Resistance Action Items

ACT OF GRATITUDE - THANK YOUR SENATORS FOR KILLING THE ATTEMPT TO REPEAL AND REPLACE ACA

If you have a minute - (lookup) place a call, send a postcard, tweet, FB or ResistBot your reps to thank them for standing strong (or not voting or chide them for their potential support) against the repeal & replace of the ACA.

We spend time and effort complaining, let's reinforce the positives.

• 2 weeks later...

OPPOSE CUTTING US DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION'S BUDGET:

Call or Resistbot: Your three MoCs.

Script: Hi, I’m from [ZIP] and want to express my concern over possible cuts to the Department of Education's budget. With environmental dangers and global competition, we can’t risk the next generation to being poorly educated. Teachers need excellent training and support. College graduates need relief from debt. Can you tell me what is [name] doing to support education for all of America’s kids and fight cutting the Department of Education budget?

OPPOSE CUTTING HOUSING AID FOR AMERICANS:

Write: Ben Carson U.S. HUD, 451 7th Street S.W., Washington, DC 20410

Call: Your 3 MoCs (lookup or leave message).

Script: Hi. I oppose cutting $7 billion to the Department of Housing & Urban Development. I believe in an America where we take care of each other. I am happy to see my tax dollar support people who rely on housing programs like Section 8. I’m most upset that these cuts would give tax breaks to America’s richest. I would like [name] to oppose efforts to cut HUD funding and instead support Americans trying to succeed.

LET YOUR SENATORS KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE WOMEN HAVE THE RIGHT TO HAVE ACCESS TO REPRODUCTIVE CARE:

Write: Or call your 2 senators (lookup or leave message).

Script: I am calling from [ZIP] to express concern about two anti-abortion bills. H.R. 7 has just passed in the House and moves to the Senate to pull all funding for legal abortion in the US. Secondly, S. 231 would modify the 14th Amendment and define life as beginning at conception. I strongly oppose both of these bills and want [name] to do the same.

ADVOCATE FOR EQUAL ACCESS TO HOUSING FOR LGBTQ AMERICANS:

Write: Or call your 1 representative.

Script: I am from [ZIP] and calling to ask [name] to support H.R. 1447. While it is currently legal in the US to deny housing to LGBTQ Americans, this discrimination is wrong and should be remedied. Can I count on [name] to co-sponsor this bill and stand up against housing discrimination?

Teach Im so happy to think it might be helpful and that some younger folks are getting engaged.

If one person takes action cuz of something they see here its all worth it. Its easy enough to do now days with technology - Two years ago I couldnt have told you all my reps names but now I can as well as others serving from other states.

Id be curious if there are certain hot buttons for your students? Remind me, what grade? I often wonder what the young kids are fired up about vs my own generation.

Teach Im so happy to think it might be helpful and that some younger folks are getting engaged.

If one person takes action cuz of something they see here its all worth it. Its easy enough to do now days with technology - Two years ago I couldnt have told you all my reps names but now I can as well as others serving from other states.

Id be curious if there are certain hot buttons for your students? Remind me, what grade? I often wonder what the young kids are fired up about vs my own generation.

I have some uber involved students so they love this stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

OPPOSE DOMESTIC TERRORISM:

Call/Email/Resisbot: Your state legislator (lookup).

Script: I am a constituent in [town] and inspired by the new legislation passed in Illinois classifying neo-Nazis as terror organizations. I would like [name] to author legislation like this in [state]. While I respect the right to free speech and assembly, our neighbors are terrified to walk down the street. [Name] can stop this. Would you like me to send the full text used in Illinois? Thank you.

Text:  http://ilga.gov/legislation/fulltext.asp?DocName=&SessionId=91&GA=100&DocTypeId=SR&DocNum=794&GAID=14&LegID=107638&SpecSess=&Session=

ADVOCATE FOR CENSURE OF THE PRESIDENT FOR CONDONING RACISM:

Call/Visit/Resistbot: Your one house rep.

Script: Hi. I am from [ZIP] and I am deeply concerned about the president’s apparent tolerance for white supremacist views in his cabinet and racist aggression in our communities. I am calling to request that [name] join with fellow House representatives in co-sponsoring H.R. 496, which censures the president for his handling of the Charlottesville violence. Can I count on [name] to sign it?

ADVOCATE TO KEEP DACA YOUTH IN THE US, THEIR HOME:

Call/Visit/Resistbot: Your 3 MoCs immediately.

Script: Hi. I am from [ZIP] calling to ask [name] to support the bipartisan Dream Act that gives permanent legal status to DACA recipients. Is [name] committed to supporting S.1615 (Senate)/H.R. 3440 (House)? Will s/he co-sponsor it?

***Bonus: If you’re in AL, AR, ID, KS, LA, NE, SC, TX, or WV, call your attorney general ideas for a script below: 

•  AL: If DACA ends, AL stands to lose $182 million in GDP. We can’t afford to turn our backs on Dreamers.  Steve Marshall - drop the lawsuit!  Dreamers strengthen cities like Birmingham. Alabama needs Steve Marshall to defend DACA.
  • AR:  If DACA ends, AR stands to lose over $200 million. We can’t afford to turn our backs on Dreamers. AG Rutledge drop the lawsuit!  Leaders U of A Chancellor Joe Steinmetz and Fayetteville Mayor Lioneld Jordan want you to drop the lawsuit and defend DACA.
  • ID:  If DACA ends, ID stands to lose over $159 million in GDP.  We can’t afford the loss. Lawrence Wasden follow TN’s lead, and defend DACA
  • KS:  If DACA ends, KS stands to lose over $335 million in GDP. We can’t afford the loss. KS AG Office follow TN’s lead, defend DACA!  Leaders like KUChancellor Bernadette Gray-Little and KState President Richard B. Myers need you to drop the suit.
  • LA:  If DACA ends, LA stands to lose over $91 million in GDP.  We can’t afford the loss. AG Jeff Landry follow TN’s lead.  Defend DACA!
  • NE:  If DACA ends, NE stands to lose over $150 million in GDP. We can’t afford the loss. AG DougPeterson, please stand w/ the ~3000 Dreamers who make NE strong. Drop the lawsuit like TN, and defend DACA.  University of Nebraska President Hank Bounds and NSCS Chancellor Stan Carpenter already defend DACA. Mayors, faith leaders, the NE Coalition, and Rep Don Bacon want to defend DACA. Listen to Nebraskans.
  • SC:  If DACA ends, SC stands to lose over $252 million in GDP. We can’t afford the loss. Stand w/ the ~6000 SC Dreamers who make SC strong, AG Alan Wilson follow TN’s lead,
  • TX:  Hurricane Harvey has the world’s eyes on Texas so why is Ken Paxton focused on ripping #DACA away from 124,000 Texans? Drop the lawsuit!  If DACA ends, TX stands to lose over $6 BILLION in GDP. Now more than ever, we can’t afford that loss. Ken Paxton, drop the lawsuit!  
  • WV:  If DACA ends, WV stands to lose over $347 million in GDP. We can’t afford that loss. Follow TN’s lead, drop the lawsuit.

COUNTER THE TRUMP ADMINISTRATIONS' EFFORTS TO DECREASE ACA ENROLLMENT:

The president has cut the ACA's advertising budget by 90%, but Americans need care.  His goal is to sink the ACA by not reminding people to sign up.  We can help top 2017 enrollment of 11.4M through the power of social media.

Twitter: Visit this link and retweet.

Facebook: Visit this link and share the pinned post.

Enrollment begins 11/1 and ends 12/15.  www.healthcare.gov 

OPPOSE DEVOS' DISMANTLING PROTECTIONS FOR CAMPUS RAPE VICTIMS:

Call: Department of Education, 800-872-5327.

Script: Hi, I’m from [ZIP], and I’m concerned about Betsy DeVos’ efforts to dismantle Title IX 9nine) which would weaken protections for survivors of sexual assault. I am calling to request keeping these protections in place. Thank you.

The healthcare debate isn't over!  This week is an important one as another set of horrific plans has been presented.  

OPPOSE THE GRAHAM-CASSIDY PLAN TO REPEAL THE ACA:

Call/Visit/Resistbot: Your 2 senators.

Script: Hi. I’m from [ZIP] and I’m calling to express my opposition to the Cassidy-Graham plan to repeal the ACA. Congress needs to improve the Affordable Care Act, not repeal it and leave millions of people without options. Thanks.