank us for our business. He was overly grateful. He has lost most of his white customers over the past weeks and has been treated like hell. It reinforced this was right decision. Local communities like this need some positive support in so many ways right now.

• Fire 1

I knew they lost a ton of market share last year and were trying to figure out how to attract more millenials. This is what they came up with for their marketing campaign for the next year? Hmm...

Maybe they should make their mass-market beer taste better.

I know Coors is in denial on that; gotta assume AB is as well. The root of the problem is people not buying the beer; not that the beer is no longer worth buying... lol