The Environment

Unsure if this is the best home for this, but the wildfires have had me thinking about this for several days now. The world becoming hotter and drier is certainly not helping to prevent massive wildfires, but our persistent attempts (as people) to completely prevent forest fires from happening is causing as much harm as anything else.

Forest fires are a natural and even healthy action in an eco system. They help replenish nutrients and clear out dead material, making way for new life and new growth. We obviously don't want to start walking around the world tossing matches on forest floors, but there has to be some sort of controlled method of managing 'good fires' to try and stave off of what we see with these mega fires.

• Fire 1

This intrigues me. This is one of the major business lobbying groups in Washington. They are coming out as for "market-based mechanism" to climate change. They also announced they would like to see a carbon tax or cap & trade system implemented as market friendly environmental policies.

Will want to see if this is just posturing or they will actually follow through on it.

12 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

This intrigues me. This is one of the major business lobbying groups in Washington. They are coming out as for "market-based mechanism" to climate change. They also announced they would like to see a carbon tax or cap & trade system implemented as market friendly environmental policies.

Will want to see if this is just posturing or they will actually follow through on it.

Problem is that market solutions like carbon tax or cap and trade might have been viable 10+ years ago but will take too long now. I think announcements like these are just stalling for time.

10 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Problem is that market solutions like carbon tax or cap and trade might have been viable 10+ years ago but will take too long now. I think announcements like these are just stalling for time.

I guess I'll take it.

Some progress is still better than no progress. I'd rather have business groups meeting us halfway than burying their heads in the sand on the matter.

2 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

I guess I'll take it.

Some progress is still better than no progress. I'd rather have business groups meeting us halfway than burying their heads in the sand on the matter.

I think it's going to take government action to force businesses to do enough, so I don't think the halfway or none matters anymore.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/09/16/world/un-biodiversity-report-intl-hnk-scli-scn/index.html?utm_medium=social&utm_term=link&utm_source=twCNNi&utm_content=2020-09-16T16%3A46%3A08

In 2010, leaders from 196 countries gathered in Japan and agreed on a list of goals designed to save the Earth.

We've reached the deadline -- and the world has collectively failed to fully achieve a single goal, according to the United Nations' Global Biodiversity Outlook report, published on Tuesday.

• Thanks 1

You had my interest until I saw the 'February 2013' mark at the bottom.

We're going to be flying or driving forever here. Amtrak is a joke if you don't live in the northeast. I can't for the life of me understand why anyone elsewhere would use it. I just looked at a trip to NYC and it cost the same as flying but is a 30+ hour trip.

• Plus1 1