Trump and His Wall

Part of the problem I'm running into while looking into this is I can't find a source that says how much of the border does not have a wall. Everything I search pulls up dozens of references to existing walls, and the bickering going on between political rivals over definitions. I'm presuming, based in the piecemeal information I can get, that there's "wall" across most or all of the border. I'm willing to believe that's not entirely true.

The biggest problem is how "wall" is defined. It's different for each state, each political party, different for Trump & Obama, Obama and the Republicans, etc. Some of that vehicle barrier is defined by Obama as "wall." So, is desert and/or mountain and/or river also defined as "wall?"

If someone can find something that says there's no barrier in some place, I'd appreciate it.

Knapp;

The border from end to end with Mexico is about 1950+linear miles.

While these numbers are not up to current date, Homeland Security had 300 miles of barrier walls and 350+ miles of fencing up between Mexico and the USA. Areas that don't have anything but open range, are affixed with sensors, infrared cameras, rangers, scouts and K9's, for interception.

Estimates to complete the project that DT initially came up with was, $8 billion to $10 billion dollars, to have a new wall built from end to end.

Knapp;

While these numbers are not up to current date, Homeland Security had 300 miles of barrier walls and 350+ miles of fencing up between Mexico and the USA. Areas that don't have anything but open range, are affixed with sensors, infrared cameras, rangers, scouts and K9's, for interception.

Estimates to complete the project that DT initially came up with was, $8 billion to $10 billion dollars, to have a new wall built from end to end.

Those estimates were his election rhetoric to get people to think it's not that much money. It has since been estimated to be much more.

Knapp;

Those estimates were his election rhetoric to get people to think it's not that much money. It has since been estimated to be much more.

Could be, no idea. Color me surprised.

A politician who low balls cost and over states expected results! :)

Cost estimates are all over the board, mostly probably because Trump himself has never said how big it would be or how extensive. I just found this, from an interview a year ago, where Trump said the wall would cost $8 billion, but he also said it wouldn't stretch the entire 2,000-mile length of the border.

Donald Trump on the day New Hampshire voters head to the polls in the primary election estimated for the first time that his infamous wall on the southern border would cost $8 billion — and insisted yet again that Mexico will pay for it.

Asked how Trump came up with that number by MSNBC host Tamron Hall, the GOP front-runner explained that it is a “very simple calculation.”

“What we’re doing is we have 2,000 miles, right? 2,000 miles. It’s long but not 13,000 miles like they have in China,” he said, comparing his self-declared great wall with the Great Wall of China, which took hundreds of years to build and reportedly resulted in the death of hundreds of thousands of workers. “Of the 2,000, we don’t need 2,000, we need 1,000 because we have natural barriers … and I’m taking it price per square foot and a price per square, you know, per mile,” he said.

LINK

So... what's a wall? And how long will it be? And how much of the border does it need to cover before it meets Trump's vision of his "big, beautiful wall?"

Cost estimates are all over the board, mostly probably because Trump himself has never said how big it would be or how extensive. I just found this, from an interview a year ago, where Trump said the wall would cost $8 billion, but he also said it wouldn't stretch the entire 2,000-mile length of the border.

Donald Trump on the day New Hampshire voters head to the polls in the primary election estimated for the first time that his infamous wall on the southern border would cost $8 billion — and insisted yet again that Mexico will pay for it.

Asked how Trump came up with that number by MSNBC host Tamron Hall, the GOP front-runner explained that it is a “very simple calculation.”

“What we’re doing is we have 2,000 miles, right? 2,000 miles. It’s long but not 13,000 miles like they have in China,” he said, comparing his self-declared great wall with the Great Wall of China, which took hundreds of years to build and reportedly resulted in the death of hundreds of thousands of workers. “Of the 2,000, we don’t need 2,000, we need 1,000 because we have natural barriers … and I’m taking it price per square foot and a price per square, you know, per mile,” he said.

LINK

So... what's a wall? And how long will it be? And how much of the border does it need to cover before it meets Trump's vision of his "big, beautiful wall?"

How deep does it have to go to stop them from digging tunnels under it?

• Fire 1

Knapp;

LINK

All good questions. Did he really use the term, big beautiful wall? There is nothing astetic about a boarder wall, IMO. I guess if he sees something I don't, that wouldn't surprise me either.

Donald Trump on the day New Hampshire voters head to the polls in the primary election estimated for the first time that his infamous wall on the southern border would cost $8 billion and insisted yet again that Mexico will pay for it.

Asked how Trump came up with that number by MSNBC host Tamron Hall, the GOP front-runner explained that it is a very simple calculation.

What were doing is we have 2,000 miles, right? 2,000 miles. Its long but not 13,000 miles like they have in China, he said, comparing his self-declared great wall with the Great Wall of China, which took hundreds of years to build and reportedly resulted in the death of hundreds of thousands of workers. Of the 2,000, we dont need 2,000, we need 1,000 because we have natural barriers and Im taking it price per square foot and a price per square, you know, per mile, he said.

LINK

Depends on where the tunnel is located. Some of the sandy areas don't compact much, some soils do. It also depends on the type of tunnel that is dug (Extensive or?). There are 3 classes of tunnels ranging from, least extensive to sophisticated. Ball park average, 50 to 60 feet depth.

Donald Trump on the day New Hampshire voters head to the polls in the primary election estimated for the first time that his infamous wall on the southern border would cost $8 billion and insisted yet again that Mexico will pay for it.

Asked how Trump came up with that number by MSNBC host Tamron Hall, the GOP front-runner explained that it is a very simple calculation.

What were doing is we have 2,000 miles, right? 2,000 miles. Its long but not 13,000 miles like they have in China, he said, comparing his self-declared great wall with the Great Wall of China, which took hundreds of years to build and reportedly resulted in the death of hundreds of thousands of workers. Of the 2,000, we dont need 2,000, we need 1,000 because we have natural barriers and Im taking it price per square foot and a price per square, you know, per mile, he said.

LINK

Depends on where the tunnel is located. Some of the sandy areas don't compact much, some soils do. It also depends on the type of tunnel that is dug (Extensive or?). There are 3 classes of tunnels ranging from, least extensive to sophisticated. Ball park average, 50 to 60 feet depth.
How high does it need to be to prevent ladders and ropes?

LINK

How high does ot need to be to prevent ladders and ropes?
According to world records, the longest rope ever made was 823' long with a diameter of 7.2", the longest wooden ladder is 135', the longest rope ladder was 320'. :) who is going to scale whatever heights to drop any of the aforementioned down? :)
  • Fire 1

If we dig foundations down to 50 or 60 feet, they'll dig a tunnel 70 feet deep. There's billions of dollars to be made with drug trafficking. No wall is going to stop them from going over, through, under or around it.

Most likely true!

Maybe a Moat?

Or

A Border Moat, not to be confused with a Motor Boat.

~ edited for sensitivety.

No clue as to what they are seriously considering at this point. Might end up being nothing, depending on timing and events and ?

If we dig foundations down to 50 or 60 feet, they'll dig a tunnel 70 feet deep. There's billions of dollars to be made with drug trafficking. No wall is going to stop them from going over, through, under or around it.

I agree with this. It's sort of like a padlock...it will only help keep the honest people out. Deeper tunnels and taller ladders, catapults etc. can defeat only a wall.

But I also don't have a problem with building a pretty damn good wall. The border's should be secured and nobody should enter our country without the proper authorities being aware of it. A wall alone does not accomplish this. It would also take survellience towers, drones, video monitoring, motion and heat detectors, etc. and vigilant monitoring. Not sure how feasible the expense of that would be. Personally I'm not too worried about the thousands of brown people that have been crossing that border for many years. It sure would help with possible terrorists and illegal drugs entering the country though. It would be nice to have a workable immigration plan that gets enforced, with secure borders as a prerequisite for that plan to help control what/who enters. Either we're going to have a workable plan that gets enforced or we aren't. Right now it's the wild west down there and it could be a much better situation.

• Fire 1