The First Trump Impeachment Thread

11 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I'm not sure if him telling Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman

""Get rid of her!" is what the voice that appears to be President Trump’s is heard saying. "Get her out tomorrow. I don't care. Get her out tomorrow. Take her out. Okay? Do it."" 

is referring to replacing her professionally. I think ABC just wants to be careful. But those words seem to insinuate more than firing.

Especially when coupled with:

• Later text messages about monitoring her movements, 
  • "They are willing to help if we/you would like a price ... Guess you can do anything in the Ukraine with money ... what I was told," and
  • The fact she was warned for her safety to leave on "the next plane" out of Ukraine.
  • Plus1 3

22 minutes ago, QMany said:

Especially when coupled with:

• Later text messages about monitoring her movements, 
  • "They are willing to help if we/you would like a price ... Guess you can do anything in the Ukraine with money ... what I was told," and
  • The fact she was warned for her safety to leave on "the next plane" out of Ukraine.

The timing of it is also pretty interesting 

3 hours ago, NM11046 said:

I heard an interesting take ont he radio, so unclear who said it or where I could go to find it.  But essentially it said, the Boomer GOP is dying, the youth gaining their voting rights in the next 10 years is old enough to see what's going on, they're watching people lie and be rewarded, people telling them that there are more important things than the environment and gun control, equal rights etc - they will never choose to be a Republican, they will not register, they will not vote for the GOP - the longevity of what's happening now will result in an entire generation that will refuse to support the GOP an their goals and it will die off as well.   So the short term is our democracy getting blown apart and the next generations will have to rebuild it.

Culture changes slowly but it does change.  Stupidity by one party will hasten that change.  The GOP have more than demographic issues to deal with long term. 

7 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I mean WTF can be done about something like that? It is insane really and if nothing is done sets the stage for further abuse in the future. 

There's a really interesting dynamic in play that I'm not sure will show up or not in a meaningful way. Judge Roberts is supposedly really concerned about his legacy. Given there's a somewhat limited role, I don't know how much he can do. However, given that he is presiding and that this process is making a mockery of any semblance of a fair trial, I wonder if he might be research things to do. There was an interesting article in the Atlantic the other day that may be relevant sooner rather than later: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/01/impeachment-trial-without-witnesses-would-be-unconstitutional/605332/

This is further backed up by this politico article: https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/01/22/founders-wanted-john-roberts-assert-himself-impeachment-trial-101727

Now here's the thing, Roberts doesn't love activist judges. So it turns into a bit of a question of will he turn activist judge in order to prevent his legacy being that he presided over one of the most absurd instances in American history. Or will he want his legacy to be something else (who knows what). 

If Roberts doesn't get involved, we know the outcome already, Trump will be able to do whatever he wants. If Roberts takes actions, even if it's viewed as a problem, it would likely go to the Supreme Court and come back a 4-3 decision favoring whatever he chooses to do. 

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, funhusker said:

I don't know....

Listening to the kids in my school, which is in the "liberal" part of Nebraska, doesn't make me believe that current Trump Republicanism is going to go away.  Now, I think the gap is closing.  Which means in 10 years the dems might lose "statewide" elections 60/40 instead of 75/25...(please know my numbers aren't based in reality, just the fact that the problem isn't going to go away with the next generation)

And then there is this...

https://seeingrednebraska.com/published/nebraskas-community-leaders-need-to-stop-dicking-around/

Wow.  I initially started reading the article happy that the admin made an effort to acknowledge the known problem by bringing someone like her in.  Then, wow.  The admin should be fired for not doing anything at all and for their cover up after the fact.  And the parents.  wow.

On another note - look at the population and where it's at, blue vs red states currently.  If the reddest states like NE see a shift from 60 to 75 that's significant.  Imagine the shift in areas where there already is more openness and activism.  I don't think it goes away in the next generation, but I think the power does, and the majority shifts.

Nothing along the lines of  "I'm very troubled by what I've heard" or, "Withholding funds to benefit your political campaign would be an abuse of office."

Just temporizing, use of the White House's "repetition" word.

I believe they call people like this a "stooge." 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Nothing along the lines of  "I'm very troubled by what I've heard" or, "Withholding funds to benefit your political campaign would be an abuse of office."

Just temporizing, use of the White House's "repetition" word.

I believe they call people like this a "stooge." 

Deb doesn't want facts like she said. The facts are pretty alarming if she cared to pay attention, and quite a bit "stranger" than mentioning the Bidens.

I've been considering sending her and Sasse an email even though I'm not living in the state anymore. As a Nebraskan born and raised (I'll never be anything else no matter where I live) they're an embarrassment.

• Plus1 1