The First Trump Impeachment Thread

I'm guessing only the ones who do impeachable things will be impeached.

I mean... Clinton lied to Congress.

Trump bribed a foreign head of state to fabricate dirt on Biden.

These are impeachable things.

If you stop doing impeachable things... likely you won't get impeached. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Some doozies from today:

Rep. Mike Kelly, a Republican from Pennsylvania, said that, like the Pearl Harbor attack, today "is another date that will live in infamy."

“On December 7, 1941, a horrific act happened in the United States, and it's one that President Roosevelt said, “This is a date that will live in infamy.” Today, December 18th, 2019, is another date that will live in infamy," he said.

Fact Check:  Republican wrongly uses Sixth Amendment to defend Trump

"The Sixth Amendment guarantees the right of the defendant to face their accusers,” Loudermilk claimed. “But not only have the Democrats prohibited Republicans and the President from questioning the so-called whistleblower, his identity has been kept secret."

Facts First: Loudermilk is wrong, Trump does not have a constitutional right to face the whistleblower. The Sixth Amendment only applies to criminal prosecutions. The constitutional rights of criminal defendants do not apply to public officials in a House of Representatives impeachment process.

Republican congressman says Jesus had more due process before crucifixion than Trump

“Before you take this historic vote today, one week before Christmas, I want you to keep this in mind: When Jesus was falsely accused of treason, Pontius Pilate gave Jesus the opportunity to face his accusers. During that sham trial, Pontius Pilate afforded more rights to Jesus than the Democrats have afforded this President in this process," Loudermilk said.

Vice President Pence calls the House impeachment vote "a disgrace"

“It’s great to be with so many friends today, and to be out of Washington, DC,” the Vice President joked to the crowd. “Truthfully, friends, what’s happening on Capitol Hill is a disgrace. The first day of this administration, Democrats in Washington have been trying to overturn the results of the last election, and they’re back at it again today with their partisan impeachment vote.”

Georgia congressman blasts "Democrats' sham process"

Rep. Buddy Carter, a Republican from Georgia, criticized the Democrats' handling of the impeachment process against President Trump during today's debate.  He argued that the Democrats' process has made "a mockery of the rules of the House and is frankly dangerous to this country."

Republican congresswoman says impeachment has distracted from real issues

Rep. Carol Miller, a Republican from West Virginia, mentioned the opioid epidemic, which has ravaged Appalachia, as one of the key issues that has been ignored while lawmakers have moved forward with the impeachment of President Trump.

"We still have not finished securing our border. The opioid epidemic still rages in our communities and we still have not reached a bipartisan resolution on drug pricing."

GOP congressman says there is "zero direct evidence" showing Trump engaged in an abuse of power

Rep. Mike Johnson, a Republican from Louisiana, defended President Trump against the articles of impeachment.

"The Democrats know there is zero direct evidence to show that President Trump engaged in any abuse of power. Their entire case is based on hearsay, speculation and conjecture. There's not a single fact witness that with provide testimony to support their baseless allegations.  They are trying to meet their own arbitrary, completely reckless and Machiavellian timeline to take down a President that they loathe." Johnson said.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Just another normal day, with the president joking about a dead man who served in Congress longer than anyone else because he was a Democrat.

He and his supporters never cease to amaze me in how low they’re willing to stoop. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Fru said:

He and his supporters never cease to amaze me in how low they’re willing to stoop. 

A perfectly graceful, human response from a women who - let's say this again - is defending her DEAD HUSBAND from being mocked by THE PRESIDENT.

Sad this even needs to be said. It is only so because the president is so fundamentally indecent. Anyone who defends this is vile.

This isn't me supporting Democrats or Debbie Dingell in general. This is supporting decency.

• Plus1 4