The First Trump Impeachment Thread

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Give me an example of a President doing this with a foreign government for personal gain instead of something he wants from a foreign government as far as foreign policy.

In conversations I've had, this is the thing that people who "don't see what the big deal is" have a very hard time understanding...

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Give me an example of a President doing this with a foreign government for personal gain instead of something he wants from a foreign government as far as foreign policy.

This is where the issue gets all mixed up too. If pressuring Zelensky to investigate Burisma was a part of our official foreign policy then nothing wrong happened. The problem is the investigations were a domestic political errand, not a national security objective.

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

What would you consider withholding foreign aid until a country fires a prosecutor who is investigating a company that employs a VP's son?

Edit/add: Are you also aware that many political donations are contingent upon either cabinet appointments or support for certain laws and regulations that will help large corporations to drown out competition?

3 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

What would you consider withholding foreign aid until a country fires a prosecutor who is investigating a company that employs a VP's son?

Funny how I knew you would bring that up. The thing is, even if this was nefarious, Biden must be a better criminal mastermind than Trump because he made sure to do that only after it was official US-Ukraine policy that Shokin be removed. Trump should have done the same.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

Funny how I knew you would bring that up. The thing is, even if this was nefarious, Biden must be a better criminal mastermind than Trump because he made sure to do that only after it was official US-Ukraine policy that Shokin be removed. Trump should have done the same.

And funny how when there's a D next to the person's name, excuses are dug up to justify it. You're definitely right - Trump has a complete and total lack of tact, and he's largely ignorant of typical political protocol... 

16 minutes ago, funhusker said:

In conversations I've had, this is the thing that people who "don't see what the big deal is" have a very hard time understanding...

It's also really apparent that people don't understand the value a meeting in the WH would have for a newly elected Ukranian President.  Folks saying "it's just a WH visit" don't appreciate the politics and level of importance for that man to show he had the support of the USA.

5 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

And funny how when there's a D next to the person's name, excuses are dug up to justify it. You're definitely right - Trump has a complete and total lack of tact, and he's largely ignorant of laws typical political protocol... 

FIFY

• Thanks 2
3 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

And funny how when there's a D next to the person's name, excuses are dug up to justify it. You're definitely right - Trump has a complete and total lack of tact, and he's largely ignorant of typical political protocol... 

It's not really an excuse there buddy, its the facts. Like I've said before, if it was official US policy that Zelensky needs to open an investigation into Burisma then Trump would have done nothing wrong. But he did an end around because no one sees these claims as credible. On the other hand Biden accomplished an official US objective. I'm sorry but that isn't corrupt. If there is corruption there I am wide open to investigating it but the two scenarios you described are vastly different and I have just explained why.

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

Edit/add: Are you also aware that many political donations are contingent upon either cabinet appointments or support for certain laws and regulations that will help large corporations to drown out competition?

For crying out loud....

That would be foreign policy that was communicated throughout the State Dept and NATO.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

Interesting thing about this.  

Shokin was widely viewed as a corrupt prosecutor by almost all of our allies.  It was widely known within our our foreign policy team that he actually needed to be fired because he WASN'T prosecuting corruption in Ukraine.  

LINK

But sources ranging from former Obama administration officials to an anti-corruption advocate in Ukraine say the official, Viktor Shokin, was ousted for the opposite reason Trump and his allies claim.

It wasn't because Shokin was investigating a natural gas company tied to Biden's son; it was because Shokin wasn't pursuing corruption among the country's politicians, according to a Ukrainian official and four former American officials who specialized in Ukraine and Europe.

Shokin's inaction prompted international calls for his ouster and ultimately resulted in his removal by Ukraine's parliament.

You see, in the world of Trump, he does a great job of making up crap that is completely opposite of what reality is.

LINK

“I was forced out because … I was leading a wide-ranging corruption probe into Burisma Holdings, where Hunter Biden was a member of the board,” the statement reads. 

Yet the image of Shokin as a crusading, independent prosecutor is inconsistent with the picture given by half a dozen former colleagues interviewed for this piece. 

Unanimously, they described Shokin as a “dependent” creature; a man made in the image of whoever was his patron at the time. 

In three terms in office, Shokin served three presidents as either deputy prosecutor or chief prosecutor. He made himself useful to all three, the sources say. He made himself especially indispensable to Poroshenko, with whom he has been linked since at least 2001. 

Oh....isn't this an interesting point.

Investigations into Burisma, which only ever covered the period from before Hunter Biden’s involvement in the company, were finally settled in 2016. 

Again....the investigations were about the period BEFORE Hunter got involved with the company.

Hmmmm...

By the time Joe Biden arrived in Kiev in December 2015 to issue his infamous ultimatum, Shokin had lost the support of all but 3.5 per cent of Ukrainians. 

Many MPs were also clamouring for his dismissal. 

First among them was Yehor Soboliev, then a reformist MP of the Samopomich faction and chair of the parliamentary anti-corruption committee. In July 2015, Soboliev pressed for a vote on Shokin’s ousting. The arithmetic was always against him, as the general prosecutor was a figure of the ruling coalition. But he came surprisingly close, collecting 127 signatures from a required 150. Several members of the ruling parties broke ranks to support his move. 

Let me point out (and this is a very important point for me) I am all for investigating Hunter Biden's roll at Burisma.  But, that is a completely different investigation than the current investigation into what Trump did.

Trump is doing nothing but deflecting.  This is like if I suspect you stole from me so I go a week later to your house and shoot and kill you.  I get arrested for murder.  During my trial, I demand that evidence be brought to the trial that you stole from me.  Sure, you may have stole from me, but, that doesn't mean I'm innocent of murder.

It's nothing but a deflection and it literally has nothing to do with the Trump trial.

Now....you said this has happened in every Presidency.  Do you have any other evidence of this since this one is questionable?

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 4
3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Interesting thing about this.  

Shokin was widely viewed as a corrupt prosecutor by almost all of our allies.  It was widely known within our our foreign policy team that he actually needed to be fired because he WASN'T prosecuting corruption in Ukraine.  

LINK

You see, in the world of Trump, he does a great job of making up crap that is completely opposite of what reality is.

LINK

Oh....isn't this an interesting point.

Again....the investigations were about the period BEFORE Hunter got involved with the company.

Hmmmm...

Let me point out (and this is a very important point for me) I am all for investigating Hunter Biden's roll at Burisma.  But, that is a completely different investigation than the current investigation into what Trump did.

Trump is doing nothing but deflecting.  This is like if I suspect you stole from me so I go a week later to your house and shoot and kill you.  I get arrested for murder.  During my trial, I demand that evidence be brought to the trial that you stole from me.

It's nothing but a deflection and it literally has nothing to do with the Trump trial.

Now....you said this has happened in every Presidency.  Do you have any other evidence of this since this one is questionable?

@ActualCornHusker I think this post was meant to be directed at you.

1 hour ago, ActualCornHusker said:

Honestly - how can you still defend Trump after everything you know about him?

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, NM11046 said:

I'd take the leap and say anyone who supports him at this point is unAmerican.  

(and yes, I expect that will trigger people and it should.  If you are ok with this than you are not a good citizen of this country and what it stands for.  If you can read the Constitution and just say, "nah, doesn't really matter right now cuz this guy is chosen by god and we're getting stuff we like" then you are unAmerican)

Not surprising. This post and the amount of likes it's received are definitely indicative of how extremely far left the viewpoints are in this forum