The First Trump Impeachment Thread

34 minutes ago, QMany said:

TL;DR: "He did it; but we don't care, because we need to rig elections to win." Republicans/enablers. 

This is my personal favorite...

This high bar I have set is not new for me. In 2014, I rejected calls to pursue impeachment of President Obama, noting that he “has two years left in his term,” and, instead of pursuing impeachment, we should use existing tools at our disposal to “limit the amount of damage he’s doing to our economy and our national security.”

In other words, we were "nice" to your guy so you should be nice to ours. Give me a freaking break!

3 minutes ago, commando said:

we all knew that trump would not be removed from office by this senate.   but some of us  hoped they would at least pretend to be fair and impartial.   those hopes look to have been dashed.   oh well....the senate has convicted itself IMO.

As in the Art Critic painting by Norman Rockwell, it is indeed the Art that judges the critic. In the same way the senate has been judged

and found wanting.

Art-Critic.jpg

• Plus1 2
22 minutes ago, QMany said:

TL;DR: "He did it; but we don't care, because we need to rig elections to win." Republicans/enablers. 

Sasse, spineless and cowardly as always. He never fails in this regard.

What it boils down to is this: It's on ALL the rest of us that realize how wrong this is and how far gone the GOP is to crush it this fall. It's going to have to be a very mottled coalition of Never Trump conservatives and leftists and moderate liberals and centrists and minorities and anyone else currently being marginalized and abused with some fight in their heart and conviction to take back their country instead of letting this corrupt farce continue to spiral us farther and farther from a healthy, functioning democracy.

These people are utterly craven; all they understand is power. They're not going to give it up willingly. It's going to have to be taken from them by the rest of us.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, commando said:

we all knew that trump would not be removed from office by this senate.   but some of us  hoped they would at least pretend to be fair and impartial.   those hopes look to have been dashed.   oh well....the senate has convicted itself IMO.

I had a very tiny glimmer of hope that Senators, including mine, would uphold the Constitution and remove Trump. I didn't think they would so quickly dispose of this without witnesses. Call me naive. 

Politically, this is probably the best outcome for Independents and Democrats, short of removal. This cover-up will hang heavy over their necks in November, 2022, etc. 

Just now, QMany said:

I had a very tiny glimmer of hope that Senators, including mine, would uphold the Constitution and remove Trump. I didn't think they would so quickly dispose of this without witnesses. Call me naive. 

Politically, this is probably the best outcome for Independents and Democrats, short of removal. This cover-up will hang heavy over their necks in November, 2022, etc. 

Hell, even a loss this year isn't electorally horrible for those groups. Things will continue to spiral and likely outright implode at some point, a la second term W Bush, which would probably mean Dems winning back the Senate and somewhat comfortable margins in both houses of Congress.

But the ramifications of an unshackled Trump who is unafraid of consequences and thus becomes as corrupt and self-serving as he actually wants to be could well destroy the damn country in the meantime, which is why we can't let it come to that.

This fall is probably the last chance to save this thing, if it’s not already too late. And even then it might only delay the inevitable. If the GOP doesn’t stage a coup and just completely take over and hold fake elections starting from 2021 on, it could easily still happen in the future. If the DNC wins the Senate they absolutely have to change the rules so this can’t ever happen again. 

The Republicans are either dumb as doorknobs and have no foresight into what could happen if it was a Democrat in charge after setting this precedent, or they plan on taking over our new non Democratic government. 

• Plus1 2

So, Murkowski is a No on witnesses, which is surprising, but what the hell is this rationale?

I mean many of us understand that what she's saying is true. But it's actually shocking for her to come right out and say "this thing was rigged, my vote didn't matter, so I'll vote no to end it."

She also voted no explicitly to avoid a tie and avoid making Roberts have to make a hard decision.

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, QMany said:

I agree...I would think if you are a Democrat that you just realized that you are winning the election with ease.

5 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I agree...I would think if you are a Democrat that you just realized that you are winning the election with ease.

I wish I could agree wt the ease part.   I believe it will embolden trump to do even worse.  He's probably on the phone asking Putin for help now in scheming something new up.   He will lie his way through the primaries, nomination and general election. He will attack his opponent without any concern about backlash and he will promise jobs, a booming economy etc and the foolish will forget these days and just vote their pocketbook.  Could he get re-elected.  Yes.  He shocked us once and it is possible again.  Very important the Dems put forward a strong ticket.

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

Going to court likely would have taken months to resolve and they simply didn’t have that kind of time.  You know this to be true. To address your other point. Executive privilege was NEVER exerted.  So that deflates your argument about that. 

The Ds had time for over 2 weeks vacation at the end of the inquiry.  Then Nancy dilly dallied for what seemed like a month after the vote.  That's a lot of time for the Courts to rule on these issues that would clearly be fastracked.  But I understand.  Nadler said they already had overwhelming proof, so we can ignore last minute attempts to reboot the trial.

• Thanks 2
5 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I wish I could agree wt the ease part.   I believe it will embolden trump to do even worse.  He's probably on the phone asking Putin for help now in scheming something new up.   He will lie his way through the primaries, nomination and general election. He will attack his opponent without any concern about backlash and he will promise jobs, a booming economy etc and the foolish will forget these days and just vote their pocketbook.  Could he get re-elected.  Yes.  He shocked us once and it is possible again.  Very important the Dems put forward a strong ticket.

Yeah, I get what you are saying but Sanders or Biden can promise a booming economy and jobs too.