Riley and the Direction of the Program

Mavric

State of the Program  

124 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the TE's they pulled in with this class. We've been missing a giant TE that can go up and get balls in the red zone and on 3rd down. Hopefully we have a qb that can make those throws.

Yeah, our TE's are all like 6'6" + and the WRs he's bringing in are short(under 6'0") speedy guys. Personally, I prefer TALL speedy WRs, but I'm not complaining.

I'm cautiously optimistic moving forward. I still have reservations about Riley and his ability to win a championship, but he's making the right moves, recruiting well and shoring up deficiencies on the coaching staff. My hope is he's at the point now where they can really make some headway in 2017, because 2018 is going to be here real fast.

At Michigan

At Wisconsin

At Ohio State

Michigan State

At Iowa

Whoa, brutal! BTW, why do we play some of those East teams twice or more consecutively--e.g. tOSU--and others once--e.g. IN?

We get OSU and Wisc at home this next year since we were there last year. The 2018 schedule has us visiting again. I don't remember how the Michigan games worked since it's been a few years. The BIG 10 hasn't done us any favors in 18.

I'm cautiously optimistic moving forward. I still have reservations about Riley and his ability to win a championship, but he's making the right moves, recruiting well and shoring up deficiencies on the coaching staff. My hope is he's at the point now where they can really make some headway in 2017, because 2018 is going to be here real fast.

At Michigan

At Wisconsin

At Ohio State

Michigan State

At Iowa

Whoa, brutal! BTW, why do we play some of those East teams twice or more consecutively--e.g. tOSU--and others once--e.g. IN?

I think that scheduling stuff starts to become more regular starting in 2019 or 2020.

My biggest concern going forward is the length of stay for some of these new additions. I can't think Diaco's life long ambition is being the DC at Nebraska. On one hand, it's good if we see staff attrition because that generally means things are going good. However, it's also difficult to replace top coordinators. Saban fights this every year, and it pretty much cost him a NC this year. Meyer has been trying to find the replacement ever since Herman left. Bill Snyder has been faced with staff attrition ever since he took over at KState.

I was and still am a big fan of the hiring of Riley. I like the direction of the program and the people he's bringing in as either players or staff. However, I'm a little uneasy when looking five or so years into the future.

Diaco has already dabbled some as a HC, unsuccessfully, so maybe he has come to the realization that DCing is his true life's work and will stick around w us for a piece. Assuming he does well, of course.

As to Urban, I'm a bit surprised that he didn't offer Tim Beck the full OC position, because that's why Beck left, to become HERMAN's OC @ Texas. Beck wasn't good enough for NE Fan, of course.

Did Meyer even trust Beck enough at OSU to allow him to call plays? I'm sure if Urban wanted Beck to stay he could have made it happen.
Not sure what exactly Beck did @ OSU, he was there, gettin paid, they won a lot of games. If he didn't have to call plays I'd say he was livin' pretty large, lol!

This summarizes some of what went down and how the fan base viewed Beck.

One of the more troubling lines of the article relates back to their shutout loss to Clemson in the CFP:

Beck admitted the Buckeyes get stuck in their tendencies, like, oh, I don't know, running J.T. Barrett all the time. He said the offense needs to find an identity. He said there were too many inconsistencies in the passing game.

You can't be struggling to find offensive identity at that point in the season - the playoffs. But, as we all know, identity has been a concern around here for sometime and was under Beck, as well.

As to Beck and "identity", when, I ask, has Beck had a competant passing QB to work with over the past 10 yrs of his career? Martinez, Armstrong, Barrett, all more or less crappy passers, but all forte as rushers, but you can't run them to death cuz injuries, so yeah, "identity" issues.

I mean, ya gotta have a QB that can throw the damn ball. Shawn Watson, we fired him so he must be sh#t. Oh wait, has great O @ Louisville because of one Terry Bridgewater, remember that guy. Watson is great but he's not great because we fired him. Goes to Tejas and they hand him that Swoopes kid who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn w a sledge hammer if he was standin' right next to it. Watson has to take the fall. Oh wait, few yrs later they clear out the whole C. Strong Brigade because, for oneN they couldn't find a QB that could pass worth a bleep. QBs are very powerful people.

But you can't have this thing both ways. You can't say that Beck had zero input to the OC @ OSU and then try to hang the a loss around his neck.

And while I'm on my soapbox here, this thing with Banker, well it wasn't all on him. Our LBs and safeties, it was pretty obvious all along, weren't the greatest open field tacklers, not anything more than just servicable athletes. Bando was pretty bad his 1st 2 seasons, finally became respectable, Newby meh, Rose Ivey meh, etc. In that IA, if you watch the film on a few of those long runs, our guy was there, in the hole or taking the angle and basically got either bowled over on his ass or blown by. So you can't hang all the D woes on Banker. At some point you have to have some athletes. Last good LB we had was LaVonte David, since then its been meh.

Disappointed in 2015 for sure but liked the change at HC and the new attitude MR infused into the team. It did reveal coaching issues both past and present. 2016 ended poorly during the season but ultimately ended wt a huge uptick after the season wt the new DC and other coaching changes and also a solid recruiting class. We now also have 3 very good (if you are to believe the press reports and coach speak) QBs in the fold, good to exceptional skill players at WR, RB, FB and also on D with this class and the redshirts coming available. So, MR has shown the guts to make the hard decisions and I think that will pay out in the long term. The schedule during the next 2 years is more difficult but hopefully that sets us up for a title run by 2019 or sooner if the QBs and these 2 classes really shine.

My biggest concern going forward is the length of stay for some of these new additions. I can't think Diaco's life long ambition is being the DC at Nebraska. On one hand, it's good if we see staff attrition because that generally means things are going good. However, it's also difficult to replace top coordinators. Saban fights this every year, and it pretty much cost him a NC this year. Meyer has been trying to find the replacement ever since Herman left. Bill Snyder has been faced with staff attrition ever since he took over at KState.

I was and still am a big fan of the hiring of Riley. I like the direction of the program and the people he's bringing in as either players or staff. However, I'm a little uneasy when looking five or so years into the future.

Diaco has already dabbled some as a HC, unsuccessfully, so maybe he has come to the realization that DCing is his true life's work and will stick around w us for a piece. Assuming he does well, of course.

As to Urban, I'm a bit surprised that he didn't offer Tim Beck the full OC position, because that's why Beck left, to become HERMAN's OC @ Texas. Beck wasn't good enough for NE Fan, of course.

Is there any chance that Diaco is considering hanging around at NU for awhile, and then trying to take over for Riley once he steps down

Did Meyer even trust Beck enough at OSU to allow him to call plays? I'm sure if Urban wanted Beck to stay he could have made it happen.
Not sure what exactly Beck did @ OSU, he was there, gettin paid, they won a lot of games. If he didn't have to call plays I'd say he was livin' pretty large, lol!

One of the more troubling lines of the article relates back to their shutout loss to Clemson in the CFP:

Beck admitted the Buckeyes get stuck in their tendencies, like, oh, I don't know, running J.T. Barrett all the time. He said the offense needs to find an identity. He said there were too many inconsistencies in the passing game.

You can't be struggling to find offensive identity at that point in the season - the playoffs. But, as we all know, identity has been a concern around here for sometime and was under Beck, as well.

As to Beck and "identity", when, I ask, has Beck had a competant passing QB to work with over the past 10 yrs of his career? Martinez, Armstrong, Barrett, all more or less crappy passers, but all forte as rushers, but you can't run them to death cuz injuries, so yeah, "identity" issues.

I mean, ya gotta have a QB that can throw the damn ball. Shawn Watson, we fired him so he must be sh#t. Oh wait, has great O @ Louisville because of one Terry Bridgewater, remember that guy. Watson is great but he's not great because we fired him. Goes to Tejas and they hand him that Swoopes kid who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn w a sledge hammer if he was standin' right next to it. Watson has to take the fall. Oh wait, few yrs later they clear out the whole C. Strong Brigade because, for oneN they couldn't find a QB that could pass worth a bleep. QBs are very powerful people.

But you can't have this thing both ways. You can't say that Beck had zero input to the OC @ OSU and then try to hang the a loss around his neck.

And while I'm on my soapbox here, this thing with Banker, well it wasn't all on him. Our LBs and safeties, it was pretty obvious all along, weren't the greatest open field tacklers, not anything more than just servicable athletes. Bando was pretty bad his 1st 2 seasons, finally became respectable, Newby meh, Rose Ivey meh, etc. In that IA, if you watch the film on a few of those long runs, our guy was there, in the hole or taking the angle and basically got either bowled over on his ass or blown by. So you can't hang all the D woes on Banker. At some point you have to have some athletes. Last good LB we had was LaVonte David, since then its been meh.

Barrett is/was not a competent passing qb? LOL - Barrett might be the best QB he ever coaches. He severely regressed under Beck and if Beck couldn't get it done with him, I don't think he can get it done with anyone who's "better".

YEAR CMP ATT PCT YDS AVG TD LNG INT RAT

2016 233 379 61.5 2555 6.7 24 79 7 135.3

2015 93 147 63.3 992 6.7 11 50 4 139.2

2014 203 314 64.7 2834 9.0 34 80 10 169.8

I'm excited to see what Langs can do with a qb that's a true passer. I think Riley has made a lot of the necessary changes to get us back on track and definitely think we're on the upswing.

I picked OK so far:

Obvious improvement from year 1 to year 2 in terms of wins/losses.

Improved recruiting from year 1 to year 2 with us being in on some really good talent to the end. Looking for 2018 to make another step forward.

Most importantly is Riley's willingness to replace poor performing coaches with new ones. I would say JP has been a nice upgrade over Hughes. D. Williams is a great recruiter and hopefully a good coach. Diaco should be a nice upgrade over Banker, but the jury is still out. This was Pelini's and Callahan's achilles heel. Their refusal to replace assistant coaches because they were friends.

Mostly concerned about:

O-line improvement and depth. We are screwed if we can't pass protect with our drop back QB.

Transition to 3-4 defense. Could take half the season or longer before it starts working properly. Could be ugly growing pains until then.

Forgive me as this is partially my fault - if you read that article, it was opining for both Beck AND the other OC to be removed. I only talked about Beck because that was the point of discussion in this thread.

As for tOSU's offense, in Herman's last year, they were top 10 in total offense and top five in passing efficiency and scoring offense. Last year? They were ranked 31, 44 and 5 in those categories. And Barrett regressed from his 2014 numbers to 2016.

Is there any chance that Diaco is considering hanging around at NU for awhile, and then trying to take over for Riley once he steps down

I suppose anything is possible, but I always kind of figured this is where Langsdorf fit into the equation.

Er, ummm, I think you're getting WAY ahead of the game there, my friend. Not even God could answer that question.

At Michigan

At Wisconsin

At Ohio State

Michigan State

At Iowa

We get OSU and Wisc at home this next year since we were there last year. The 2018 schedule has us visiting again. I don't remember how the Michigan games worked since it's been a few years. The BIG 10 hasn't done us any favors in 18.
But we only played IN and MD once so far. Man, they're f'ing us hard on the schedule, we have to win the West AND the East, it appears.

Barrett is/was not a competent passing qb? LOL - Barrett might be the best QB he ever coaches. He severely regressed under Beck and if Beck couldn't get it done with him, I don't think he can get it done with anyone who's "better".

YEAR CMP ATT PCT YDS AVG TD LNG INT RAT

2016 233 379 61.5 2555 6.7 24 79 7 135.3

2015 93 147 63.3 992 6.7 11 50 4 139.2

2014 203 314 64.7 2834 9.0 34 80 10 169.8

I'm excited to see what Langs can do with a qb that's a true passer. I think Riley has made a lot of the necessary changes to get us back on track and definitely think we're on the upswing.

The %s look good, but your more pure pocket, pro style guys, a good one, will fling it for 3000+ on ave. Barrett is no pure pocket passer.