Immigration Ban

http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2017/02/24/517023337/deported-with-a-valid-u-s-visa-jordanian-says-message-is-youre-not-welcome?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20170225

"He said, 'Sir, we're going to be cancelling your visa,'" says Abu Romman.

He shows me his U.S. visa with the words "Revoked – cancelled by CBP" – Customs and Border Protection — written across it with a red marker. (...)

Khabbas, wearing designer sunglasses and an elegant head scarf woven with gold threads, is an engineer. She says it's tough to make ends meet in Jordan, but neither she nor her friends are considering the U.S.

"America was an opportunity for people here before," says the 22-year-old. "But now, no one is actually thinking about the United States for a future place to live."

Those of you loving this, feel free to celebrate below.

I've been to this bar; it is about 10 minutes from my house and 5 minutes from my office.

2 of the victims (one dead, one injured) are Garmin engineers originally from India. According to witnesses, the white killer was screaming racial slurs and telling the men to "get out of my country" before he opened fire.

QFT. Saw this this morning:

This nutball used the anti-immigrant sentiment in the country as justification for shooting up two Americans. One's now dead.

Unfortunately, this story got mostly swept under the rug because of POTUS's daily antics. Not one word from him on this.

Reverse the roles - an immigrant asks two non-immigrants whether they voted for Trump and them blows them away. It'd be a national story, and POTUS and his underlings would be all over it - because that story is politically useful to them.

• Fire 3

This is probably my intense distrust of Trump speaking up, but...

The Dems decided as a group to invite undocumented immigrants and others affected by Tump's policies.

I wonder if he caught wind of that and announced his "desire" for immigration reform as a way to go into CYA mode and try to mitigate the embarrassment there.

Don't get me wrong, I'd welcome it fervently if it actually came to pass. But such a policy is in direct contradiction to the beliefs of almost everyone he's surrounded himself with, his hardline base, and the far-right wing of the GOP, which is who his policies have most appealed to so far.

At this point I'd eat a hat if it actually got done.

I think this is the more relevant headline, especially when it comes to demonstrable commitment to policy: WaPo: Trump's "Muslim ban" is about to make a comeback.

As the Los Angeles Times reports today:

Behind President Trump’s efforts to step up deportations and block travel from seven mostly Muslim countries lies a goal that reaches far beyond any immediate terrorism threat: a desire to reshape American demographics for the long term and keep out people who Trump and senior aides believe will not assimilate…

U.S. demographics have been changing rapidly — and undesirably in the eyes of top Trump aides, including his chief strategist, Stephen K. Bannon, and domestic policy advisor Stephen Miller.

(...)The two men see the country’s long-term security and wage growth entwined with reducing the number of foreign-born people allowed to visit, immigrate and work in the U.S.

And so, for Miller and Bannon, the rationale for the ban is rooted in something much broader — a combined longer-term demographic reshaping project designed to protect American workers from foreign competition and prevent European-style immigrant communities (which are seen as potential incubators of terror attacks) from developing in the United States. Miller’s comments in the Bloomberg article are broadly consistent with this. (The travel ban is temporary, but it’s easy to see it getting expanded and prolonged in the event of a terror attack, and moreover, another tacit goal here could be to discourage certain types of emigration to the U.S.)

This has nothing to do with keeping this nation of immigrants the greatest on earth, and everything to do with the thin-skinned and prejudicial fears that always become the less proud moments in our history.

A software engineer was detained by U.S. Customs — and given a test to prove he’s an engineer. Welcome to America.

“Your visa says you are a software engineer. Is that correct?” the officer asked Omin in a tone the engineer described as accusatory. When Omin said it was right, the officer presented him with a piece of paper and a pen and told him to answer the following questions:

“Write a function to check if a Binary Search Tree is balanced.”

“What is an abstract class, and why do you need it?”

To Omin — who now hadn’t slept in more than 24 hours — the questions seemed opaque and could have multiple answers. While he is a skilled software engineer with more than seven years of experience, Omin later tells me that the questions looked to him like someone with no technical background Googled something like, “Questions to ask a software engineer.”

Absurd. What consequences for the customs officers who call their own shots like this? Nothing?...

This man is from Nigeria, which is not on the list of the seven countries no longer affected by the travel ban because of the stay.

Please do not be blind as to what is going on.

• Fire 4

Trump was going to sign the new ban today, but because of the positive reviews of his address last night he is delaying it "to let it breathe on its own".

So Trump and team attack judges for striking down the ban and tell them blood will be on their hands if an attack happens, but delays signing the new ban so he can keep getting positive reviews from a speech.

You can't make this stuff up...

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/trump-delays-travel-ban-order-235548

• Fire 6