The First Trump Impeachment Thread

7 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

@BigRedBuster if someone was trying to sneak into your house would you copy the blueprints for them?

This is what I don't get.  The one thing I would have loved about Trump was if he was actually serious about "draining the swamp" and getting rid of the corruption we all can see in our government.

If he is innocent and has nothing to hide, he would make a HUGE statement by being forthright and setting a solid precedent that the Executive Branch must fully cooperate with the Oversight Committee of Congress.  That way corrupt Presidents aren't allowed to continue to corrupt the office.  Instead, Trump is wanting to involve the courts and risk setting a precedent that does the opposite.  Trump is potentially making it harder to fight corruption in the swamp.  

He's either guilty of what he's being accused of, or he is actively breaking a campaign promise that 99.9% of Americans would support him on.   And here you are, not just defending Trump, but this exact action.  Why are you okay with corruption in our government @Notre Dame Joe, present or future????  
:

• Plus1 4

4 minutes ago, funhusker said:

The one thing I would have loved about Trump was if he was actually serious about "draining the swamp" and getting rid of the corruption we all can see in our government.

Yep. Obama was serious about healthcare, so we have Obamacare. Passed early in his second year in office.

Trump claimed to be serious about fixing corruption in Washington. We're three years into Trump's term and all he's done is add more snakes and toads to the mix.

And encouraged a turtle. 

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Yep. Obama was serious about healthcare, so we have Obamacare. Passed early in his second year in office.

Trump claimed to be serious about fixing corruption in Washington. We're three years into Trump's term and all he's done is add more snakes and toads to the mix.

And encouraged a turtle. 

I'm still waiting on the massive infrastructure program he promised.

• Plus1 3

Pretty much guarantees Pelosi won't send the articles to the Senate, doesn't it?

Just have to hope for Trump & McConnell that someone like Bolton doesn't just get tired of it all and talk to the press.

Or worse - that Iran doesn't hack in and find the unredacted documents. Or some whistleblower doesn't just give them to a reporter.

Time is not Mitch's friend in this situation. The longer Pelosi holds, the more info comes out.

• Plus1 1

12 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Pretty much guarantees Pelosi won't send the articles to the Senate, doesn't it?

Just have to hope for Trump & McConnell that someone like Bolton doesn't just get tired of it all and talk to the press.

Or worse - that Iran doesn't hack in and find the unredacted documents. Or some whistleblower doesn't just give them to a reporter.

Time is not Mitch's friend in this situation. The longer Pelosi holds, the more info comes out.

He's playing to his base though. The longest Nancy waits, the more it looks like she's using impeachment as a political stunt to them.

2 hours ago, ZRod said:

He's playing to his base though. The longest Nancy waits, the more it looks like she's using impeachment as a political stunt to them.

Screw the GOP base. Let them think whatever they want. Trump/GOP hardcores are pretty culty right now anyway.

Leave the knife in. Twist it slowly over time. Let more damaging stuff come out. See what happens. Probably nothing, but then there's all that data about how much time the media spent covering emails in 2016 and how much it hurt Clinton...

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, ZRod said:

The longest Nancy waits, the more it looks like she's using impeachment as a political stunt to them.

Oath:``I solemnly swear (or affirm, as the case may be) that in all things appertaining to the trial of the impeachment of ---- -- ------, now pending, I will do impartial justice according to the Constitution and laws: So help me God.''

Republican Senator/juror 1: "I'm not impartial about this at all." We are " "in total coordination with the [Defendant's] counsel."

Republican Senator/juror 2: "I have made up my mind. I’m not trying to pretend to be a fair juror here."

House Democrats: Until we see what the process will be for a real trial, with relevant witnesses that have agreed to testify and impartial jurors, I will hold onto this indictment for now.

Who is using impeachment as a political stunt again? 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, knapplc said:

I'm going to have to disagree with you in light of waning interest in impeachment among persuadable voters.   If it was possible I'd hold the Impeachment Trial during DNC Convention; and have the Senators vote while Biden's delegates are announcing. Because:

6 hours ago, knapplc said:

No judge would allow testimony in a trial about an unrelated case. Witnesses for Bank Robbery A are not called to testify as material witnesses in Bank Robbery B.

If you want Hunter Biden investigated, go investigate him. Nobody is stopping Trump or House Republicans from doing that. He won't do it because he knows there's nothing there. It's a distraction tactic and his followers fall for it every time.

The Bidens are material witnesses in the matter of Ukranians trying to buy influence.  If this was a run of the mill criminal trial the judge would allow them to be subpoenaed or risk getting a conviction reversed on appeal.  Joe Biden bragged about exchanging Congressionally approved aid to stop an investigation. You would have to allow the Defendant to present evidence explaining that he took actions for legitimate reasons.

17 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Joe Biden bragged about exchanging Congressionally approved aid to stop an investigation. 

No, he didn't.  That's a bald-faced lie, and you know it. 

giphy.gif

He was ousting a corrupt prosecutor, who wasn't investigating corruption,  pursuant to US foreign policy and our allies' policies. 

• Plus1 3

14 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

I'm going to have to disagree with you in light of waning interest in impeachment among persuadable voters.   If it was possible I'd hold the Impeachment Trial during DNC Convention; and have the Senators vote while Biden's delegates are announcing. Because:

The Bidens are material witnesses in the matter of Ukranians trying to buy influence.  If this was a run of the mill criminal trial the judge would allow them to be subpoenaed or risk getting a conviction reversed on appeal.  Joe Biden bragged about exchanging Congressionally approved aid to stop an investigation. You would have to allow the Defendant to present evidence explaining that he took actions for legitimate reasons.

Which is a totally different "corruption" case than that of Donald Trump and withholding funds for an investigation into the Bidens.

This is like saying OJ should have testified in the Menendez case because both were high profile murder cases in the 90s....

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, QMany said:

Oath:``I solemnly swear (or affirm, as the case may be) that in all things appertaining to the trial of the impeachment of ---- -- ------, now pending, I will do impartial justice according to the Constitution and laws: So help me God.''

Republican Senator/juror 1: "I'm not impartial about this at all." We are " "in total coordination with the [Defendant's] counsel."

Republican Senator/juror 2: "I have made up my mind. I’m not trying to pretend to be a fair juror here."

House Democrats: Until we see what the process will be for a real trial, with relevant witnesses that have agreed to testify and impartial jurors, I will hold onto this indictment for now.

Who is using impeachment as a political stunt again? 

I'm just staying is all...

43 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

So, in other words, you would continue the pathetic political games being played by political parties...and to hell with the constitution, the country or what is best for America.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Joe Biden bragged about exchanging Congressionally approved aid to stop an investigation. 

As @QMany already said this is false. But it is false on so many levels. First of all the money wasn't even coming from Congress. These are IMF loan guarantees. The IMF is an international organization. The IMF knew what Biden was going to do in regards to leveraging their money in Ukraine and approved of this plan. The investigation you are saying got thwarted by Joe Biden had already died and had zero to do with Hunter Biden anyway.

• Plus1 1