The Environment

Interesting article -  shows how wind and solar are driving down prices and have become less costly than hydro power in the Snake River watershed.  As a result, a GOP congressman has proposed tearing down the  dams on the Snake River and renewing the environment so that salmon in the river could once again have a natural environment to reproduce and thrive.   With his proposals, he sees a win for the salmon, for the local economy, the farmers in the area and also for the utility that manages the dam

https://www.yahoo.com/news/op-ed-listen-republican-says-110729811.html

• Plus1 2

17 hours ago, Scarlet said:

And still snowing!!

Yeah I know one event doesn't prove anything but damn how many records are we going to see before it starts to click with the science deniers?  No, no there's no climate change

Watching the news this morning, I said to my wife, "Crap, it's going to be another summer of crazy s#!tty weather."

17 hours ago, Scarlet said:
how many records are we going to see before it starts to click with the science deniers?  No, no there's no climate change

I don't know of anyone that says the climate isn't constantly changing. (Note how it used to be called Global Warming...but that has morphed into Climate Change) 

The only disagreement, as I see it, is the amount that human activity has influenced that change. And, I have seen compelling arguments for both sides. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
57 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I don't know of anyone that says the climate isn't constantly changing. (Note how it used to be called Global Warming...but that has morphed into Climate Change) 

The only disagreement, as I see it, is the amount that human activity has influenced that change. And, I have seen compelling arguments for both sides. 

It's almost entirely driven by human activity. And the few compelling argument that it's not human driven have been pretty thoroughly debunked at this point.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

I am interested in seeing a compelling argument that global warming isn't driven by human activity. 

3 hours ago, RedDenver said:

It's almost entirely driven by human activity. And the few compelling argument that it's not human driven have been pretty thoroughly debunked at this point.

You are correct. Badly worded on my part. My inference was disagreement regarding what the changes (from human activity) will produce for results and how dire the results will be. 

Just now, DevoHusker said:

You are correct. Badly worded on my part. My inference was disagreement regarding what the changes (from human activity) will produce for results and how dire the results will be. 

Yes, there's much less agreement on the consequences and the timeline of those consequences.

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

I mean we already knew this, but wow, Florida is SCREWED.

1) Really interesting information

2) That's one of the most kick a$$ article/web designs I've ever experienced. I love how part of the page stays stationary as you scroll through.

• Plus1 2
20 minutes ago, Enhance said:

1) Really interesting information

2) That's one of the most kick a$$ article/web designs I've ever experienced. I love how part of the page stays stationary as you scroll through.

I've come across a few stories that use a similar design before and it always works so well for conveying information visually. You really wonder why it isn't more widely utilized.