The First Trump Impeachment Thread

When they are fearful of the truth, they hide it in darkness.   As the GOP spins it devious web to protect the president, may they get caught in it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trumps-lawyers-senate-gop-allies-work-privately-to-ensure-bolton-does-not-testify-publicly/ar-BBZa0RT

President Trump’s legal defense team and Senate GOP allies are quietly gaming out contingency plans should Democrats win enough votes to force witnesses to testify in the impeachment trial, including an effort to keep former national security adviser John Bolton from the spotlight, according to multiple officials familiar with the discussions.

While Republicans continue to express confidence that Democrats will fail to persuade four GOP lawmakers to break ranks with Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), who has opposed calling any witnesses in the trial, they are readying a Plan B just in case — underscoring how uncertain they are about prevailing in a showdown over witnesses and Bolton’s possible testimony.

One option being discussed, according to a senior administration official, would be to move Bolton’s testimony to a classified setting because of national security concerns, ensuring that it is not public.

To receive the testimony in a classified session, Trump’s attorneys would have to request such a step, according to one official, adding that it would probably need the approval of 51 senators.

But that proposal, discussed among some Senate Republicans in recent days, is seen as a final tool against Bolton becoming an explosive figure in the trial. First, Republicans involved in the discussions said, would come a fierce battle in the courts. 

19 minutes ago, commando said:

keep investigating but don't impeach.  just let the facts drip drip drip into the pubic domain and campaign against a crooked senate that obstructs justice.  the campaign might be more strategic to let the senate convict itself and see if it can't be turned.   

The problem is that we need people like Bolton to testify under oath. Releasing a book can easily be dismissed as made up vendetta. 

My prediction:  There will be witnesses called as there is just too much public pressure not to at this point.  Trump will exert executive privilege to try to block and this will go to the Courts. As the Supreme Court Essentially already stated after Nixon that executive privilege cannot be used to conceal evidence, I don’t see how witnesses testimony could then be prevented by the White House. 

• Plus1 2

Just now, teachercd said:

What happens if he doesn't get kicked out of office?

I mean, your best guesses, what happens?

Personally I have a hard time seeing him winning another election but that's just my thought. Plenty of people think the opposite. I do know its not going to be a landslide Trump victory. If he does win it will be in a very similar fashion to last year. 

9 minutes ago, teachercd said:

What happens if he doesn't get kicked out of office?

I mean, your best guesses, what happens?

There’s < 1% chance he’ll get kicked out.

And it depends on whether he thinks he’ll go to jail when he’s done serving his last term. If he’s scared enough about what’s going to happen to him after his presidency is over, I think he might attempt a coup. I give it at least a 15% chance. There are a lot of pending legal issues for him right now.

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

There’s < 1% chance he’ll get kicked out.

And it depends on whether he thinks he’ll go to jail when he’s done serving his last term. If he’s scared enough about what’s going to happen to him after his presidency is over, I think he might attempt a coup. I give it at least a 15% chance. There are a lot of pending legal issues for him right now.

There’s will be a much greater chance for removal with appropriate witnesses testimony.  In any case, I see us having a new president next year. At some point the  GOP will have to lick their wounds and just focus on maintaining their majority in the senate.  

17 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Personally I have a hard time seeing him winning another election but that's just my thought. Plenty of people think the opposite. I do know its not going to be a landslide Trump victory. If he does win it will be in a very similar fashion to last year. 

I never thought he would even want a second term.  I was surprised that he wanted to run again.