The First Trump Impeachment Thread

More on the fear behind the GOP supporting Trump  - George Conway goes after the GOP. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/trump-s-senate-impeachment-hearings-will-be-driven-gop-s-ncna1118071

On Tuesday, the impeachment trial of President Donald John Trump will begin in the United States Senate. It ought to be a moment of pride in our constitutional order, a testament to the framers’ vision that no one, not even a president, is above the law. And as such, it also ought to be a moment of patriotic duty, when all members put the Constitution and the rule of law above party and personal interests.

But instead it’s an occasion dominated by something quite different.

Fear.

Fear of Trump drives the actions of the spineless GOP caucus, as does fear of the truth, and fear of a partisan base to which none dare speak the truth.

Perhaps that should come as no surprise. For it was fear that brought us to this critical juncture in American history.

Fear was what Trump used to spin up the Republican base, using stereotypes, lies and hyperbole to dismantle decades of American political discourse.

Fear of facing off against former Vice President Joe Biden was what led Trump to demand, as a price for vital military and security aid, that Ukraine help him smear Biden.

Fear drives Republican members of the Senate today. Fear is what Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell is acting upon as he attempts to limit the length and scope of Trump’s trial. Fear of Trump drives the actions of the spineless GOP caucus, as does fear of the truth, and fear of a partisan base to which none dare speak the truth.

2 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Bolton said he would honor a Congressional subpoena.

Why haven't the House committee's subpoenaed him yet?  Might be valuable information regardless if it is part of the impeachment trial.

I haven't been following the impeachment sage as closely the past couple of weeks, but I have no idea what the hold up is.

1 minute ago, schriznoeder said:

I haven't been following the impeachment sage as closely the past couple of weeks, but I have no idea what the hold up is.

If the Senate is going to keep everything behind doors, no cameras, etc, I'd make a point to put Bolton on camera in front of a committee and let the TV stations run with it.

• Plus1 1

23 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Bolton said he would honor a Congressional subpoena.

Why haven't the House committee's subpoenaed him yet?  Might be valuable information regardless if it is part of the impeachment trial.

Bolton said he would honor a Senate subpoena; he previously told the House he wouldn't honor theirs. But I agree, file the subpoena and let him try to explain himself now. 

5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Bolton won't testify against trump. No matter how much he hates trump, he hates Democrats more.

Even if they get him on the stand, nothing he says will be meaningful.

I tend to agree. And I'd rather hear from Mulvaney anyway. 

In the end, it doesn't really matter. They're dead to rights. 

3 hours ago, knapplc said:

Bolton won't testify against trump. No matter how much he hates trump, he hates Democrats more.

Even if they get him on the stand, nothing he says will be meaningful.

Kind of a glass half-empty take,  don’t you think?  It’s not like he will perjure himself just to avoid helping the dems.  All the house managers really need Bolton to do is acknowledge there was some sort of a quid pro quo or attempt by Giuliani and his goons to get the Ukrainians to announce a Biden investigation.  I would think that corroboration coming from trump’s former NSA would be pretty damaging. 

3 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Kind of a glass half-empty take,  don’t you think?  It’s not like he will perjure himself just to avoid helping the dems.  All the house managers really need Bolton to do is acknowledge there was some sort of a quid pro quo or attempt by Giuliani and his goons to get the Ukrainians to announce a Biden investigation.  I would think that corroboration coming from trump’s former NSA would be pretty damaging. 

"I don't recall" doesn't perjure himself.

13 minutes ago, knapplc said:

"I don't recall" doesn't perjure himself. Isn’t he trying to get some Sort of tell all book deal or something?  

True, but if suddenly has better recollection for his new book deal, he could be in some deep sh!t. Not telling the whole truth can be viewed as perjury.  Maybe he thinks that sticking it to Trump is better for the Nation, rather than just helping the dems. One can hope.