Asst. Coach Chris Tamas hired as Head Coach at Illinois

knapplc

Chris and his wife Jen (volunteer coach) were credited with making our defense just better enough that we could win a National Championship and the Big Ten Conference Championship in the last two years. It's too bad to see them go, but we have to keep that coaching tree growing.

It'll be exciting to see who Cook brings in to replace Team Tamas.

• Fire 1

• 2 weeks later...

These are the "First-World Problems" that Nick Saban and Urban Meyer have in football. A revolving door for assistant coaches. Oh well. I think its a good problem to have. The more branches in your coaching tree, the bigger the pool to draw from when Coach Cook (eventually) hangs up his whistle, or for when he needs to replace assistants.

AND these coaches will only get better with head coaching experience. It's a good proving-ground to show their mettle. If head-coaching doesn't work out, they will still be better for the experience, and might come back to Nebraska even stronger.

I have a tiny bit of behind-the-scenes knowledge on Cook, and from what I have heard, he values his assistants well, and takes care of them. He is fairly demanding of an assistant's time and loyalty, but takes a genuine interest in them and their personal lives. I don't think he will have trouble finding a good replacement.