Resistance Action Items

*ACTION NEEDED TODAY - SIMPLE EMAIL - SCRIPT BELOW*

The urgency with Graham-Cassidy is real. They only need 51 votes to repeal it right now- after September 30th they'll need 60 votes, so we can't let this slip by!

If you have a spare minute, please submit public testimony for Monday's Graham-Cassidy hearing by emailing the following template with your own personal additions by 1pm EST on Monday 9/25.

Email: GCHcomments@finance.senate.gov 

Script: I/my family rely/relies on quality, affordable healthcare. Because of this, I oppose the Graham-Cassidy bill. My story with [Medicaid, pre-existing conditions,      disabilities, affordability, etc.] is… I would like to see a bipartisan Congressional effort to improve the ACA, not repeal it.

Sincerely, [name] 
     [town, state]

• 3 weeks later...

Time to get this thread active again.  Assignment for the next day or two:

ADVOCATE FOR COMMON SENSE GUN PROTECTIONS:

Write: Or email your 3 MoCs (red or blue).

Script: Dear [name], The tragic events in Las Vegas make me feel [emotion]. I believe we can do better as a country to protect all people. Data shows that better laws prevent unnecessary deaths. Do you have the will and the courage to write them?

Name, party, address

• Plus1 1

ADVOCATE FOR ICE OVERSIGHT & HUMANE TREATMENT OF DETAINEES:

Write/Call/Email: Your 1 House rep.

Script: Dear [name], I would like you to support accountability and transparency in the ICE detention system. In taxpayer-funded immigration detention centers around the US, in-deth reports show that ICE imprisons asylum-seekers and treats people inhumanely (providing inadequate food, insufficient medical care, and subjecting people to solitary confinement). Reps. Adam Smith and Pramila Jayapal’s Dignity for Detained Immigrants Act, addresses these wrongs. I would like you to co-sponsor this legislation. Thank you. Name, address

• 4 weeks later...

LET YOUR REP KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF THE PENDING TAX REFORM BILL:

The top 1% win (shocker). Working class and middle class families will feel it - the bottom 80% of people will get a tax increase. AND they've snuck in a plan to take away our health care in this bill.

CALL/Resistbot/Tweet/EMail YOUR REPRESENTATIVES. The link below allows you to easily call, tweet or message your rep if they're on the fence.  Takes only a minute and volume of contact from constituents matters - especially with those on the fence (right now Collins, Murkowski, Flake, McCain, Corker & Lankford) but everyone needs to hear from us.

overview.jpg

Edited by NM11046

This one applies to everyone, not just people who despise Donald Trump.

Pai sucks. Call your reps. Not only would this cause long-lasting damage to the internet itself, it would most likely hurt Huskerboard itself.

Please call and tell your rep/Senators to protect net neutrality. It's a good thing and its head is on the chopping block.

• Plus1 1

On 11/21/2017 at 2:18 PM, dudeguyy said:

Is this what we want our internet to become? Because make no mistake, if telecom companies can profit off us, they will.

So basically the internet is becoming the modern day cable?  Right now, the internet is like ABC/NBC/CBS/Fox/PBS, where I pay $X.xx per month and I can get it all.  Ending net neutrality will then convert internet to cable packages, where depending on which tier I get, I can get more internet or less internet.  So if I want HBO, I pay extra, if I don't want it, I don't pay for it.  So if I don't care about music, I can let that go slower and not pay for it, if I want video, I order it, much like I do HBO.    In a nutshell, is that what is going to happen?

16 minutes ago, sho said:

So basically the internet is becoming the modern day cable?  Right now, the internet is like ABC/NBC/CBS/Fox/PBS, where I pay $X.xx per month and I can get it all.  Ending net neutrality will then convert internet to cable packages, where depending on which tier I get, I can get more internet or less internet.  So if I want HBO, I pay extra, if I don't want it, I don't pay for it.  So if I don't care about music, I can let that go slower and not pay for it, if I want video, I order it, much like I do HBO.    In a nutshell, is that what is going to happen?

Sort of, but ISP's (the cable companies) already charge for different tiers. What it will allow is the ISP to charge you to use different websites or online services. And it will also allow the ISP's to charge the content producers more, such as slowing down the connection to Netflix (or Google Search, YouTube, reddit, your email provider, etc.) unless they pay a bribe/surcharge to the ISP. Then Netflix (or whoever) will end up charging you more (or start having to charge period) for their service. It will give the ISP's a double monopoly - monopoly on access to you the user and monopoly on distribution to the providers.

CONTACT THE FCC AND SHARE YOUR OPINION ABOUT THE POTENTIAL REPEAL OF NET NEUTRALITY:

Call:  888-225-5322

Hit Option: 1, then option 4, then option 2 then option 0.

You are filing a compliant on filing 17-108.

Example script: "I'm registering a complaint as I feel repealing net neutrality will hurt small businesses and the american people, especially those in rural communities. Corporations should not be allowed to decide who wins and who loses my business.  Repealing net neutrality will hurt America."

You can also file online by:

www.fcc.gov/ecfs/filings/express

Enter 17-108 in the first field and complete the form.

CONTACT YOUR LOCAL REPRESENTATIVES TO LET THEM KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS ON THE POTENTIAL TAX REFORM PLAN:

(It hurts Native people, the sick, and women.)

Call/Email/Resistbot: Your 2 senators (look up here:  https://www.contactingcongress.org)

Script: Hi. I’m calling to oppose the Republican tax plan. Although I agree with the need for a simpler code, this plan would harm Alaska's Native communities by permitting drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. It would increase medical costs for the most vulnerable Americans. It would also override a woman's right to terminate a pregnancy. None of these issues are tax-related. I ask that Sen. [name] do two things: 1. vote against this plan, and 2. Insist on regular order to create a tax plan that works for all Americans. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

LET YOUR REPS KNOW THEY NEED TO FUND THE CHILDREN'S HEALTH INSURANCE PROGRAM (CHIP);

Advocate for our youngest, most vulnerable citizens’ health.

Call/email/Resistbot: Your 2 senators.

Script: Hi. I’m from [ZIP], calling to ask [name] to fund the Children's Health Insurance Program. It’s had 19 years of bipartisian support. A delay in authorizing its funding puts the health of 9 million kids at risk starting this month. We must help our youngest, most vulnerable citizens’ health.What is Sen. [name] doing to reauthorize CHIP funding?

IF TRUMP FIRES MUELLER:

Lots of rumors swirling that something is afoot.  As you start to slow yourself down for the holiday remain engaged and aware.  If you're traveling (or if you're not) the link below will allow you to identify locations for rallies/marches by state that are scheduled to take place in the event Mueller is fired.  

https://act.moveon.org/event/mueller-firing-rapid-response-events/search/

• 5 weeks later...

STAND W/AMERICANS OF HAITIAN, SALVADORAN & AFRICAN DESCENT:

Call/Email/Resistbot: Your two senators and one House representative (https://contactingcongress.org).

Script: Hi. I am from [ZIP] calling to ask [name] to make a public statement opposing the presidents' comments regarding Haiti, El Salvador, and African nations. He has embarrassed the US, and this public comment has only lessoned the respect we have from other nations.  Some of [name’s] constituents are from or descended from these places and would appreciate knowing s/he welcomes them.

(addition for your House Rep) Also, I'd like to urge (name) to support Cedric Richmond & Jerrold Nadler's censure resolution this week.  The citizens of the US and the people of the world need to know that we find this language and attitude inexcusable.

STAND WITH MEDICARE RECIPIENTS AND OPPOSE THE $25 BILLION CUT TO THEIR CARE:

Visit AARPs petition page:  https://action.aarp.org/site/Advocacy;jsessionid=00000000.app217a?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=6830&NONCE_TOKEN=5F624A29991D4BB3A0CDFDC20317F3AD

*Note: If you don’t want additional emails from AARP, unsubscribe immediately.

OR simply use their script (below) to write your senators and House rep directly.

Script:  

As your constituent and an AARP supporter, I urge you to help prevent $25 billion in harmful Medicare cuts.

Millions of older Americans count on Medicare for their health care. But according to the Congressional Budget Office, the large deficits created by the new tax bill would result in a $25 billion cut to Medicare, absent additional Congressional action, leaving many Americans without access to the doctors they know and trust, and forcing hospitals to make hard cuts that could leave their communities without access to needed care. It's outrageous for Washington to force $25 billion in Medicare cuts because they've run up a huge deficit. Congress must take action to stop these unfair Medicare cuts.

I hope that you'll pledge to stop these Medicare cuts.