The Environment

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2019 at 7:35 PM, BigRedBuster said:

From the VOX article:

I’ve been tracking their progress. In January, I wrote about their initial finding, that Colorado could save $2.5 billion through 2040 by shutting down all its coal plants. In August, I wrote about the second paper, which found that electrifying the state’s transportation fleet is the single biggest decarbonization step it could take and would save consumers money.

If you're fiscally conservative, then you should be in favor of these measures just on economic grounds alone.

• Plus1 2

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, commando said:

while we are "making coal great again" the rest of the world is thinking up stuff like this

Well you know, the green new deal, which puts money into research like this is communism. We cant have that in this country now can we?

We are going to lose out on so much money from being the world leader in this type of research because we cant even agree if climate change is real. Sad!

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...

On 11/11/2019 at 11:22 AM, RedDenver said:

Well, you're like reasonable and stuff. I'm curious how many that call themselves fiscally conservative won't support this even though it's clearly the fiscally conservative choice.

Depends what you mean by "support." If you mean that the government mandates the shutdown of coal plants, then no. If you mean putting incentives in place to encourage a faster transition to zero emission energy, then yes. If the economics make sense, then energy companies will make this transition on their own without being mandated. 

3 hours ago, ActualCornHusker said:

Depends what you mean by "support." If you mean that the government mandates the shutdown of coal plants, then no. If you mean putting incentives in place to encourage a faster transition to zero emission energy, then yes. If the economics make sense, then energy companies will make this transition on their own without being mandated. 

That was a reasonable plan 10+ years ago. There isn't enough time to wait for energy companies to decide not to destroy the planet or for the economics to work themselves out.

Actually, it might be too late already to avoid, and now we're in a race to minimize the worst of the damage:

Climate emergency: world 'may have crossed tipping points’

And we're actually accelerating climate change

Climate Change Is Accelerating

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

That was a reasonable plan 10+ years ago. There isn't enough time to wait for energy companies to decide not to destroy the planet or for the economics to work themselves out.

Actually, it might be too late already to avoid, and now we're in a race to minimize the worst of the damage:

Climate emergency: world 'may have crossed tipping points’

And we're actually accelerating climate change

Climate Change Is Accelerating

Yeah... I suppose if you subscribe to climate doomsday dogma then that's true... 

You also have to consider that as the technology currently stands in regards to wind and solar, they require backup power sources for when there's no wind or sun, respectively. We currently do not have the technology to store excess power generated by these systems.

30 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

Yeah... I suppose if you subscribe to climate doomsday dogma then that's true... 

You also have to consider that as the technology currently stands in regards to wind and solar, they require backup power sources for when there's no wind or sun, respectively. We currently do not have the technology to store excess power generated by these systems.

Uh... There are technologies available to store it with and people are coming up with new and more innovative ways every day. It may not be entirely economical right now, but just like electric car battery packs the prices will come down as the parent technology becomes more prevalent and people see the market growing.