The Environment

14 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

What model?

No reputable model is predicting that kind of change. I did find this study from Australia though: 

https://newsroom.unsw.edu.au/news/science-tech/sea-level-data-confirms-climate-modeling-projections-were-right

Furthermore, you can use this tool to approximate the flooding shown in @Archy1221's post. It shows that flooding depicted isnt likely until 2050 or 2060.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • 2 weeks later...

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

I don't think humanity is doomed, although it will be extremely harmful to people in third world countries. Economies at the local level - specifically agricultural industry - will have to adapt, even in first world areas.

Personally, I don't really care about what happens to people. They had a few decades notice to fix this issue and decided not to address it. I do, however, agree that there is a certain amount of doom for the environment and many species will go extinct because of this. 

Also, the quoted tweet is pretty stupid. Economic life devolving into the extreme income inequality and poverty of the 1950s isn't exactly a high bar to stay above. I don't think this is the "oWN tEh LiBZ" dunk the tweeter thinks it is, but it's pretty par for the course on climate-skeptic-twitter.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

4 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

SC really dragging the bottom of the barrel for bad decisions.

I would really like to know what the arguments were and reasoning for the decision.  This could have affects on other EPA regulations.  For Which, there have been some doozies come out lately that I wouldn't mind seeing do down this path.

44 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

SC really dragging the bottom of the barrel for bad decisions.

This makes sense.

The vote in the West Virginia v. EPA decision on Thursday was 6-3, with the Court’s three liberal members dissenting. In the majority opinion, Chief Justice John Roberts wrote that the EPA “must point to ‘clear congressional authorization’ for the power it claims.” He added, “Capping carbon dioxide emissions at a level that will force a nationwide transition away from the use of coal to generate electricity may be a sensible ‘solution to the crisis of the day, but it is not plausible that Congress gave EPA the authority to adopt on its own such a regulatory scheme.”