Bob Elliott is N

ADS

I like TT. but; can see the point where he may need to go on to smaller school, for seasoning!

Maybe the best coach on our staff came from Tulane. D will was at Zona for 1 year after holding a position at San Jose St. Should we have waited for KW to season his chops at a larger school. If we did that we would never have gotten KW. TT has the respect of the position group and did a great job recruiting the position this year. He is also an Offensive Line guy who could help us out in other areas. If they hire TT, which I think they will, it will be because he deserves the spot.

I'm not worried about the age or the recruiting prowess of this guy. He's a secondary coach so guess who will be right there with him if need be? Dwill is going to get who he gets regardless of the second coach. He has experience in the 3-4 which is what we really need. Less time teaching coaches and more time teaching players. It's one less variable to worry about going in to spring ball as far as installation goes.

This is a great hire.

Pretty much where I'm at on this. He has experience in this system and with Diaco. He also has experience with some pretty good defenses. I'll trust Diaco on this one.

I also believe having another experienced guy on the staff in this system will help teaching it to the players which would lesson the blow of changing schemes.

I bet you Dwill can spin this perfectly too. You want to have a coach with a lot of experience to help get you to the next level. Not sure if this guy has sent many, but being a DC in multiple spots and a coach at ND you'd think he's had some players go. That can only be a selling point for our coaches to use. These coaching hires have all been outstanding. Time to translate it to success on the field.

I think you could sell Terrance Newman pretty hard

I like TT. but; can see the point where he may need to go on to smaller school, for seasoning!

Maybe the best coach on our staff came from Tulane. D will was at Zona for 1 year after holding a position at San Jose St. Should we have waited for KW to season his chops at a larger school. If we did that we would never have gotten KW. TT has the respect of the position group and did a great job recruiting the position this year. He is also an Offensive Line guy who could help us out in other areas. If they hire TT, which I think they will, it will be because he deserves the spot.

The two bolded statements don't fit together.

• Fire 2

The two bolded statements don't fit together.

I think a question mark may be missing....

• Fire 2

Solid hire from coach Riley. If he is an assistant coach great, if he is a consultant that is great too. It really doesn't matter as he will help smooth the transition of the 3-4 to the players and coaches that are learning it. I am really curious to see how the 3-4 plays out at Nebraska. It is designed to stop the run and limit big plays, and it will be exciting to see how it plays out. The corners will have one on one coverage and the safeties may help over the top only on top notch players I believe. If out front 7 controls the line of scrimmage and can get pressure on the qb it allows our experienced secondary to not have to cover for a long time.

Nice article SI did on him a few years ago: http://www.si.com/college-football/2013/01/06/bob-elliott-notre-dame

Good article on Elliot.

I like this hire a lot. Guy seems to be highly respected, is committed and puts in the work, and he knows the system Diaco will be running. Plus I think he'll be just fine recruiting. People put a little too much emphasis on the "recruiter" aspect imo. A lot of these stellar recruiters come by that designation via self fulfilling prophecy. These top recruiters get their rep by recruiting at schools that are going to draw top talent regardless who is recruiting them. So all these Bama guys etc. aren't going to pull all 5* players at NU like they do where they gained their rep. What we need as much or more than recruiters is the guys that can get the most out of the players Nebraska is going to get. We aren't going to pul top ten recruiting classes no matter how many recruiting aces we put on staff.

If it wasn't for his health problems, BE likely would've been Hayden Fry's replacement at Iowa. Say what you will about Iowa but that says a lot about his coaching ability. This was a great hire imo.

KW & DW didn't get strong recruiting reps the way you describe.

I'm not claiming all do get their rep that way. But if you look at the top ranked recruiters, you'll see most of them seem to work for the Alabamas of the world. A lot of the guys that people clamor for around here fall into that category. My only point was, just because a guy recruits well at school X doesn't mean he will recruit as good of talent at NU. I think people overlook that sometimes when they are intent on signing up good recruiters.

After opening up the checkbook to get Diaco, I figured we weren't getting a big name hire. I am pleasantly surprised with who we ended up with considering our likely limited budget. We have some pretty big recruiters, it's good to have another guy who is familiar with the new defensive scheme. It's not only the players who have to learn the new system.

Nebraska does have some disadvantages, but money isn't anywhere on the list. We're one of the richest schools in the country.

• Fire 2