The Environment

3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Is that true?  out of the next 10 days or so it looks like only one day is over 82...(Sydney, that is)  

I guess I always thought it was much warmer in most parts of Australia.  I have never been but I would love to go visit.

If you just keep the numbers in Celcius, it doesn't seem so bad:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/jan/24/australia-heatwave-adelaide-breaks-its-all-time-heat-record-hitting-466c

5 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I think it'll happen when it's more efficient and profitable to do so.

Many major corporations are making a company-wide shift to renewable energy and green practices that includes both an outlay of money and marginally higher initial operating expenses. i.e. not "profitable."

The reasons for doing this:

1) Good PR

2) A genuine desire to use power and influence for the greater good

3) It could very likely be more profitable in the long run -- in any number of ways

24 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Many major corporations are making a company-wide shift to renewable energy and green practices that includes both an outlay of money and marginally higher initial operating expenses. i.e. not "profitable."

The reasons for doing this:

1) Good PR

2) A genuine desire to use power and influence for the greater good

3) It could very likely be more profitable in the long run -- in any number of ways

Interesting to know.

Perhaps corporate America is more about goodwill and less concerned with short range profits than I realized?

• Haha 1
38 minutes ago, teachercd said:

It is funny...it is okay to laugh even when someone you hate makes a joke.  Reagan roasts him and he can still laugh at it.  

The problem is:

a) I don’t know if he really intends it as a joke, since I think he might think a few days of cold weather is actually real evidence that the whole thing is a hoax.

b) He says something like this every time it’s really cold, and repeated jokes are less funny. 

8 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

The problem is:

a) I don’t know if he really intends it as a joke, since I think he might think a few days of cold weather is actually real evidence that the whole thing is a hoax.

b) He says something like this every time it’s really cold, and repeated jokes are less funny. 

The repeated joke can get less funny that is true...There is always a fine line with that.  I think that is why so many SNL skits that turned into movies struggled.  

32 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Interesting to know.

Perhaps corporate America is more about goodwill and less concerned with short range profits than I realized?

Some are. Some aren't. Some are jumping on the green bandwagon because the pressure to show "corporate responsibility" also reflects on stakeholders and shareholders (i.e. future profits). Smart companies are always willing to play the long game. 

None of which should surprise you in the least.

If it makes you feel any better, not enough companies are doing enough to make much of a difference, and all will remain profitable despite the slightly less profitable green initiatives.

9 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Well there was this douchebag who threw a snowball on the Senate floor. The same guy the Republicans chose to head the Environment and Public Works Committee.

So if Trump's Tweet is funny, this guy is Gallagher!

Great reply in the comments:

”Breaking news. World hunger is over because I ate today.”

I am tired of having the country run by imbeciles. More scientists need to run for office and more voters need to vote for nerdy scientists who suck at public speaking. And some people need better self awareness of when they’re not smart enough to understand something. The guy above either has that problem or he is getting paid by someone. 

Occam’s razor says climate science experts aren’t all in on the same conspiracy to trick us.

• Plus1 2
21 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I am tired of having the country run by imbeciles. More scientists need to run for office and more voters need to vote for nerdy scientists who suck at public speaking. And some people need better self awareness of when they’re not smart enough to understand something. The guy above either has that problem or he is getting paid by someone. 

I couldn't agree more. I'm grateful that Obama brought in several accomplished scientists as part of his administration (Secretary of Energy Ernest Moniz, Senior Advisor John Holdren, etc.), but those people don't create legislation. We need more science-y people writing the laws.