The First Trump Impeachment Thread

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

An interesting side note on the process.  Normally don't think about this but it is the parliamentarian who really keeps things in order.

Senate Majority leaders come and go but she is the steady hand to make sure the nuts and bolts and gears of the Senate work properly.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/01/13/john-roberts-senate-impeachment-whisperer-098050

OK...I can not imagine being young and thinking...."yeah...that's what I want to be when I grow up".

But, it's probably not a bad gig if you are good at it and that's what you like to do.

15 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

@Notre Dame Joe Don't forget, Trump claims he didn't know the guy in the picture above.  This is the person you're defending and putting your trust in.

You should watch anytime Alan Dershowitz (Harvard, lifelong Democrat) is on.  He lucidly points out that famous people cannot remember the thousands of people who get their picture taken.  You'd also learn how "High Crimes and Misdemeanors" was put in the Constitution so Impeachment was not available for any old abuse of power 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

You should watch anytime Alan Dershowitz (Harvard, lifelong Democrat) is on.  He lucidly points out that famous people cannot remember the thousands of people who get their picture taken.  You'd also learn how "High Crimes and Misdemeanors" was put in the Constitution so Impeachment was not available for any old abuse of power 

So, you agree that he abused his power. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
9 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

You should watch anytime Alan Dershowitz (Harvard...

Image result for epstein dershowitz

You would invoke Alan Dershowitz to defend Donald Trump. 

• He defended Epstein and procured his sweetheart deal that allowed him to continue raping children.
  • Epstein pled the 5th when asked under oath if he ever socialized with underage girls with Alan Dershowitz and/or Donald Trump.
  • He has been accused of forcible rape by multiple women though his association with Epstein.

Maybe that is why he writes op-eds arguing the age of consent should be 15...

9 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

You'd also learn how "High Crimes and Misdemeanors" was put in the Constitution so Impeachment was not available for any old abuse of power 

Did that Fox News commentary include any citations or legal support?

At the Virginia ratifying convention, James Madison and Wilson Nicholas said abuse of the pardon power would be impeachable. In the Federalist Papers, Alexander Hamilton wrote: “The subjects of its jurisdiction are those offenses which proceed from the misconduct of public men, or, in other words, from the abuse or violation of some public trust. They are of a nature which may with peculiar propriety be denominated political, as they relate chiefly to injuries done immediately to the society itself.” At the Constitutional Convention, James Madison, the lead architect of the Constitution, said it was “indispensable that some provision should be made for defending the Community against the incapacity, negligence or perfidy of the chief Magistrate.” The president, Madison said, “might pervert his administration into a scheme of peculation or oppression. He might betray his trust to foreign powers.” And if the president lost his capacity or acted corruptly, Madison concluded, that “might be fatal to the Republic.” 

"If you decide that certain acts do not rise to impeachable offenses, you will expand the space for executive conduct.... While there's a high bar for what constitutes grounds for impeachment, an offense does not have to be indictable.... Serious misconduct or a violation of public trust is enough. And the founders emphasized that impeachments were about what happened in the political arena: involving 'political crimes and misdemeanors' and resulting in 'political punishments.' " Whoops, that's Jonathan Turley, the GOP's scholarly expert on the issue. "As I have stressed, it is possible to establish a case for impeachment based on a non-criminal allegation of abuse of power.... As noted below, abandoning such claims would still leave abuse of power as a viable ground for impeachment. It just must be proven.... [T]he strongest claim is for a non-criminal abuse of power if a quid pro quo can be established on the record." (Narrator: it was). 

If you actually read the Report of the Committee on the Judiciary House of Representatives, the section President Trump Committed “High Crimes and Misdemeanors” by Abusing the Powers of his Office incorporates Trump's bribery scheme. There is even a section lucidly titled President Trump’s Abuse of Power Encompassed Impeachable “Bribery” and Violations of Federal Criminal Law. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 7

8 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

I think quite a few constitutional scholars disagree with his assessment of high crimes and misdemeanors. Dersh is either ignorant or extremely dishonest. I think a vast majority of constitutional scholars interpret the phase (at the time the Constitution was written), not as refering to the severity of the crime, but the fact that only those in position of power could commit such an offense as to abuse public trust. Apparently it was a fairly common phrase.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/special/clinton/stories/watergatedoc_3.htm

Mason then moved to add the word "maladministration" to the other two grounds. Maladministration was a term in use in six of the thirteen state constitutions as a ground for impeachment, including Mason's home state of Virginia.47

When James Madison objected that "so vague a term will be equivalent to a tenure during pleasure of the Senate," Mason withdrew "maladministration" and substituted "high crimes and misdemeanors agst. the State,"which was adopted eight states to three, apparently with no further debate.48

That the framers were familiar with English parliamentary impeachment proceedings is clear. The impeachment of Warren Hastings, Governor-General of India, for high crimes and misdemeasonrs was voted just a few weeks before the beginning of the Constitutional Convention and George Mason refrred to it in the debates. 49 Hamilton, in the Federalist No.65, referred to Great Britain as "the model from which [impeachment] has been borrowed." Furthermore, the framers were well-educated men. Many were also lawyers. Of these, at least nine had studied law in England.50

The Convention had earlier demonstrated its familiarity with the term "high misdeameanor."51 A draft constitution had used "high misdeameanor" in its provision for the extradition of offenders from one state to another.52 The Convention, apparently unanimously struck "high misdemeanor" and inserted "other crime," "in order to comprehend all proper cases: it being doubtful whether 'high misdemeanor' had not a technical meaning too limited."53

In short the framers who discussed impeachment in the state ratifying conventions, as well as other delegates who favored the Constitution,69 implied that it reached offenses against the government, and especilly abuses of constitutional duries. The opponents did not argue that the grounds for impeachment had been limited to criminal offenses.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, QMany said:

Image result for epstein dershowitz

You would invoke Alan Dershowitz to defend Donald Trump. 

• He defended Epstein and procured his sweetheart deal that allowed him to continue raping children.
  • Epstein pled the 5th when asked under oath if he ever socialized with underage girls with Alan Dershowitz and/or Donald Trump.
  • He has been accused of forcible rape by multiple women though his association with Epstein.

Maybe that is why he writes op-eds arguing the age of consent should be 15...

A good time to add Donald Trump has also been accused of forcibly raping a 13 year old 

• Plus1 3
22 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

OK...I can not imagine being young and thinking...."yeah...that's what I want to be when I grow up".

But, it's probably not a bad gig if you are good at it and that's what you like to do.

Yea, but can you imagine her as your mother or wife.....  I won't say anything more.

So as to not offend - the same would be true if she were a guy (ok that has a different connotation in today's world) ok try again:   If the parliamentarian was a guy, I couldn't imagine him as a father.....

• Haha 1
38 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Yea, but can you imagine her as your mother or wife.....  I won't say anything more.

So as to not offend - the same would be true if she were a guy (ok that has a different connotation in today's world) ok try again:   If the parliamentarian was a guy, I couldn't imagine him as a father.....

But you could imagine him as your husband????