Immigration Ban

19 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

There are people who are pro life who do not support the GOP.

2 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Bullocks! Things are either black or white, sir. There is no grey in this world. 

I should have been more clear. I was talking about the pro-life movement in general, which has irrationally attached themselves to the GOP.

But if you support or turn a blind eye to caging children at the border, not funding healthcare for children, etc. etc., then you're not pro-life. You just aren't.

• Fire 1

Been a bit busy this week and haven't been around here as much, but this just popped up in my Twitter.

This is disgusting. Everyone should be mortified by this. These human beings don't count less or have any less inherent dignity than any of us just because they're not U.S. citizens. We should all be ashamed fellow Americans have carried on this appalling misconduct.

A 16-year-old Guatemalan boy held in Yuma, Arizona, said he and others in his cell complained about the taste of the water and food they were given. The Customs and Border Protection agents took the mats out of their cell in retaliation, forcing them to sleep on hard concrete.

A 15-year-old girl from Honduras described a large, bearded officer putting his hands inside her bra, pulling down her underwear and groping her as part of what was meant to be a routine pat down in front of other immigrants and officers.

The girl said "she felt embarrassed as the officer was speaking in English to other officers and laughing" during the entire process, according to a report of her account.

A 17-year-old boy from Honduras said officers would scold detained children when they would get close to a window, and would sometimes call them "puto," an offensive term in Spanish, while they were giving orders.

Personally I think I'm most disturbed that a lot (most?) of my fellow Americans don't seem to give a sh#t about this stuff.

• Thanks 1
  • 5 weeks later...

If most of us agree on this, why are the people who control Congress & the White House sitting on their hands doing nothing?

Almost three-quarters of Americans want undocumented immigrants to be able to legally stay in the US

(CNN)A huge majority of Americans want there to be a way for immigrants living in the US illegally to stay in the country legally, if requirements are met, according to a new survey by the Pew Research Center out Monday.

Over the last week, immigration authorities rounded up 680 undocumented immigrants in a record-setting operation, taking place at seven sites in six cities in Mississippi. The raids are believed to be the "the largest single-state immigration enforcement operation in our nation's history," according to US Attorney for the Southern District of Mississippi Mike Hurst.

The survey was conducted from late July to early August, before the raids in Mississippi, and found 72% of Americans want there to be a path to legal status for undocumented immigrants, while only about a quarter think there should be a national law enforcement effort to deport all undocumented immigrants.

Republicans and Republican-leaning independents mostly agree that there should be a legal way for undocumented immigrants to remain in the US (54%), but that view is on the decline, down 5 percentage points since a March 2017 Pew poll. Almost 9 in 10 Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents support a legal way for undocumented immigrants to become citizens, which is steady since 2017.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve noticed this with the Hispanic immigrants around me. They come to America and get a job.....maybe not making much. But they instill in their  kids a work ethic and the importance of an education. 

Americans sit around and teach their kids all the reasons why they will still be poor. 

(yes...I know there are some huge generalizations in my post). 

the thread of tweets are interesting. 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I’ve noticed this with the Hispanic immigrants around me. They come to America and get a job.....maybe not making much. But they instill in their  kids a work ethic and the importance of an education. 

Americans sit around and teach their kids all the reasons why they will still be poor. 

(yes...I know there are some huge generalizations in my post). 

the thread of tweets are interesting. 

I agree with you for the most part, with regards to the first generation newcomer/their kids...the second generation however, at least here in Central NE, tends to fall away from that work ethic and take the education part for granted. Grandpa/ma and Dad/Mom work hard, sometimes 2-3 jobs, to buy a house and stability...the kids/grandkids, not so much

33 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I agree with you for the most part, with regards to the first generation newcomer/their kids...the second generation however, at least here in Central NE, tends to fall away from that work ethic and take the education part for granted. Grandpa/ma and Dad/Mom work hard, sometimes 2-3 jobs, to buy a house and stability...the kids/grandkids, not so much

I guess I don't see that.  I live in an area with really two different hispanic groups of immigrants.  The first group immigrated here in the early 1900s to work in agriculture. (Potato fields, cattle industry, sugar beats...etc.)  The kids and grandkids of these immigrants graduated with me and I don't remember or see many of them having the attitude you mention.  Off the top of my head, the hispanics I graduated with, have had kids that have gone on to college and moving on and having the house, job..family...etc. you mention

Now, we have the "new" immigrants coming in and many times, the top of the graduating classes are hispanic.