Appraising a class - who needs to be a hit

Which players in the 2017 class have to succeed at Nebraska in order for the class to be considered a success years down the road?

This is more than simply ranking the players best to worst, though. Consider the implications of the player's position and recruiting location, and what it will mean to the team's future recruiting efforts if (for example) they pull a highly touted player from the coast but are unable to turn him into a high-caliber player.

In no particular order, Avery Roberts, Tyjon Lindsey, and Guy Thomas stand out as players who I think are pretty critical to future success.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

I'd say those three—Avery Roberts, Tyjon Lindsey, and Guy Thomas—are among the most *likely* to be successful. But for this class to be considered a big success, I think Nebraska will need to play at a higher level with at least eight or ten of this year's recruits on the field—or at least, eventually on the field, say, within the next couple or three years. And moving to the 3-4 scheme creates some new needs that our current roster might not have the ideal personal for (that is, last season's roster). So it's doubly important that a lot of these guys pan out.

One new position of dire need right now is NT. I'd say it's crucial that either Damion Daniels or Deiontae Watts needs to be successful at the new NT position. We gotta have a run stopper. Not sure if we have anyone on the roster right now who is a perfect fit for that.

Another new position of need right now is OLB. Seems like either Guy Thomas or Avery Roberts might be good OLB fits. For one or both spots.

All would ideal. But specificaly;

OT Matt Sichterman: We deperately need a stud on the O Line to succeed.

WR Tyjon Lindsey: Any WR could step up, but as the highest rated one of the class it would be more meaningful to other potential recruits. Someone has to replace Westy.

FB: Ben Miles: We all saw what Jannovich was capable of in this offense.

CB Elijah Blades: Flipping him was massive, but we need immediate impact to show other recruits what we can do in short time with top talent.

QB Tristan Gebbia: We need an elite guy running the show. Plain and simple, ultimate success depends on the QB.

• Haha 1

Which players in the 2017 class have to succeed at Nebraska in order for the class to be considered a success years down the road?

This is more than simply ranking the players best to worst, though. Consider the implications of the player's position and recruiting location, and what it will mean to the team's future recruiting efforts if (for example) they pull a highly touted player from the coast but are unable to turn him into a high-caliber player.

In no particular order, Avery Roberts, Tyjon Lindsey, and Guy Thomas stand out as players who I think are pretty critical to future success.

Is it a cop-out to say everyone? ;)

Seriously though, if I had to cull it down to a 2-3 players: Avery Roberts, Damion Daniels, Deiontae Watts.

We've had enough busts and misses at LB, DT, and DE. It is time the young men we recruited to fill those positions not only meet, but exceed, expectations.

Is it a cop-out to say everyone? ;)

Seriously though, if I had to cull it down to a 2-3 players: Avery Roberts, Damion Daniels, Deiontae Watts.

We've had enough busts and misses at LB, DT, and DE. It is time the young men we recruited to fill those positions not only meet, but exceed, expectations.

I'd agree with your 3. I'm very tempted to switch Lindsey in for one of the big fellas. I think we need a home run play maker. That offense could really use a massive spark.