The Environment

To expand on this, the Coal Industry employs 77,000 people. That's a pittance and absolutely not relevant to America's needs.

The entire coal industry employs fewer people than Arby’s

“My action today is the latest in a series of steps to create American jobs and to grow American wealth,” President Trump said earlier this week before a group of coal miners.

Trump was announcing the rollback of several Obama-era environmental regulations that would have affected industries such as coal mining. Trump has repeatedly claimed that over-regulation has led to a decline in coal-industry jobs.

“I made them this promise,” Trump said at the signing. “We will put our miners back to work.”

Experts in the industry have already pointed out, repeatedly, that the coal jobs are extremely unlikely to come back. The plight of the coal industry is more a function of changing energy markets and increased demand for natural gas than anything else.

Looking at the level of individual businesses, the coal industry in 2014 (76,572) employed about as many as Whole Foods (72,650), and fewer workers than Arby's (close to 80,000), Dollar General (105,000) or J.C. Penney (114,000). The country's largest private employer, Walmart (2.2 million employees) provides roughly 28 times as many jobs as coal.

Everytime someone posts about saving coal jobs I want to post this.

How much do you think the coal lobby spends annually? Has to be astronomical.

Sorry if already posted

Even the Kentucky Coal Museum is going solar

BENHAM, Ky. —Inside the Kentucky Coal Museum, visitors can peruse plenty of memorabilia on mining and the commonwealth's coal camps. But on the roof, they'll find a display dedicated to an unexpected industry: Solar power.

In a cost-saving move, this museum in eastern Kentucky is embracing the sun as a source of affordable energy and installing approximately 80 solar panels on its roof.

• Fire 1

Yes zoogs, it gets very old living in Trump's America if you're not in his base. I feel like they're losing, too; they just don't know it yet. They get to toot their horns because they like the guy. More power to them. I preferred literally any other president in my life time that felt like it was their duty to represent all Americans instead of just their supporters.

Paul Ryan's statement makes me want to barf. I'm so tired of meaningless buzzwords. "Bad deal", "unleash the economy", "bad for workers." It's just a lazy emotional ploy.

The way I heard it, McConnell and another group of GOP senators from red states were the ones that pushed Trump to do this, in addition to Bannon and Priebus. The GOP is most certainly happy about this.

History will not smile on this day.

Oh, and world leaders actually staying in the agreement don't seem too eager to let Trump "renegotiate":

• Fire 1

I've personally met Christians who say the same thing. That God will take care of it. This ignores the fact there are dozens of verses about humans taking care of the earth and its creatures.

Also, has he read revelation?

Last but not least, since when does God make sure nothing bad happens?

Came to post what you said in your first line. It's important. God helps those who help themselves.

It's why I'll never understand people who forego modern medicine due to religious considerations. If there is a God, would he not bless us with incredibly advanced medical techniques and procedures to help us maintain or improve our health? What's the sense in turning them down?

The climate change implications are that Christians shouldn't just sit around in a passive role and assume somehow God is just going to magically fix the problem. He could give us tons of brilliant scientists who almost unanimously agree on the fact that climate change is real. Why shouldn't we listen to them and instead just sit on our hands? In my opinion, it's just a way to mitigate bad feelings about inaction. Inaction is tragically short-sighted and inexcusable at this juncture.

Maybe it was this woman from Fox News. She says Trump called her this morning to discuss the climate deal, taxes, etc.

Could it be any more obvious he's a figurehead?

Vox with a takedown asserting Trump quite honestly has no idea about anything he's doing at any given time.

An incredibly telling thing Trump said at today’s Paris event wasn’t about climate at all

Perhaps the most telling thing President Trump said in his rambling justification of his decision to pull out of the Paris accords on climate change wasn’t about climate change at all. It was, rather, about the speedy advance of his administration’s tax bill in the United States Congress.

The thing about this is there is, literally, no tax bill.

• No tax bill has been introduced to the US House of Representatives.
  • No tax bill has been introduced to the US Senate.
  • The White House has not released a tax plan that is detailed enough for experts to assess its economic or fiscal impact.

Indeed, just a week ago, Trump’s Office of Management and Budget Director Mick Mulvaney explained that what most experts saw as a $2 trillion accounting mistake in the White House budget was actually deliberate.

“It is and was too early to make any assumptions about what the final tax bill looks like," he told members of the House Budget Committee, and that’s why the proposal does not assume any fiscal cost of the tax legislation.

Trump has no idea what he’s talking about

This is, to me, the scariest aspect of Trump’s approach to issues like the Paris accords.

• Fire 1