Immigration Ban

1 minute ago, commando said:

i don't know about all the school shooters...but the grandfathers of school shooters (if we can call them that) from columbine both had fathers at home.   they were white middle class students with both parents at home.   if you want to spend the time to check out all the other school shooters and confirm or deny whether they had dads at home or not please do.  it was tougher than i thought to find out the status of those 2 fathers when i tried to find out how much truth their was to your claims.   lots of right wing sights pop up when i search for whether or not the school shooters come from fatherless homes.   but nothing else.   i had to search through the histories of those 2 idiots to find out their parents were both there.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/2018/02/27/of_27_deadliest_mass_shooters_26_of_them_were_fatherless_435596.html

As noted by University of Virginia Professor Brad Wilcox in 2013, "nearly every shooting over the last year in Wikipedia’s ‘list of U.S. school attacks’ involved a young man whose parents divorced or never married in the first place.” Additionally, a study on older male shooters found similar connections to growing up fatherless.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/27586/fatherlessness-amanda-prestigiacomo

Among the 25 most-cited school shooters since Columbine, 75 percent were reared in broken homes. Psychologist Dr. Peter Langman, a pre-eminent expert on school shooters, found that most came from incredibly broken homes of not just divorce and separation, but also infidelity, substance abuse, criminal behavior, domestic violence, and child abuse.

After the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre, scholar Brad Wilcox called attention to the work of criminologists Michael Gottfredson and Travis Hirschi, which found the absence of fathers to be one of the “most powerful predictors of crimes .” He explained that fathers are role models for their sons who maintain authority and discipline, thereby helping them develop self-control and empathy toward others, key character traits lacking in violent youth.

The late rapper Tupac Shakur said, “I know for a fact that had I had a father, I’d have some discipline. I’d have more confidence. Your mother can’t calm you down the way a man can. You need a man to teach you how to be a man.” Shakur, who was murdered in 1996, started hanging out with gangs because he wanted to belong to a family.

https://www.heritage.org/marriage-and-family/commentary/the-crisis-fatherless-shooters

9 minutes ago, commando said:

ok....both are right wing sights.    not sure how much more trustworthy they are than rush and fox news opinions.

Left wing sites aren’t anxious to do actual research highlighting leftwing policy failures. They would rather simply call for gun bans and champion the opinions of clueless high school kids. 

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Left wing sites aren’t anxious to do actual research highlighting leftwing policy failures. They would rather simply call for gun bans and champion the opinions of clueless high school kids. 

those kids are a lot less clueless than you or i are about what it's like to be on the receiving end of gunfire in their own school.

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, commando said:

those kids are a lot less clueless than you or i are about what it's like to be on the receiving end of gunfire in their own school.

And?? The experience of living through a school shooting doesn’t make a 17 year old kid an expert on gun policy or any other public policy. Pretending otherwise is foolish.

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

And?? The experience of living through a school shooting doesn’t make a 17 year old kid an expert on gun policy or any other public policy. Pretending otherwise is foolish.

and to dismiss them and their ideas is even more foolish.  

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Neither does being 50 and only reading a few articles from a news outlet of choice.....which seems to cover a lot of the people I run into. These kids are just as entitled to an opinion as you or I. If you don't agree, that's fine; join the club with millions of others.  But my issue is people demeaning these kids and calling them clueless. I'm confident that they have compiled more knowledge on gun policy than most adults.

• Plus1 3
2 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Neither does being 50 and only reading a few articles from a news outlet of choice.....which seems to cover a lot of the people I run into. These kids are just as entitled to an opinion as you or I. If you don't agree, that's fine; join the club with millions of others.  But my issue is people demeaning these kids and calling them clueless. I'm confident that they have compiled more knowledge on gun policy than most adults.

The kids are the future. All of the babyboomers and older generation can fight tooth and nail for gun rights bit the truth is in 50 years the laws surrounding guns will chamge because the younger generation wants it. When you look around the world at other first world countries that don't have to deal with a gun culture problem its easy to see why the public majority wants some form of gun control and specifically the kids are fighting so hard for it. Gun control can make a difference.

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

So they cherry-picked the data of, and I quote, "nearly every shooting over the last year in Wikipedia’s ‘list of U.S. school attacks’" and "Among the 25 most-cited school shooters since Columbine". I'm not seeing any real studies that look at all the shootings or otherwise attempt to account for all the data.

4 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

The kids are the future. All of the babyboomers and older generation can fight tooth and nail for gun rights bit the truth is in 50 years the laws surrounding guns will chamge because the younger generation wants it. When you look around the world at other first world countries that don't have to deal with a gun culture problem its easy to see why the public majority wants some form of gun control and specifically the kids are fighting so hard for it. Gun control can make a difference.

I'd like to add that, because of the stance that the NRA and the far right take on this (digging their heels in) it's going to go a lot more towards gun bans then it is middle ground reforms.  The NRA could have taken any one of these mass shootings as an opportunity to help craft legislation to close loopholes and increase background checks which are reasonable reforms, but my guess is they know from their own data or something that will not be enough to stop many attacks and they enjoy rolling around in money Scrooge McDuck style being thrown at them by "outraged" gun owners and foreign governments that think "we don't have to kill american's they'll do it for us, cheaper."

Edited by methodical

5 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Here’s an idea. 

Find actual news articles that aren’t on right wing or left wing sites  

• Plus1 1
25 minutes ago, methodical said:

I'd like to add that, because of the stance that the NRA and the far right take on this (digging their heels in) it's going to go a lot more towards gun bans then it is middle ground reforms.  The NRA could have taken any one of these mass shootings as an opportunity to help craft legislation to close loopholes and increase background checks which are reasonable reforms, but my guess is they know from their own data or something that will not be enough to stop many attacks and they enjoy rolling around in money Scrooge McDuck style being thrown at them by "outraged" gun owners and foreign governments that think "we don't have to kill american's they'll do it for us, cheaper."

I’ve said all along that the NRA and gun industry needs to be involved with finding a solution or one will be found for them....and they aren’t going to like it. 

• Plus1 2

I've found it interesting, upon learning more that this "caravan" that folks are going crazy about right now is actually an annual trip.  That they travel in a group for safety and that they peel off at various cities along the way.  The number actually shooting to make it to the US is ~500 or less.  

Funny how this wasn't an issue (that I recall anyway) last year.  Guess maybe it's a good time for a distraction from personal issues here with leadership right now ... 

• Plus1 3
On 4/6/2018 at 7:40 PM, Ric Flair said:

The Founders made clear they wanted Americans to have the right to own firearms. They never conceived we would have a third world failed state on our border, whose residents would sneak across and have children in an attempt to stay here. If they had, resident citizenship wouldn’t have made it into the Constitution...or at a minimum, would have had qualifiers. But the residents never could have conceived that liberals would turn America into a massive welfare state, making it such an attractive destination for the poor, lazy, etc.

@Ric FlairA Little History Lesson

The United States was BUILT on immigration.  The very inscription on the Statue of Liberty states the core principles of the USA.  

And just for the record, white people (our ancestors) STOLE this land from the native people who previously lived here.  This is not liberal fantasy, this is historical fact.  If you steal something, it does not matter how long you possess it...it is never yours.

I have tried to give you the benefit of the doubt and thus far all you've shown me is racism and bigotry.  Please do not go for the trifecta of racism, bigotry, and homophobia.

• Plus1 1