Resistance Action Items

CALL YOUR US SENATOR TO DEMAND SESSIONS RESIGNATION

Demand Sessions' resignation bc, as he himself said, "No one is above the law."

Call (844) 241-1141, enter your zip code to be connected directly to your Senator.

Suggested Script: "My name is [first, last] and I am a constituent. I live in {city, state}

We now have proof that Jeff Sessions had communications with Russia before the presidential election and that he committed perjury during his senate confirmation hearings. Recusal is not enough. I urge you to demand his resignation immediately. Thank you for taking my call and documenting my request for Senator [name]

• Fire 2

CALL A COMMITTEE (OR BETTER YET, 5) TO DEMAND AN INVESTIGATION OF TRUMPS' AND SESSIONS' TIES TO RUSSIA

Call the following committees and demand that they create a commission to conduct an independent, bipartisan investigation of Trump’s and Sessions’ ties to Russia.

Suggested Script: " I am calling to urge you to create a commission in order to conduct an independent, bipartisan investigation of Vladimir Putin’s ties to Donald Trump and Jeff Sessions and Putin’s interference in our presidential election.

Can I count on the [committee name] to do what's right for the american people and to push strongly for an investigation?"

1. Senate Foreign Relations Committee: 202-224-4651
  2. Senate Intelligence Committee: 202-224-1700
  3. Senate Judiciary Committee: 202-224-5225
  4. House Judiciary Committee: 202-225-3951
  5. Committee on Oversight and Government Reform: 202-225-5074

Please also call the Department of Justice's public comment line at 202-353-1555. script: " I Demand that Jeff Sessions resign and that his successor appoint a special prosecutor to oversee the investigation into ties between the Trump campaign and Russia".

• Fire 2

CALL YOUR REP TO ASK THEM TO OPPOSE THE PROPOSED ACA REPLACEMENT

Not sure who to call? Go to www.whoismyrepresentative.com and punch in your zip.

Suggested Script:

Caller: Can you let me know the Congressman’s position on the Affordable Care Act?

OPTION 1: SUPPORTS “REPEAL AND REPLACE”

Caller: That’s terrible. No one had even seen this “plan” being pushed through the legislative process until 40 hours before it was going to be voted on in committee! How can you tell me it is better than the ACA if no one has had meaningful time to evaluate its impacts? There has not even been a public score by the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) so how can Congressman XYZ assess its impact on the economy or on the future cost of my health insurance?

I want Congressman XYZ to know that I think the rushed and secretive way in which the House Republicans are proceeding is irresponsible. As your constituent, I deserve to know about the potential impacts of a bill of this magnitude and so do all Americans. Any ACA repeal bill needs to be made available for us, external experts, and other MoCs to read and thoughtfully consider for more than 40 hours.

The ACA had a historic number of hours of debate and amendments during Committee development of the legislations. Specifically, the House held 79 public hearings on the health reform bill over the period of an entire year. House members spent nearly 100 hours in hearings, heard from 181 witnesses from both sides of the aisle, and considered 239 amendments from both Democratic and Republican MoCs.

I want Congressman XYZ to commit to a deliberate and transparent process for any potential Obamacare replacement bill. This includes having public hearings on options besides full repeal and allowing MoCs, the public, and nonpartisan agencies like the CBO to review this bill and any others that are proposed and allow enough time for congressional debate.

Will Congressman Bob commit, publicly, to opposing any congressional action on ANY ACA repeal bill without a deliberate and transparent process, including a public CBO score?

OPTION 2: ON RECORD DEFENDING THE ACA

Caller: That’s great! I’m calling to say that if Congressman xyz truly believes, as I do, that it can be challenging to access affordable healthcare in this country, he should do everything he can to protect the historic gains of the Affordable Care Act. This includes doing everything in his power to prevent House Republicans from moving forward with an ACA repeal and replace bill that was released only 40 hours before committee votes and has not been publicly scored by CBO. This lack of transparency and time for debate and the unknown impact on our economy is unacceptable.

Will Congressman xyz do everything he can to stop the Trump Administration and the Congress from dismantling the ACA? Will you commit, publicly, to opposing any congressional action on ANY ACA repeal bill without a transparent and deliberative process, including a public CBO score?

Wonderful. This is extremely important to me and I will be watching closely. Thank you for your time.

• Fire 2

CALL YOUR REP TO STRESS THE IMPORTANCE OF REVIEWING THE UNBIASED BUDGET ESTIMATES PROVIDED BY THE CONGRESSIONAL BUDGE OFFICE (CBO) PRIOR TO VOTING ON THE REPEAL OF ACA.

Suggested Script:

Hi, my name is [NAME], calling from [CITY AND ZIP].

I'm calling to urge [sENATOR/REP NAME] to vote against any ACA replacement bill that has not undergone review by the Congressional Budget Office. It is critical to understand the financial impact of an ACA repeal plan before it comes to a vote.

Thank you for your hard work answering the phones.

• Fire 2

CALL YOUR SENATOR TO ASK THEM TO STOP THE IMPLEMENTATION OF THE NEW MUSLIM TRAVEL BAN

The Trump Administration unleashed a revised version of the Executive Order that bans the travel of immigrants from Muslim-majority countries to the US. The first version was shot down by federal courts in multiple states, citing Trump's own words as proof that the EO's purpose was based on religious discrimination and not national security.

While there are differences between the old and new versions -- the new version does not include Iraq on its list of blacklisted countries, does not affect current visa holders, and does not have an indefinite ban on entry for Syrian refugees -- the underlying religious discrimination remains, as does the EO's lack of necessity. A study by DHS intelligence officials found that the nationality of an immigrant is a poor measure of terrorism risk. Again, it seems clear that the purpose of the revised EO is not national security, but this time it's to placate Trump's ego after the original was heavily criticized. This Executive Order is unnecessary and cannot continue. Sen. Chris Murphy (D-CT) previously introduced S 248 to prohibit the implementation of the first Muslim ban EO, and will now revise the bill to apply to the new version.

SUGGESTED SCRIPT:

Hi, my name is [NAME] and I'm a constituent from [CITY, ZIP].

I'm calling to support Chris Murphy's bill, S 248, to prohibit the implementation of the revised travel ban Executive Order. It is clear that its purpose is not to improve national security but to discriminate against Muslim immigrants.

[iF LEAVING A VOICEMAIL: please leave your full street address to ensure your call is tallied]

• Fire 2

For those who actually come to this thread ... we've got to make sure that we stay engaged. I was thinking today about how fatigue is somewhat setting in for me, and how scary that is. Trumps crooked ways and lying tweets, shady business dealings and the absolutely calculated moves his staff are making are becoming the norm, and are starting to not get much more than a, "Oh well, that's another one to add to the ever growing list of quirks illegal and insulting things he's done."

Now more than ever we need to make sure that we don't take our foot off the gas. Every one of us makes a difference, each call, each town hall meeting we attend, each supportive thing we do in favor of a more appropriate politician at a local level.

STAY THE COURSE.

• Fire 2

Easy one to do from work/home today -

Sign this petition by the ACLU to DEMAND A SPECIAL PROSECUTOR ON SESSIONS AND RUSSIA

Our attorney general may have committed perjury and a foreign government may have interfered in our democracy.

The American people need answers about Russian involvement in the 2016 presidential campaign – and what role Attorney General Jeff Sessions may have played.

That’s why the ACLU is calling on Acting Deputy Attorney General Dana Boente, the official in charge of this investigation, to appoint a special prosecutor.

Following revelations that Sessions didn’t tell the whole truth at his confirmation hearing about his contact with Russian officials during the 2016 presidential campaign, Sessions recused himself from leading the investigation into Russian involvement – passing that responsibility to Boente.

But recusal isn’t enough – only an independent special prosecutor can ensure a full investigation free of partisan politics and conflicts of interest, the kind of investigation the American people deserve.

Add your name now to demand that Boente appoint a special prosecutor – because no one is above the law in America, no matter their political connections.

https://action.aclu.org/secure/special-prosecutor?emsrc=Nat_Appeal_AutologinEnabled&emissue=nationalsecurity&emtype=petition&ms=eml_170321_nationalsecurity_specialprosecutor&__af=query_string_encrypted

• Fire 1

LIVE IN KS OR GA - BIG ELECTION COMING UP - LIVE ELSEWHERE AND WANT TO HELP FROM AFAR?

Elections in Kansas and Georgia continue to be the focus. They are weeks away:

In Georgia, Democrat Jon Ossoff needs your help. Sign up to volunteer to phone bank here: https://electjon.com/volunteer/ You can donate to his campaign here: https://secure.actblue.com/contribute/page/ossoff-homepage

In Kansas, Democrat James Thompson needs your help. Sign up to phone bank here: http://www.votejamesthompson.com/volunteer You can also donate to his campaign with that link.

Do you have friends in Georgia and Kansas? Please enlist their help!

• Fire 2

DON'T THINK YOU AREN'T MAKING A DIFFERENCE ...

One of our congressmen had a staffer at a town meeting yesterday and the message relayed:

"People have asked, “Is it effective to call/write MoCs (members of congress) who do not directly represent you?" She shared that it is VERY EFFECTIVE. While MoCs prioritize communications from their own constituents, they record and consider input from everyone who contacts them.

So, keep calling, keep writing senators and representatives across the country with your concerns. Moderate Republicans, regular reds and Dems need to hear your voice.

• Fire 2

URGE YOUR HOUSE REP TO CALL ON PAUL RYAN TO REMOVE NUNES FROM THE RUSSIA INVESTIGATION:

Hi. This is [NAME] and I’m a constituent in zip code [ZIP].

Intel Committee Chairman Nunes has shown he can’t be impartial and needs to be removed as head of the Committee’s Russia investigation. I’d like [Rep____] to call on Speaker Ryan to remove Nunes as head of the investigation.

Thanks so much for taking my message.

• Fire 2

OPPOSE UNCONSTITUTIONAL RELIGION DISCRIMINATION:

Call: The White House comment line 202-456-1111.

Script: Freedom of religion is a core principle of our Constitution. I oppose the laptop ban and extreme vetting of Muslim immigrants. America is a better place when it welcomes immigrants. I will remember these actions and other recent bans at the next election and vote accordingly.

• Fire 2