The Environment

I think wind turbines look cool. It's neat to see them out functioning, and it's neat to see the giant pieces going down the highway. They manufacture them somewhere in Iowa and I see them coming down I-80 all the time.

Sure, some people don't like the way they look, but most of the politicians who get upset about wind farms seem to have interests in coal. Not a coincidence.

• Fire 3

The House passed a resolution, 228-194, that would repeal the "Stream Protection Rule," a measure issued recently that barred mining companies from putting any of their waste in local waterways.

And how does this help us?

It doesn't. I'm not sure why Republicans hate the environment so much. I would've thought they'd do everything in their power to protect God's creation.

• Fire 1

The House passed a resolution, 228-194, that would repeal the "Stream Protection Rule," a measure issued recently that barred mining companies from putting any of their waste in local waterways.

It doesn't. I'm not sure why Republicans hate the environment so much. I would've thought they'd do everything in their power to protect God's creation.

This was a long time ago and just a random person but one of my mom's Christian friends told her we shouldn't worry about global warming because God will fix it if he wants and Christians are going to heaven anyway.

• Fire 1

This was a long time ago and just a random person but one of my mom's Christian friends told her we shouldn't worry about global warming because God will fix it if he wants and Christians are going to heaven anyway.

She's not the only one with those sentiments

"Congressman says God will save us from climate change."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/us-politics/8123790/Congressman-says-God-will-save-us-from-climate-change.html

• Fire 1

I think wind turbines look cool. It's neat to see them out functioning, and it's neat to see the giant pieces going down the highway. They manufacture them somewhere in Iowa and I see them coming down I-80 all the time.

Sure, some people don't like the way they look, but most of the politicians who get upset about wind farms seem to have interests in coal. Not a coincidence.

I agree, they look cool, they are cool, but I would love for there to be a real initiative to replace these blades. There is enough evidence to have real pause and concern about birds, bats, and marine life to at least attempt something new before Wind Farms go any larger in scale than they already are -not that Trump is going to help that.

If the blade-free systems are as good as they seem, and can be improved upon, then they should be implemented going forward.

• Fire 1

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/us-politics/8123790/Congressman-says-God-will-save-us-from-climate-change.html

So it's one part that, and one part the fact trees and streams aren't funding reelection... wealthy pro-business interests are.

I'm curious to see what Perry will do. Hoping he makes a push towards implementing the safer blade-free turbines Oade talked about, or push for more solar or even optimizing our nuclear energy capabilities.

What would tick me off is status quo with a reversion back to heavy reliance on oil/gas and forcing coal upon us.

• Fire 3

I agree, they look cool, they are cool, but I would love for there to be a real initiative to replace these blades. There is enough evidence to have real pause and concern about birds, bats, and marine life to at least attempt something new before Wind Farms go any larger in scale than they already are -not that Trump is going to help that.

If the blade-free systems are as good as they seem, and can be improved upon, then they should be implemented going forward.

Absolutely. I'm not sure about the environmental impact of those blades, but if there's something better that is less damaging to the environment, I'm all for it. Anything is better than fossil fuels dumping greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere.

• Fire 1

So it's one part that, and one part the fact trees and streams aren't funding reelection... wealthy pro-business interests are.

I think it's pretty much only that. GOP snows the rubes pretty well by using the ol' holy book for whatever part of their agenda they want.

• Fire 2

Absolutely. I'm not sure about the environmental impact of those blades, but if there's something better that is less damaging to the environment, I'm all for it. Anything is better than fossil fuels dumping greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere.

The blades are estimated to kill between 200,000 and 375,000 birds per year, and an equal number of bats - in the US alone. I think the number is estimated at 700,000 birds world wide per year. Furthermore, Wind-farms are exempt from the same penalties you and I are subject to for killing bald eagles - there are restrictions put in place if said companies can't curtail the killings within a 5 year period though..... Also the bigger and under researched issue in my eyes, is of how the actual posts/towers effect ocean currents, whale & fishing migrations, coral developments, and hearing-damage during construction. -- A floating buoy-system would be ideal if possible.

In regards to Trumps tweet, I hope it means he intends to undo part of the law Obama signed that protects wind-farms when they kill bald eagles. They should be held accountable no different from if you or I had a private wind-generator at home and killed a bald eagle.

However, without knowing more about the in's and outs of the law than I do, I hope that's the only thing he changes about Obama's wind-farm policy.

• Fire 1

What blade-free system are you talking about? I'm aware of no wind-driven system that is even close to the 3-blade standard wind turbine.

• Fire 1