The First Trump Impeachment Thread

4 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

I just edited the first sentence in my post and I actually meant to type that I think he will not get impeached.  

Right thats how I toom it from the jump. That he will get past this just like he did the Mueller report. Republicans will cover his a$$ and he will likely survive impeachment. I think most of us understand that is probably what will happen, but again, just because Republicans want to play this like a game and not a major violation of our constitution, doesn't mean we should stoop to the same level. It doesn't matter if he gets convicted or not, we must exercise every posdible option to hold the corrupt accountable. Apathy to corruption will destroy us much faster than corruption will 

5 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Right thats how I toom it from the jump. That he will get past this just like he did the Mueller report. Republicans will cover his a$$ and he will likely survive impeachment. I think most of us understand that is probably what will happen, but again, just because Republicans want to play this like a game and not a major violation of our constitution, doesn't mean we should stoop to the same level. It doesn't matter if he gets convicted or not, we must exercise every posdible option to hold the corrupt accountable. Apathy to corruption will destroy us much faster than corruption will 

Well yes they're exercising the most serious option now and that's (possible) impeachment of course.  I've already told myself I will not be tuning in to any more of it.  Only if I heard there was an actual chance of true impeachment will I then check in.  Until then I'm done with it and am not holding my breath.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Well yes they're exercising the most serious option now and that's (possible) impeachment of course.  I've already told myself I will not be tuning in to any more of it.  Only if I heard there was an actual chance of true impeachment will I then check in.  Until then I'm done with it and am not holding my breath.

This is a true impeachment. I think its important to watch to decide for yourself what happened. Republicans seem like they will defend Trump no matter what at this point so its good to see to what ends they will protect this criminal behavior. Impeachment at this point is really about exposing the GOPs complicity in this corruption. The process of impeachment is not a means to an end to remove the President. It is a process in which Congress holds the President accountable to the Constitution. Removal doesn't matter, Trump violated the Constituition and now this is Congresses duty. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if Schiff is going to drag this out as long as he can. Possibly by calling more witnesses to testify.  Or waiting for the Nunes thing to play out more.  Bolton?

The clear goal is to make sure Trump doesn’t get re-elected so maybe he realizes that up to this point, there is little likelihood the Senate would move to convict.  This, plus the possibility of the Republicans dragging on a Senate trial to harm Warren, Sanders and Biden’s campaign opportunities. They probably view those three as Trumps biggest threat.   

If acquittal after a lengthy trial were to happen it would be a big victory for Trump. 

The republicans clearly now have a senate trial strategy in place that would benefit Trump the most.  Schiff is too smart to not realize this. 

Maybe impeachment isn’t the best strategy at the moment. This all seems like a giant chess match going on.  It’s not as much about holding the president accountable as it is winning in 2020. 

I am probably reaching on all this, but it sure will be interesting  to see how this entire process plays out. 

1 hour ago, Decoy73 said:

I wonder if Schiff is going to drag this out as long as he can. Possibly by calling more witnesses to testify.  Or waiting for the Nunes thing to play out more.  Bolton?

The clear goal is to make sure Trump doesn’t get re-elected so maybe he realizes that up to this point, there is little likelihood the Senate would move to convict.  This, plus the possibility of the Republicans dragging on a Senate trial to harm Warren, Sanders and Biden’s campaign opportunities. They probably view those three as Trumps biggest threat.   

If acquittal after a lengthy trial were to happen it would be a big victory for Trump. 

The republicans clearly now have a senate trial strategy in place that would benefit Trump the most.  Schiff is too smart to not realize this. 

Maybe impeachment isn’t the best strategy at the moment. This all seems like a giant chess match going on.  It’s not as much about holding the president accountable as it is winning in 2020. 

I am probably reaching on all this, but it sure will be interesting  to see how this entire process plays out. 

I think it's both.  The President and the people around him have clearly done some things that warrant an investigation...which that's what the House is doing.

The Dems are MORE THAN willing to do anything to make Trump look bad so he doesn't win in 2020.  

My response to Republicans that claim that's the only reason Dems are doing this is, "Then don't elect a piece of s#!t that does things that warrant the Dems to start an investigation."

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

Well the president wasn't being spied on under false pretenses. Unless you have proof otherwise? Because Barrs investigation into the FISA warrant turned up nada. 

The thing is it is HIGHLY unethical and impeachable in and of itself, and that is without any of the context. A carrot was also being dangled whether thats aid or a White House meeting and that turns this into bribery plain and simple. There is no denying a White House meeting at least was contingent on investigations and that alone is a bribe. There is really no denying aid was held up too but yall like to mudy the waters on that one so I'm just trying to keep it simple. He didn't even need to hold up the aid to make it bribery

Congrats on knowing the alleged quid pro quo was for a White House meeting, not foreign aid.  That alone nullifies the criminal charge. Nobody is legally entitled to get their picture taken with the President and he can condition it on anything he wants 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
41 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Congrats on knowing the alleged quid pro quo was for a White House meeting, not foreign aid.  That alone nullifies the criminal charge. Nobody is legally entitled to get their picture taken with the President and he can condition it on anything he wants 

Thats at a minimum and what you are saying is not true. It is bribery he is using political favor to gain something of value to him. I take it you aren't well versed in corruption law.

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

Thats at a minimum and what you are saying is not true. It is bribery he is using political favor to gain something of value to him. I take it you aren't well versed in corruption law.

Against corruption law or not, as evidenced by polling results, you'll have a hard time convincing people who aren't anti-Trump that what he did was wrong - because most people actually want to know what's up with Burisma.

4 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Weird how comments like this insist on making Democrats the party of law and order and upholding the Constitution. Republicans used to cherish those roles. Oh well.

Seriously. Arguing a president is *allowed* to use his power to try to rig an election is not a good look.

41 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

Against corruption law or not, as evidenced by polling results, you'll have a hard time convincing people who aren't anti-Trump that what he did was wrong - because most people actually want to know what's up with Burisma.

Is there any factual basis to this at all?

Because this took me all of about five seconds to find.

• Plus1 4