Immigration Ban

"They don't want the wall, but we're going to get the wall, even if we have to think about closing up the country for a while," Trump said. "We're going to get the wall. We have no choice. We have absolutely no choice. And we're going to get tremendous security in our country."

"And we may have to close up our country to get this straight, because we either have a country or we don't. And you can't allow people to pour into our country the way they're doing."

I see dumb people.

• Plus1 1
On 4/16/2018 at 12:12 PM, BigRedBuster said:

Oooooh......this is going to hurt the ego.

The President, even one as incompetent as Trump, is still Commander-In-Chief, which means if he gives the order to the California National Guard to deploy and help "build the wall" they absolutely must comply as it is a lawful order (not ethical perhaps, but that is a separate discussion).

30 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

The President, even one as incompetent as Trump, is still Commander-In-Chief, which means if he gives the order to the California National Guard to deploy and help "build the wall" they absolutely must comply as it is a lawful order (not ethical perhaps, but that is a separate discussion).

No....I believe the President can not deploy military in a state without the state’s permission. 

This is was part of why some of the criticism of Bush after Katrina was miss placed. 

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

No....I believe the President can not deploy military in a state without the state’s permission. 

This is was part of why some of the criticism of Bush after Katrina was miss placed. 

I guess you're you're half to two-thirds correct.  Deploy The National Guard

The govenors of states can refuse to mobilize the National Guard.  However, there are exceptions and work arounds.

I always thought (half incorrectly) that since the National Guard was an extension of the US Military, that they fell under the jurisdiction of the Executive Branch.

Edit Clarification: I knew the military was forbidden, by law, to engage in basically is police work on US soil.

21 minutes ago, commando said:

i can't listen to the weasel for 20 minutes.   care to summarize what he said and why you think it's either good or bad?

“If you cross the Southwest border unlawfully, then we will prosecute you,” Sessions said, according to a transcript of his remarks. “If you smuggle illegal aliens across our border, then we will prosecute you. If you are smuggling a child, then we will prosecute you and that child will be separated from you as required by law. If you don’t like that, then don’t smuggle children over our border.”

“Eleven million people are already here illegally,” Sessions said in his speech. “That’s more than the population of the state of Georgia. ... We’re not going to stand for this. We are not going to let this country be invaded. We will not be stampeded. We will not capitulate to lawlessness.”

3 hours ago, GM_Tood said:

“If you cross the Southwest border unlawfully, then we will prosecute you,” Sessions said, according to a transcript of his remarks. “If you smuggle illegal aliens across our border, then we will prosecute you. If you are smuggling a child, then we will prosecute you and that child will be separated from you as required by law. If you don’t like that, then don’t smuggle children over our border.”

“Eleven million people are already here illegally,” Sessions said in his speech. “That’s more than the population of the state of Georgia. ... We’re not going to stand for this. We are not going to let this country be invaded. We will not be stampeded. We will not capitulate to lawlessness.”

Honestly, I don’t have a huge problem with that quote other than separating kids from parents. 

10 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Honestly, I don’t have a huge problem with that quote other than separating kids from parents. 

Agreed.  It's kind of like saying, "if you don't like getting your hands chopped off, then don't steal that candy bar!"

I do wish we could stop the politics and actually address the issue of making it easier for people to become citizens so they don't feel the need to come illegally.

• Plus1 5
1 hour ago, funhusker said:

Agreed.  It's kind of like saying, "if you don't like getting your hands chopped off, then don't steal that candy bar!"

I do wish we could stop the politics and actually address the issue of making it easier for people to become citizens so they don't feel the need to come illegally.

That's what's frustrating about someone like Sessions. For all his zeal about enforcing immigration law, that's going to be the extent of his involvement. He doesn't even view the bolded as an issue. He didn't advocate improving the immigration system as a Senator and he's not going to now. He's an old school law-and-order type that only wants to carry a big stick & use it, because that's what's considered appropriate within the circles he runs in.

Sustained efforts to displace people who think like Sessions with those who view improving the immigration system as an important task from Congress is the only way the immigration system gets better.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, funhusker said:

3 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

That's what's frustrating about someone like Sessions. For all his zeal about enforcing immigration law, that's going to be the extent of his involvement. He doesn't even view the bolded as an issue. He didn't advocate improving the immigration system as a Senator and he's not going to now. He's an old school law-and-order type that only wants to carry a big stick & use it, because that's what's considered appropriate within the circles he runs in.

Sustained efforts to displace people who think like Sessions with those who view improving the immigration system as an important task from Congress is the only way the immigration system gets better.

All this when our economy is needing workers.

Sure....makes sense to kick people out of the country that want to work.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

All this when our economy is needing workers.

Sure....makes sense to kick people out of the country that want to work.

Seems like another one of those situations where politics wins out over good policy. Obviously Trump's anti-immigrant base is going to love it such moves.

Here's a story from last week stating they're getting ready to send 57,000 Hondurans home.

Not only is it morally wrong to cast out good members of society, it's going to hurt the economy. Once again, the Trump immigration doctrine sucks.

• Plus1 2