The First Trump Impeachment Thread

5 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Every President has the right to frank and confidential advice from members of his administration .  Trump won't take less then everyone else.  Schumer was offered a deal on witnesses, yours for ours, and turned it down.  According to someone's logic here, the Bidens are acting like a guilty family. 

That’s funny. 

I can express privilege for my lawyer to not testify against me until he’s involved in helping me commit a crime. 

That argument doesn’t hold water. 

• Plus1 1

6 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Every President has the right to frank and confidential advice from members of his administration .  Trump won't take less then everyone else.  

• Trump has not asserted executive privilege, for the tenth time.
  • Executive privilege is not absolute. See US v. Nixon, when a unanimous SCOTUS ruled against the President's withholding of criminal evidence. 
  • Lev Parnas, Rudy Guiliani, and John Bolton are not members of his Administration.
6 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Schumer was offered a deal on witnesses, yours for ours, and turned it down.  According to someone's logic here, the Bidens are acting like a guilty family. 

Clinton testified under oath. Are you offering a Biden for Trump deal, or is your cult leader too much a coward?

• Plus1 4

i can't get this tweet to embed...so copy and pasting  it here.   he does have a point

“The story is not that Putin is masterminding a vast brilliant attack on Western democracy. The story is Russian Mafia state cultivating profit-yielding relationships with aspiring US Mafia boss and his band of crooks, subverting democratic institutions.”
  • Plus1 1

Note the front page of Fox News. Not one headline about the actual issues in the impeachment trial. Everything is personal, deflecting, about the Democrats, about Schiff, about people being offended (thought that was a snowflake issue??!?!), etc.

When you can't debate the facts, you deflect the narrative.  And this is what half of America is consuming as their news.

e8rW3yo.png

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, funhusker said:

At what point can we call a poster "stupid" without it being a personal attack, but rather an accepted truth???

That's never going to be an option. Talk about their behaviors instead of your interpretation of their behaviors. 

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, Huskerzoo said:

That's never going to be an option. Talk about their behaviors instead of your interpretation of their behaviors. 

That seems to work...

As a teacher/coach I’ve had many conversations about “hey, I appreciate your efforts. But this class/position isn’t a good place for you to showcase your skills and be successful”

If a 12-18 year old can be told that, why not an adult?

I appreciate his persistence, but this thread isn’t doing him/her any favors.  It’s just sad.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Note the front page of Fox News. Not one headline about the actual issues in the impeachment trial. Everything is personal, deflecting, about the Democrats, about Schiff, about people being offended (thought that was a snowflake issue??!?!), etc.

When you can't debate the facts, you deflect the narrative.  And this is what half of America is consuming as their news.

e8rW3yo.png

the otter defense seems to be working for them.

This commentary is spot on - Michael Gerson typically is and he is again in his view of a post Senate acquittal of the lier in Chef.  The real danger of the Senate trial is that if Trump isn't convicted he will be  empowered to become the ultimate dictator of sorts - trampling on our election laws and doing much worse than what we've seen thus far.  

I heard my Senator Langford state the party line - "Nothing New".  If you listen wt an open mind, the House Mgrs are presenting a convincing argument for removal.  There is no doubt in Trump's wrong doing.  History will judge this Senate in years to come as a Senate full of political hacks who put party before country and their own interest before honor.   Not unlike their cult leader.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/michael-gerson-donald-trump-impeachment-trial-080345388.html

Michael Gerson, a former speechwriter for President George W. Bush, on Thursday warned of the “further danger” to come if the GOP-controlled Senate votes to acquit President Donald Trump over his Ukraine misconduct.

“The president never views a near-miss as an opportunity for reflection and reformation. He sees it as permission to indulge his every urge,” Gerson wrote in a new column for The Washington Post.

“And his most consistent urge has been to seek unfair advantage in the upcoming presidential election,” he continued. “The months between Senate acquittal and the November vote will be fertile ground for further cheating.”

Gerson also called out the “barefaced bad faith” of Republican senators in the impeachment trial who have complained there’s “nothing new” in the case Democrats are making against Trump, while simultaneously “actively opposing the introduction of new evidence and new testimony.”

“In this matter, elected Republicans are mainly serving, not the president, and certainly not the republic, but themselves,” Gerson wrote. “Having decided that no amount of evidence would be sufficient for conviction, they realize that the presentation of a full and compelling case would convict them of servility and institutional surrender. So a quick and dirty Senate trial is the best way to limit the exposure of their malpractice.”

• Plus1 3