The Environment

14 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

This is a major achievement for physics, but people need to realize that it's unlikely that the NIF method can be modified to produce sustained reactions and therefore energy. Somebody might figure it out, but we're still probably decades away from having fusion power from this breakthrough.

That's why most of us have said it probably won't be in our lifetimes.  But, I actually never thought they would get to this point even.

36 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

This is a major achievement for physics, but people need to realize that it's unlikely that the NIF method can be modified to produce sustained reactions and therefore energy. Somebody might figure it out, but we're still probably decades away from having fusion power from this breakthrough.

Never happen, ExxonMobile, BP, and Chevron probably already bought out the patent, burned the recipe and unalived all involved. This will go down in history with all the announcements that a new engine was developed to replace the internal combustion engine. 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

That's why most of us have said it probably won't be in our lifetimes.  But, I actually never thought they would get to this point even.

Game changer when it happens, though. Environmentally clean, cheap and abundant. This is where we should invest the research money versus other alternatives that all have drawbacks. 

30 minutes ago, nic said:

Game changer when it happens, though. Environmentally clean, cheap and abundant. This is where we should invest the research money versus other alternatives that all have drawbacks. 

Somewhat disagree.

They have said this technology is still a number of decades away.  We need alternatives till that happens.....if it ever happens.  

I'm a firm believer that we need to keep developing many different forms of power.  Yes, all the other forms have their drawbacks. But, they all have their positives too.  Use all of them when appropriate.  For instance, I dream of a day when my house is solar and the technology has advanced even farther to make it even more efficient.  Then, have an electric car to where I'm not paying for power for my car when charged at home.

Then, maybe 50 years from now, when this fusion technology has advanced enough, it can take over for the public power supplies around the world.

• Plus1 2
54 minutes ago, nic said:

Even fusion is not without drawbacks as there are different types of fusion reactions and source materials that have different levels of radioactivity and toxicity.

I'm in favor of a reaction known as p-B (proton - boron fusion) as it's aneutronic and  has shorter radioactive decay times on the order of hours for the reaction products. It has higher energy requirements to initiate fusion though as compared to deuterium-tritium fusion. Here's an article summarizing p-B and the main difficulties: https://fusionandthings.eu/2019/06/05/new-calculations-show-proton-boron-fusion-is-still-difficult/

And a small company I've been following for a long time that's pursuing this approach: https://www.lppfusion.com/

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Somewhat disagree.

They have said this technology is still a number of decades away.  We need alternatives till that happens.....if it ever happens.  

I'm a firm believer that we need to keep developing many different forms of power.  Yes, all the other forms have their drawbacks. But, they all have their positives too.  Use all of them when appropriate.  For instance, I dream of a day when my house is solar and the technology has advanced even farther to make it even more efficient.  Then, have an electric car to where I'm not paying for power for my car when charged at home.

Then, maybe 50 years from now, when this fusion technology has advanced enough, it can take over for the public power supplies around the world.

I didn’t mean to imply we abandoned everything else immediately, but if this looks viable fire the money canon and soon. I am sure there is a lot of fat to free  up in gov spending. 

• 4 weeks later...

1 hour ago, commando said:

i remenber that.   at the time politicians actually listened to scientist.

I mean, face it, if hair bands were still super popular...the ozone layer would be totally gone.  

Motley Crue did more damage to the ozone than they did to hotel rooms. 

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I wonder how AlGore squares his $300 million fortune, beach house (on the water) apt on the beach, made from demonizing fossil fuels, with the developing nations who rely on those cheap sources of energy for their livelihoods.  

If he was a true believer, Why wouldn’t he go down to just one mansion, fly commercial, not be employed by Apple of all companies, etc and live by his money scheming talk??  Probably because it doesn’t pay him as well as his current grift.  

• TBH 2